Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 19:41   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Anyone Using Raymarine E7 Yet ?

I've got the old E120 system. When, not if, I change, it will be for a Simrad-based system using the Broadband radar. I like the idea of being able to run the radar constantly without killing the amp hours. I have installed a number of both brands. If only the other brands would come up with a similar system. So, I'll be the boat with two radar antennas and a redundant electronics package. I love these toys.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01   #17

Boat: Hunter 38
Thanks for the feedback. For some unknown reason (despite loving my last Garmin and having to change the ray dome) I seem to want to stay with ray. Would love to hear anybody's experience with this new one on the bay with native charts.
Ed_Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 20:02   #18

I have newly acquired the Raymarine e7. It is working fine with a Raymarine DIGITAL radar. It is not necessary to have an HD set. But to work without additional cables, there the unit must be digital.

Probably one of the nicest features is built-in wifi server which can connect to both Android and iPad devices. There are three apps for Android that vary from cheap to modestly expensive. See https://play.google.com/store/search?q=raymarine&c=apps

The best apps is RayControl which permits full view and control of the e7 and all connected instruments from your Android tablet or iPad. I have use both and they worked as advertised directly.

The Rayview app is free and simply is a dumb display of the e7 which you can place anywhere within wifi range.

Also, the Navionics app on the iPad will sync waypoints, routes etc with the e7. Building routes on the iPad is so simple and then, bing, there they are on the e7.

Therefore, if the screen of an iPad or Android tablet is sufficient, there is no need to buy a larger MFD.
hbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 21:30   #19

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Sail View Post
Thanks for the feedback. For some unknown reason (despite loving my last Garmin and having to change the ray dome) I seem to want to stay with ray. Would love to hear anybody's experience with this new one on the bay with native charts.
sorry about the delayed response. I still have not got the unit on the boat in the bay. I do know the raydome will have to be changed. I actually am in the process of ripping out the old unit to sellon ebay.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 13:08   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I used the Raymarine e7 with the HD radar all summer on the coast of Maine. A few issues.....there doesn't appear to be a goto time display based on boat speed. How long will it take me to get where I'm going. I have this on a 12 year old handheld but not on this unit that I can find. When the screen gets wet the touch screen doesn't always work. There are controls by knobs and buttons, but once you get use to touch controls its a pain to use them. I am coming from a larger screen than this but with the touch to move around it wasn't a problem being a smaller size. If you are an iPad user you can't go in and out with your fingers. But you can move your view of the chart.
I have to say the best part of the unit is the radar. It may be because of how bad my earlier system was but this one is amazing.
dwass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 17:31   #21

Boat: Hylas 49
I've used an E7 with a triducer and just added an X5 wheelpilot. There is a software upgrade, ver 5.24, that adds a zoom in/out to the touchscreen. Don't have radar, but I'm very pleased with the unit. If you are going to a waypoint it will give you time to waypoint if you select that feature. I find VMG to waypoint to be more useful.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 06:42   #22

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

What about interfacing with the analog RD424 radar? Is there an interface box available, or do I have to chuck that in order to upgrade to a new e-series MFD?
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine