Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2015, 13:30   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Auto pilot for 27ft Hunter with wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Would you say it would be overkill to go with a hydraulic pump or will I be fine with the wheel pilot?
The only time to go with a hydraulic pump, is if the boat is already equipped with hydraulic steering.

Raymarine wheel pilots are great. The most popular autohelm for boats under 40 feet by a long shot. Many a boat has sailed many a mile with these. I have installed many. On my personal cruising boat (with wheel steering), I have a (15 yr old?) Raymarine ST4000+ wheel drive. How can you tell if I have it on? If I am raising, dousing, or reefing sails sails, single-handing, the engine is running, or if we have been underway more than 2 or 3 hours.

A linear drive under the cockpit sole is a beautiful thing and easily installed on a vessel with quadrant and cable steering. They are about twice the money. Quiet and strong. I am installing a Raymarine P70 with Type 1 linear drive on a Grampian 28 next week. Green with envy.

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, wheel