Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2021, 12:54   #16

Boat: LM 22
Re: Anybody still using an old Delorme inReach?

I have the first generation Delorme Inreach from 2011 (see https://panbo.com/delorme-inreach-hands-on-1/) which uses AA batteries, which means that aging batteries is at least no issue for it. I have an inreach mini today, but when I last used it in the fall of 2019, it worked fine for tracking and sending messages, but sometimes messages send to the device would somehow get lost. I suspected the bluetooth integration with the app as much as the satellite link. Also you do not have the ability to request and receive a weather forecast on these older devices.
Having used both first and latest generation devices, the older one does seem a little bit little a prototype product. It is definately usable for tracking, and for the right (low) price it is still worth buying, but the price have to be pretty low not to choose a new inreach mini instead.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 16:21   #17

Boat: Currently Boatless
Re: Anybody still using an old Delorme inReach?

Just an FYI, you can get an abbreviated GFS weather report and/or weather routing/departure planning from www.fastseas.com using your inReach. Never tried it but an option if you don't have a sat phone.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote