Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 01:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Anyone Using Raymarine E7 Yet ?

The new Raymarine E7 MFD looks like the answer to a sailor's prayer. I was going to try to get another year out of my RL80CRC+/RL70RC/4kWPathfinder system, but now I'm thinking about going ahead and pulling the trigger. My electronics guru in Cowes has been pushing me to go ahead because my existing equipment is still somewhat in demand - still sellable - and maybe not for much longer -- which seems like a good argument to me.

The only problem is Ray have not yet released the larger displays yet. The 7" E7 would be fine for my helm, but I presently have a 10" display at the chart table and would want something more like 12" there.

But since the E7 will stream over WiFi to an IPad -- maybe just use an IPad at the chart table while I'm waiting for the larger displays to come out?

Anyone using a setup like this?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 07:57   #2

Re: Anyone using Raymarine E7 yet?

I *drool* over this piece of kit. I just want it to be bigger (8") screen to replace my existing C80. I also want to have it work with my older analog radar, but that may be a pipe dream...so E8 (that doesn't exist yet) and new radar is looking like $4k in upgrades. Too rich for my blood in these times.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 09:58   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Anyone Using Raymarine E7 Yet ?

Dockhead, What 10" display do you have at the chart table? If it is a Raymarine, you might be able to connect it to the E7 at the helm and use it until the larger display is available. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 11:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Dockhead, What 10" display do you have at the chart table? If it is a Raymarine, you might be able to connect it to the E7 at the helm and use it until the larger display is available. Chuck
RL80CRC+

I doubt that it can be networked with the E7. But it did occur to me that I could just leave it for now. It would not get any radar once I have changed out the Pathfinder for a 24" 4kW HD digital dome, but charts would work normally, and it would also repeat my instruments. I could use the IPad at the chart table to repeat whatever is shown on the E7 at the helm. Yes, I like the idea. About $5k and I'll have new radar and new plotter at the helm. Then I can continue the upgrade when the larger displays appear. Yum.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:20   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico

I just called Raymarine and the e7 is supposed to be available in mid-November (so in a couple of weeks). The i70 instrument is first week of November, so right away.

Anyone know which radars would work with the e7? I would think any Raymarine radar that goes through seatalk, but I don't know that.

PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 13:46   #6

From what I've read, only Raymarine's latest generation of HD Radars will work with the E7 and the new C and E series. Big bummer because the domes for HD Radar are *PRICEY*....plus I'd really love for Ray to bring out something in the broadband radar category that Simrad reigns supreme in right now.
Old 31-10-2011, 13:53   #7

Rather than a pot of speculation as to what the E7 and i7 will work with, there is a good discussion over at the Panbo site on the units with a lot of good information from Ben Ellison. It will integrate with most Raymarine products via a special patch cable to connect to the old SeaTalk connections. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 31-10-2011, 16:02   #8

Quote:
Rather than a pot of speculation as to what the E7 and i7 will work with, there is a good discussion over at the Panbo site on the units with a lot of good information from Ben Ellison. It will integrate with most Raymarine products via a special patch cable to connect to the old SeaTalk connections. Chuck
Radar on old Raymarine is not via seatalk. It is via a proprietary cable...so I stand by what i read in the E7 documentation....only Raymarines HD Radar.
Old 31-10-2011, 18:20   #9

Raymarine's proprietary cable is the SeaTalk cable. I have only been a certified Raymarine tech for about 12 years. To connect the new E7 and i7 to a Seatalk cable a patch cable is needed because the connector for the E7 and i7 have been changed from the old style Ethernet connector. The radar cable also needs to have a crossover installed between the scanner and the display. The other connector built into the scanner cable is for the 12 volt power. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 31-10-2011, 18:47   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

I read Raymarine is up for sale. >>> Raymarine for sale? - Panbo Forum
Old 31-10-2011, 18:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I read Raymarine is up for sale. >>> Raymarine for sale? - Panbo Forum

Del, they were until Flir bought them recently. I believe that post was from 2009. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 31-10-2011, 19:17   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Del, they were until Flir bought them recently. I believe that post was from 2009. Chuck
That was May of 2010. Gees! How fast time flies by.
Old 31-10-2011, 19:31   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Can anyone say Crack?
I prefer an open network scheme. I'm running a XP tablet with Rose Point Coastal Explorer fed by an Airmar combiner connected to weather & depth sensors, which also feed a Si-Tek chart plotter and Navman auto pilot. It all works, it all talks and listens on nmea 183 and any component can easily be interchanged, when your untied from the dock.

Just me

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 23:59   #14

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

The larger screens should be out early next year for the boat show">Miami boat show is what I was told at the Annapolis show. We are having E7 installed on a new Voyage 520 Owners version that is being launched in one week. If it is not available the boat will sail from South Africa to the BVI's without a unit and it will be installed there. I also plan to put one on my current boat in the Chessapeake for next season, selling my old stuff over the winter.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:04   #15

Boat: Hunter 38

Hi Seaking - did you install the e7? I was thinking the same way and remove my RL520/70 and dome and go that direction - how are the silver charts on the bay - detailed enough? My plan would be e7 at helm, new dome and ipad at chart table. I assume you were not able to reuse your non-HD dome?

Tx

Ed
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine