Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 13:50   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet
Aqua Map crashes

Has anyone experienced Aqua Map app crashing with AIS feeds? I am running Aqua Map with an AIS data feed from from our Digital Yacht AIT 2500 and Digital Yacht Navlink2 (WiFi). If the AIS data connection is turned on the app crashes on both the iPad and the iPhone. The other data feeds from the same devices (heading, wind, depth, etc.) work fine. AIS feeds to the Navionics app work fine on the iPad and iPhone.
I am asking the forum because support from Aqua Map has been nonexistent.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:12   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Aqua Map crashes

Sorry, I cant help with your issue. But, we had some issues setting up on a second device and support from aquamaps was fantastic.
Heres the name of the person that helped us
Pietro Ferri • support@globalaquamaps.com
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 15:16   #3

Thanks Chris. I have sent them at least two emails on the issue and have not received a response. I will try again.
Old 15-04-2021, 16:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Suggest to register with the Bob423 web site as they will respond to your issue directly
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:03   #5

Before reinventing the wheel has anyone solved this problem? I am experiencing the same issue with Aqua Maps crashing when connected to my digital yacht gateway.
teacherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:12   #6

I don't think the problem has been solved. It is either a DY or an Aquamap issue and I would put my money on Aquamap because I essentially gave up on Aquamap and went with TZ iBoat and have not had any issues. It works seamlessly with DY, does not crash, will simultaneously display ALL the DY data on all our iOS devices. TZ has been around for a long time as a high quality professional solution for the PC but the iOS apps do the same thing. I still have Aquamap but may not need it in the Bahamas as TZ offers the same explorer charts. Navionics will also work with DY (and doesn't crash) but it only shows a very limited range of data.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:41   #7

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherm View Post
Before reinventing the wheel has anyone solved this problem? I am experiencing the same issue with Aqua Maps crashing when connected to my digital yacht gateway.
I was having the same issue, however either the most recent update or the one before that solved the issue. I would imagine you have, but if not make sure your app is up to date.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:59   #8

As I recall, it only crashed if I turned on the AIS feed. I will update the app and see if it works reliably. However I will stay with TZ as it is provides so much more information.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:00   #9

Thanks for the feedback!! I will give the app reload a go and give there support structure an opportunity to solve the issue…
teacherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 19:04   #10

I updated Aqua Map to 27.0.8 and it ran without a problem for about 6 hours but then crashed. Once it crashes the first time, then each subsequent crash has a shorter run time (from minutes to just seconds). It seems to become less and less stable but at least it is consistent between our two iPads and iPhone. Of course if AIS is turned off, it runs longer without an issue. I do not see the same behavior with DG and Navionics or TZ. Both of those apps can run for days without an issue.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:52   #11

Boat: Downeaster 38

Add me to the list of people having AquaMap crash and I'm also using the Digital Yacht NavLink2 wifi. Turning off AIS definitely helps (I'm in an area with 100s of AIS returns). But it always crashes eventually. Turning off the wifi and back on will get it working again so maybe the problem is on that end.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:55   #12

add me as well. This little bug is dogging me. I hope there is a solution soon.

iPad, DY Navilink 2
Rogertalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:28   #13

Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I'm using Android with a Vesper XB8000, same issue with crashing. I contacted AquaMap support but they weren't much help. They said they were working on it and could offer me a refund. The other problem I had was that the app was very slow when I had a route active. It seems to be linked to the number of waypoints (on the ICW there are a lot). I'll check TZ out.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote