Well everything is a compromise, unfortunately. The pros and cons for installing a vane to my boat
(42' centre cockpit
with hydraulic steering
and a long sugar scoop)
1. Redundancy (a big one) carrying a spare pump
won't help me much if the failure is
a lightening strike, electricity failure or rudder
2. Does not require electricity (I can run the motor
for an hour anyway)
3. Quiet-my pillow will be directly above the ram (a huge deal)
1. Cost (about $7000 for the auxiliary rudder Flemming or Hydrovane
2. Cannot carry a dingy on davits
and there is no room on foredeck, so I'll
probably have to carry a roll-up which is not my preference.
3. It will make a huge mess of the swim platform
Hmmm, I think I've answered my own question. I just don't like the answer. Is there anything else I should consider?