Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 12:18   #1

Boat: Moody 39
Anybody still using an old Delorme inReach?

Seeing as game-changing satellite broadband might be just around the corner (Starlink, OneWeb, Kuiper, etc) I don't really want to invest too much in tech right now. But I do want a basic way of letting family know where I am, and of receiving weather updates.

The older Delorme units come up occasionally at tempting prices. Are they still fully supported? I know battery life might be reduced but I can live with that. I don't want to spend money on one and find that it's obsolete and dead, but if I got a couple of years out of it that would be worthwhile.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 13:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Anybody still using an old Delorme inReach?

See ➥ https://andrewskurka.com/garmin-inre...explorer-faqs/

Which includes:
Q: For how long will Garmin offer subscription service (e.g. Freedom or Annual Plan) and product support (e.g. warranty claims and repairs) for the original DeLorme inReach, and the second-generation inReach SE and inReach Explorer?

A: We have no plans to end subscription support for previous inReach products. All of our hardware devices come with documented warranty claims so I would defer to those for how long they will be honored. No changes there either though.

I’ll have to check on repairs, I think some of that might be driven by availability of parts.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 13:26   #3

Boat: Moody 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
See ➥ https://andrewskurka.com/garmin-inre...explorer-faqs/

Which includes:
Q: For how long will Garmin offer subscription service (e.g. Freedom or Annual Plan) and product support (e.g. warranty claims and repairs) for the original DeLorme inReach, and the second-generation inReach SE and inReach Explorer?

A: We have no plans to end subscription support for previous inReach products. All of our hardware devices come with documented warranty claims so I would defer to those for how long they will be honored. No changes there either though.

I’ll have to check on repairs, I think some of that might be driven by availability of parts.
Thanks I did find that already, and it was written back in 2017, so I was wondering whether this was still the case. I haven't seen anything to the contrary though.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 13:40   #4

We are still using one and have not been informed of any pending cessation of service. It’s been very useful when stuck in places with no radio reception.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:32   #5

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

I will keep using mine until it dies. Dropped it in the ocean for about 30 minutes last year before I could dive down and retrieve it (less than 20 meters), and no damage to it. The tracking and two way satellite messaging are great, as well as the localized weather forecasting.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:36   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Use the inReach SE. Just setup mine. You won't be disappointed.
stewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:37   #7

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Kelpie,

OutDoorLab.com article says it is still supported, but how long? I'd say since it uses the basic tech of all InReach units this will be a good long time.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...rme-inreach-se

The newer systems you noted are going to take awhile to get up & running and hardware & service plans may be $$$$ for the opening bell.

I'd say take a chance and use it for several or more years.

I've just bought my InReach Explorer + and love it, a crew on my trip from FL to St Croix had one & I fell in love after only a few days of use.

Apollo Wayne
Waiting for Covid to end & go sailing again!!
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:01   #8

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Garmin bought Delorme and therefore the market. Garmin makes great stuff but you really pay for the subscription costs. I have the Delorme, Works flawlessly and will us it until it dies, gets killed or financially it makes more sense to go satellite. If it works, go ahead and buy one. Garmin keeps their subscription business going a very long time. It's not like there's a ton of resources to keep this technology functioning.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:05   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

We have an inReach from 2014 and it was still working the last time we activated it: October 2020.
Old 31-05-2021, 16:43   #10

Boat: Shannon 53

I have used my inreach for many years. I use the freedom plan and only activate it when I need it, typically a month when I'm offshore. You need to pay attention to the costs of quick messages vs. texts. It is also important to use the app, I have it on phone and tablet as well as synching with the laptop to manage the subscription, settings, etc. Just make sure you suspend and not cancel subscription, I do this when I activate it else it will auto renew. They are inflexible if you get something wrong.
Weather is also good but also must be set up properly to get the region you need. Overall very good value relative to sat tech.
skipbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:46   #11

Boat: Catana 471

We have a Garmin branded inReach Explorer. Same hardware as Delorme with different label. It works great and is still fully supported.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:47   #12

Boat: Cal-40

I have one of the original DeLorme InReach explorer devices and yes, it still works wonderfully with the exception of the internal battery, so I just leave it plugged into a USB cable for now. I see online that new batteries are available for under 20 US dollars and easy to change so upon my next time I’m in the USA I plan to get one. Now I’m sure as with all technology there are better things out there today but as for myself I’m at this time happy with what I’ve got.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:11   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
Seeing as game-changing satellite broadband might be just around the corner (Starlink, OneWeb, Kuiper, etc) I don't really want to invest too much in tech right now. But I do want a basic way of letting family know where I am, and of receiving weather updates.

The older Delorme units come up occasionally at tempting prices. Are they still fully supported? I know battery life might be reduced but I can live with that. I don't want to spend money on one and find that it's obsolete and dead, but if I got a couple of years out of it that would be worthwhile.
I bought a Delorme inReach SE for my roundtrip to Hawaii and continued to use it for my roundtrip to Alaska under Garmin. I started right off with a RAM mount powering the device off the house battery bank which has worked out very well. I use it primarily for tracking and texting. Current subscription program options are reasonable. I will continue to use it until something that works as well for the price comes along. My biggest complaint is the M-F 0700-1700 CST Garmin Support for a device that operates 24/7/365.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:44   #14

Boat: Pearson 323

Been using my inReach since 2016, it still has great battery life. We will stay together until one of us gives up the ghost.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 19:36   #15

Boat: C&C

We've had an original Delorme InReach since 2013 and it's still working fine and battery life hasn't noticeable diminished. Just small buttons for large hands to use is our only complaint.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote