Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 15:10   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Anyone familiar w/std horiz GX 2200

I'm currently having all my electronics upgraded. One of the items is the Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF. According to the literature it contains AIS receivers but nothing about transmission.
The installer tells me once I register an MMIS number that transmission is enabled. I find this very hard to believe. It would be nice but I'll settle for the receiver.

Can anyone set me straight on who is right.

Thanks,
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:37   #2

Re: Anyone familiar w/std horiz GX 2200

As far as I know GX 2200 is AIS receiver-only. You need to enter your MMSI (you have only one chance, be careful) to enable DSC functions, not AIS.
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:46   #3

Boat: Mirage 32

It won't transmit your AIS position, but if you hook it up to your chart plotter, it will transmit a distress call with your exact Lat and Long position. It's called a Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) and you have to register with the proper authorities in the country you live in. They will assign you a number, which you program into the radio.
The AIS receives only, but that's pretty nice for the price. I have the 2150 and after a couple of years use, It's been great. Haven't had to push the MMSI button yet and hope I'll never have to.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:46   #4
Eternal Member

Thanks BambooSailor,

That's what I thought. From what I've read there are tremendous technical problems with the AIS interfering with the VHF transmitter.

I guess the poor guy spent too much time working under the cockpit in the heat. It's brutal

Old 08-06-2015, 15:52   #5
Eternal Member

Gerry it will be hooked up to plotter but that's for me to better see AIS targets. The radio has internal GPS that lets it stand alone. After using 26 yr old electronics, I'm pretty excited with what has changed.

Rich

Old 08-06-2015, 16:20   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That radio has an internal GPS, so it will broadcast DSC position without any external connection to anything else.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:15   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I'm currently having all my electronics upgraded. One of the items is the Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF. According to the literature it contains AIS receivers but nothing about transmission.
The installer tells me once I register an MMIS number that transmission is enabled. I find this very hard to believe. It would be nice but I'll settle for the receiver.

Can anyone set me straight on who is right.

Thanks,
Rich

The installer is wrong. The SH GX-2200 is receive-only AIS. The MMSI number is for DSC calls, meaning your boat's ID will appear when you make DSC calls to other boats. You can do a DSC test call in one of the sub-menus to see this in action, as I recall. I installed mine last year and am very happy with it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Gerry it will be hooked up to plotter but that's for me to better see AIS targets. The radio has internal GPS that lets it stand alone. After using 26 yr old electronics, I'm pretty excited with what has changed.

Rich

Two accessories I've found useful are the RAM mic at the outside helm (my VHF lives in the pilothouse) and the SH loudhailer, as there's a whole whack of automated sound signals (fog, aground, etc.) that this unit can make. You can also listen with it, which I found out by accident. This is handy for communication with the anchor handler, or listening in fog for other, non-AIS-transmitting traffic, assuming you don't have RADAR as well.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:09   #9

Boat: Endeavour 32

I have the 2150 hooked up to my chart plotter. love it makes it easy to navigate in the fog through LA Harbor without radar, and if I can or can't pass in front of that freighter 10 miles away while under sail

Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:42   #10

Boat: Catalina 387

I too have a 2150. Would rather have the 2200 with the integrated GPS. The radio is below and I have a RAM mic in the cockpit.

Hooked it to OpenCPN and the AIS targets are displayed on the screen.

It works great.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52   #11

You can read all about what it does on the SH website. Really.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:33   #12

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I have the 2200 which is receiver only. All tied into my Garmin 7212's Chart Plotter. I also bought a separate AIS sender (Transponder) as well and incorporated it. To me, it is well worth the additional dollars to see as well as to be seen. Both proved invaluable to us on our recent trip from Dauphin Island, AL to Key West and back.

I also have the stand-alone Ram Mike on the Fly bridge with the main radio being in the main cabin. Trouble free products so far!
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:46   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

I too own a 2200. Works great as an integrated unit. The DSC function is nice, although you must have an MMSI to make this work (easy to do ... at least here in Canada). I just bought a new Garmin plotter so may tie the two together, but so far I've been perfectly happy with the built-in AIS display. Even on the RAM I can get all the info I need -- and yes, I love the RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
...SH loudhailer, as there's a whole whack of automated sound signals (fog, aground, etc.) that this unit can make. You can also listen with it, which I found out by accident. This is handy for communication with the anchor handler, or listening in fog for other, non-AIS-transmitting traffic, assuming you don't have RADAR as well.
Alchemy, can you explain this a bit. How do you listen with this unit? You mean it will pick up and amplify incoming sound? I don't have a hailer, but might get one.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:32   #14
Eternal Member

I too have a question on the hailor. Since the 2200 is WiFi capable, are there any hailers capable of using that? I really don't want to string anymore wires.
Oh and I did get the Ram mike for the helm and placed the base station below.

Old 09-06-2015, 13:12   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Since the 2200 is WiFi capable
I don't think it is - they don't mention that aspect anywhere.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote