Originally Posted by unlimited
Are there any features you think the Siren lacks? Or things that don't work
There are a few minor things I'd want to modify if I ran Product (which is actually a large part of my background - software
product management), but none of them are deal-breakers, AND the company is really good about taking feedback and making improvements along the way. That said, here are some things on my wish-list:
1. The system has an option to send a daily (nightly, actually) status report, which I'd call more of a snapshot in time of all of the current
conditions. I think this can be improved to give the *changes* during a day. For instance, the daily status report saying that the bilge pump is currently off doesn't really give me any insight into what happened during the day -- for instance, the bilge pump came on 6 times for a total of 106 seconds. I can of course see that information in the app itself - there is an event log and graphs that visually display the information.
2. I wish the app allowed for different notification sounds for different things, or at least a different overall notification sound. Or, had the ability to override a "silent" setting. If my boat is sinking and the high water alarm triggers, I want to hear about it even if I have my phone
on silent. And I want it to sound different because I'm so sensitized to the many notifications I get that unless it is different, it is the same and drowned out. I realize some of my wishes here are things that from a policy perspective both Apple and Google
don't allow, but other life-safety apps get around them so why not Siren Marine too? As a side note I've already changed at the Android OS level the notification sound for the Siren Marine app so it is different, but even within there I want different sounds based on the severity of the trigger. Again, not a deal breaker.
3. The company name is "Siren Marine" and I've long thought that it should be shipped with... well... a SIREN! I still need to buy one for my setup. But, I do think it should be part of the initial purchase
package. You can't ask for a better marketing
tie-in. Again, not at all a deal breaker, and mostly tongue-in-cheek...
4. I haven't looked into it yet and honestly don't know if it exists already, but I would like to see some IFTTT type of tie-in so I can trigger actions and logic based on data from Siren Marine's sensors.
5. I would like access to more historical data in downloadable tabular format so I can do my own analysis on some things. Especially things like the voltage of my batteries. The graphs and charts
they have in the app are nice if you happen to see them before the data is "too old" or gets "averaged out".
That's all I can think of right now and as you can tell these are mostly nitpicking items. The system is great, and I highly recommend it.