Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:54   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Anyone using iNavX for iPad?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-187027-8.html

POST 119 copies below:

Quote:
Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)
Hi All - there is a lot to unpack here so I am going to do my best to answer direct questions while staying away from the commentary:

- the disappearing charts issue is fixed. It was fixed 9-months ago, there have been no reports of disappearing chart since, and with the redundancy's we have now built there should not be any issues going forward

- iNavX is built to work offline. Please make sure to download your charts first, while you have a cellular or wifi connection. Once the Charts are downloaded onto your device, they will always be accessible for you. When you open the Chart List for a Chart, the downloaded charts are in BOLD. Certain charts like Explorer comprise multiple small tiled charts so you will need to download each chart tile individually. This is a limitations of certain Chart Providers, as the chartplotter software we can only display what they offer.

- Once a chart has been downloaded onto your device it will always stay on your device. If you cancel a subscription, all previously downloaded charts will remain on your device. Please do note that the download is on the device, so if you change devices you will not be able to move those charts. That is one of the great features we offer with a chart subscription

- Charts can be bought directly through the iNavX In-App Chart Store or through Fugawi.com. Both systems are connected and all purchases are tied to your Account. However I personally would recommend making chart purchases through the iNavX In-App Chart Store as all purchases made through the app are also logged with Apple/Google providing another backup

Happy to help with any other questions if you email me directly at shaun@navx.co
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia426 View Post
Thank you, both.

Are the first steps those of creating waypoints, for a desired routing? And, once waypoints are created, then linking those together to create a route?
I lay out my routes in OpenCpn or Garmin on my laptop and then email them to myself. This gives me a larger display and for gnarly routes, I connect the laptop to my big screen TV. For long trips, I like to run it through Fast Seas, or QTVLM. All those things are easier to do from a laptop.

If something happens and I need to reroute, I usually just “go to” a point.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32   #18
cruiser

Quote:
I checked and see that Time Zero is not advertising that it's Nobeltec. Is the TZ, on the web, the software that you're using even though it may not be part of Nobeltec any longer?

So, you must be using Time Zero (on the mobile device) and Navionics on your hard-wired nav chart plotter. Am I correct about that?
Time Zero is Nobeltec and I use charts purchased via their program (app) on my iPads. I also have Nobeltec Odyssey on my pc which is rarely used. INavx is on the iPads with Navionics charts for all of Europe. Navionics charts are being used on our Raymarine Hybrid touch chartplotters.

The only problem we’re having is with the US Navionics charts on INavx.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:52   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve been using iNavx for many years. Like Ken, I used to have nothing positive to say, but this ended perhaps 1.5 years ago when I started with the ‘dissapearing charts’ problem. One day they were all there, and then the next (for no apparent reason) they were gone. This has happened at least twice for me now.

THEN (and still) I had troubles with an add on that didn’t work, and then I got billed by the Apple auto renew thing that I didn’t know was there. And now the latest (and current, as far as I know) issue I’m having is that I cannot load ALL charts in a chartset. I have to manually load them, one at a time. Before I just loaded them all and was done. Now, for some reason, when I do this some charts get left out, but I can’t tell which ones until I painstakingly go through them all. This is a huge PITA to me. Added to this the unfair way they manage chart subscriptions through X-Traverse (now Fugawi) and I’m currently in search of an alternative.

I will say, I’ve received exemplary service from Fugawi and iNavx. So far, with every issue I’ve had, the Fugawi folk have worked diligently to try and solve the issue. And have both extended my chart licenses AND upgraded me to new a new chartset (when the old one was withdrawn), all for free.

I do like iNavx. It’s been a great program, and up until all these issues, was rock-solid.

BTW, I do use Navionics charts. So far, I’ve not found them lacking compared to my Garmin chartsets, nor any of my paper charts.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:17   #20
cruiser

Mike,

Regarding the North American chart set, did you need to load in the entire set in order to get them to flow seamlessly from one to another? I loaded just the few that I needed which then showed up like paper charts, then they disappeared. It’s like I need to use them one at a time and reload them each time they get used.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37   #21

Boat: Sabre 426

Were you able to learn how to change the name of a "route?" The directions, to do that, on the iNavX website doesn't work on my newer iPad.
Acadia426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:41   #22

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Were you able to learn how to change the name of a "route?" The directions, to do that, on the iNavX website doesn't work on my newer iPad.

Select (open) the route, then tap the "export" icon in the upper right. Rename and a few other useful options are hidden there.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:41   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding the North American chart set, did you need to load in the entire set in order to get them to flow seamlessly from one to another? I loaded just the few that I needed which then showed up like paper charts, then they disappeared. It’s like I need to use them one at a time and reload them each time they get used.
No, mine seem to flow fine. And so far, I have haven’t lost them (again). The issue I ran into with the new NA chartset was that when I tried to load the whole thing, some charts refused to load at all. And I was unable to load them individually either. I had to erase the whole set and then load them one-by-one.

Mine have been working fine for the last few months (although I haven’t been using it extensively — just testing). The problem I now has is lack of faith. I’ve had two complete erasures in the last 1.5 years. Both times I was able to recover, but only with the help of Fugawi support, and this necessitated reloading all the data. I was luck enough to be in good data zones, but if this happens again when I’m off cruising NFLD, I’m screwed.

P.S. These differing issues that is happening with iNavx is adding to my unease with the tool. I get the sense that neither Fugawi nor iNavx really knows where all the issues are, or what the causes are. Fugawi support suggested to me it was the way iNavx manages the charts.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58   #24

So, hpeer, when you refer to Navionics, are you talking about a Navionics chart for the iNavX app, or as in the case of my boat, the Raymarine E180 chartplotter uses a chip from Navionics; is that the case you refer to?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:14   #25

Kenomac, do you use Time Zero on the iNavX app or does Time Zero have its own app? Do you use another on-board, hard-wired nav chart plotter also?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No, mine seem to flow fine. And so far, I have haven’t lost them (again). The issue I ran into with the new NA chartset was that when I tried to load the whole thing, some charts refused to load at all. And I was unable to load them individually either. I had to erase the whole set and then load them one-by-one.

Mine have been working fine for the last few months (although I haven’t been using it extensively — just testing). The problem I now has is lack of faith. I’ve had two complete erasures in the last 1.5 years. Both times I was able to recover, but only with the help of Fugawi support, and this necessitated reloading all the data. I was luck enough to be in good data zones, but if this happens again when I’m off cruising NFLD, I’m screwed.

P.S. These differing issues that is happening with iNavx is adding to my unease with the tool. I get the sense that neither Fugawi nor iNavx really knows where all the issues are, or what the causes are. Fugawi support suggested to me it was the way iNavx manages the charts.
Mike, I haven't done this yet, but when charting a long distance voyage, with iNavX, can you scroll from one chart to another (when charting) or does one have to manually select the next chart?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Kenomac, do you use Time Zero on the iNavX app or does Time Zero have its own app? Do you use another on-board, hard-wired nav chart plotter also?
Time Zero is a separate app available for free through Nobeltec. The charts are then purchased via the app from Fugawi as Raster charts.

We used only iNavX and Time Zero for the past eight years on iPads, using a Raymarine Chartplotter is new to us in the past month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ED09B6F-4229-49D4-9D02-FBEC36DE8E7F.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	173059  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:25   #28

In order to use a route, on iNavX, does one have to "activate" the route? If so, how is that done, please?
Old 05-07-2018, 06:30   #29
cruiser

Here’s a current screen shot of my INavX app showing the same harbor entrance as the Time Zero app. Awesome....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D5B17A0D-555A-495F-B45B-A508D6B2BDCD.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	173060  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:39   #30
cruiser

Here’s a screen shot of one of the INavx North American charts the last time I loaded it. It was just a photo of a paper chart which is basically useless. At least with a paper chart I can lay it down on the table with some scale and map out a route, I can’t do anything with this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	050D82A6-7444-48D9-9017-08671D3B485F.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	173061  

Tags
iNavX, Ipad