Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
AT&T Satellite Phone?

Possibly the answer to our needs is coming with technology we are already familiar with?......i2f

AT&T to sell satellite phone from TerreStar
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:41   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Satellite internet at sea

imagine2frolic,

1) The Terrastar project has been discussed in detail......
Here's a link to one of the detailed discussions...
SSCA Discussion Board • View topic - Satellite Internet Service?

a) In a nutshell, it's NOT designed to cover offshore waters, but rather the continental US / Canada...... (and possibly some spot-beam coverage of PR / USVI, Alaska, and Hawaii....)
But, their own marketing info, states only North America, not the Caribbean, etc.....
Using their spot beams, this can mean little or no coverage at all, when more than 50 miles away, from the spot beam.....
b) It's not going to be available until next spring....and even then, not for consumers / private users...
c) It's also directed at / core marketed to, "first-reponders" in emergencies....as well as fleet/corporate users.....(with possible "consumer" version / plans after the intial rollout to their core market....)

2) And, here's some new info:
Quote:
AT&T Makes Deal with TerreStar to Offer Integrated Cellular/Satellite Solution
AT&T announced its plans to collaborate with TerreStar Networks to offer an integrated smartphone that will combine cellular wireless connectivity and the ability to connect to a satellite network as a backup using one device and one number.

Users will have access to both AT&T cellular and the TerreStar satellite network with one hand-held device that is both smaller and more feature-rich than other satellite devices.

The TerreStar Genus dual-mode cellular/satellite smartphone gives users the ability to access the TerreStar satellite network when AT&T’s cellular wireless network is unavailable. In those cases, TerreStar's satellite will act as a cell site to provide coverage to help users stay connected.

The partnership announced today is suited for government, energy, utility, transportation and maritime users. According to the partners, the integrated service can also provide a critical communications back-up capability, important to public safety agencies, first responders, emergency services and disaster recovery groups.

The AT&T integrated solution is expected to be available for enterprise, government and small business customers in the first quarter of 2010. AT&T is working on a similar solution for consumers.•

I do hope this helps....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 13:35   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I read it's abilities. My point being which I did not type. Is it's a start in the right direction.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 14:31   #4

Boat: Coronado 25 (Don't tell her I'm shopping for an upgrade)
I saw this announcement elsewhere and got really excited upon reading the headline. The significant limitations that John points out took the jam out of my donut as soon as I started reading the article. In any case... I'm with you i2f, it's some movement in the right direction.

Tags
satellite phone