Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 13:23   #1
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Hi,

do we have anyone who can help me, an Arduino newbie, with uploading some files/libraries to an Arduino?

Thanks,

Franziska
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 13:47   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 451
Images: 2
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

do we have anyone who can help me, an Arduino newbie, with uploading some files/libraries to an Arduino?

Thanks,

Franziska

Which Arduino are you wanting to talk to? There are several versions: https://www.arduino.cc/en/hardware
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 14:09   #3
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Wemos D1 Mini Pro & Powershield & Ultrasound sensor.

We have the hardware and I try to upload the necessary files into it to work like in the open boat projects website described, but being a newbie, do utterly fail so far.

The board is recognized, but after few failed attempts, I guess the first step would be a factory reset via the Arduino IED.

Guess for today I have given up, but I'd be very happy if you can give some help once I post details tomorrow.
Do you think you may be able to?
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 14:32   #4
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Original Lolin 7-24V 1A DC Power Shield V1.1.0 for Wemos D1 mini

Wemos D1 Pro ESP8266 Mini Board compatible NodeMcu IPEX Arduino Wifi

DS1603L Ultrasound Sensor

I'm trying to achieve this (description in English):
https://open-boat-projects.org/en/di...standsmessung/
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 15:12   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 451
Images: 2
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Wemos D1 Mini Pro & Powershield & Ultrasound sensor.

We have the hardware and I try to upload the necessary files into it to work like in the open boat projects website described, but being a newbie, do utterly fail so far.

The board is recognized, but after few failed attempts, I guess the first step would be a factory reset via the Arduino IED.

Guess for today I have given up, but I'd be very happy if you can give some help once I post details tomorrow.
Do you think you may be able to?

To confirm, you have a Wemos D1 Mini Pro . The Powershield... is it this ? The Ultrasound sensor is it this Ultrasonic Distance Sensor (HC-SR04):



I am assuming you have an Aurduino IDE installed.. what operating system are you using? (do you have all the updates for your os and IDE?)



Looking forward to your answers..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 15:21   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 451
Images: 2
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Original Lolin 7-24V 1A DC Power Shield V1.1.0 for Wemos D1 mini

Wemos D1 Pro ESP8266 Mini Board compatible NodeMcu IPEX Arduino Wifi

DS1603L Ultrasound Sensor

I'm trying to achieve this (description in English):
https://open-boat-projects.org/en/di...standsmessung/

sorry, did not see your answers whilst I was composing the response... Great info.
If you can just write which version of OS you are using and which version of aurdino IDE.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 22:08   #7
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
sorry, did not see your answers whilst I was composing the response... Great info.
If you can just write which version of OS you are using and which version of aurdino IDE.
Good morning.
I'm on Windows 11 and Arduino IDE 1.8.19.

I also have NodeMcu installed.

The Arduino is connected to 12v power and via USB to the PC.

The Arduino communicates via Com 5 and the board is recognized as Wemos 1D Mini Pro.

I'm trying to achieve the Nmea 0183 version of this.

I have mainly two issues here.

1)
Getting the Arduino Wifi interface to show up.

2)
Loading a specific set of libraries from the library manager and github into the Arduino.

Maybe a good start would be a complete factory reset of the Wemos?
Under tools I find an option called erase flash, is that the correct approach?
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 23:06   #8
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 13,316
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

You don’t load libraries into the Arduino… you install them in the IDE, then use them in your C++ code, then compile and link, after which all required code is in the executable image that the IDE can upload to the Arduino.

I recommend starting with a plain Arduino doing the blink programs etc.
__________________
May the Force be with you!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 23:28   #9
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You don’t load libraries into the Arduino… you install them in the IDE, then use them in your C++ code, then compile and link, after which all required code is in the executable image that the IDE can upload to the Arduino.



I recommend starting with a plain Arduino doing the blink programs etc.
Thanks for your info. Understand the basic procedure better this way.

Still, at the moment there are loads of tasks at hand so right now I am only interested in getting this specific hardware running as a tank sensor.

Less so starting with basic programming training and diving deep into programming.
I understand that this will be a good skill to learn, but at this very moment there are other objectives which need to be given priority.

Still, I need this sensor running :-) and for that I'd need the simplest specific cookbook to get this going.
My programming experience is close to zero, but I have some good instructions, still I do miss a few details to get things rolling.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 23:48   #10
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 13,316
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Thanks for your info. Understand the basic procedure better this way.

Still, at the moment there are loads of tasks at hand so right now I am only interested in getting this specific hardware running as a tank sensor.

Less so starting with basic programming training and diving deep into programming.
I understand that this will be a good skill to learn, but at this very moment there are other objectives which need to be given priority.

Still, I need this sensor running :-) and for that I'd need the simplest specific cookbook to get this going.
My programming experience is close to zero, but I have some good instructions, still I do miss a few details to get things rolling.
I didn’t mean to start a programming course but rather use the simplest example available in the IDE, the blink program, to compile, link and upload so that you learn the steps required to upload larger programs, adding libraries etc. There is no other way unless ordering from B&G
__________________
May the Force be with you!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 23:51   #11
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Panschwitz, Germany
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 2,840
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I didn’t mean to start a programming course but rather use the simplest example available in the IDE, the blink program, to compile, link and upload so that you learn the steps required to upload larger programs, adding libraries etc. There is no other way unless ordering from B&G
Ok. I'll do that. This makes sense. I was a bit afraid I'd have to embark on a two month journey :-)
Thank you.

Right now off to apply some more deck paint. Later more Arduino games..
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 00:11   #12
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 13,316
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Ok. I'll do that. This makes sense. I was a bit afraid I'd have to embark on a two month journey :-)
Thank you.

Right now off to apply some more deck paint. Later more Arduino games..
When you see the LED blinking (hope your Arduino has a LED for that on board… some small boards don’t) check out the program source (they call it a sketch) and you see how simple it is and how much power is at your fingertips with an Arduino ready to go

Here is some good info about installing libraries: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...ino-ide-7deb01
__________________
May the Force be with you!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 06:45   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 451
Images: 2
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
When you see the LED blinking (hope your Arduino has a LED for that on board… some small boards don’t) check out the program source (they call it a sketch) and you see how simple it is and how much power is at your fingertips with an Arduino ready to go

Here is some good info about installing libraries: https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...ino-ide-7deb01

Jedi is right... you want to start small and ensure that you have basic communication. then build up.



How are things going?


Best of luck...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 08:33   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 8,127
Re: Anyone can help with uploading files to an Arduino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
... at the moment there are loads of tasks at hand so right now I am only interested in getting this specific hardware running as a tank sensor.

Less so starting with basic programming training and diving deep into programming.
I'm late to this, and you've already received the right advice from Jedi and others.

Whether you're writing a program from scratch, or just grabbing a finished project from GitHub to use, you're "programming". If you're new to this, it's time well spent to go through a beginner "blink LED" tutorial, because it will show and explain all the steps to compile and upload any program. It should take you just 1/2 to 2 hours to set up and complete a blink example from start to finish.

Here's a tutorial that should blink a LED of your Wemos D1 board.

To split a hair, the ESP8266 and ESP32 boards aren't Arduinos, but some wonderful people adapted the Arduino environment to also work with the Espressif (ESP) boards.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
loa

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arduino Contact less Tank Monitor, help with programing? Franziska Marine Electronics 2 18-05-2022 01:52
Arduino Auto Pilot - Anyone Tried This? charliehows Marine Electronics 2 29-10-2019 16:06
Converting PNG files to KAP files for usage in OpenCPN 58gschol OpenCPN 3 07-09-2019 06:46
Predictwind´s .pwr files to .grb files? andreas.mehlin Navigation 0 16-02-2017 08:03

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.