Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 03:14   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Any use having GPS data feed for Raymarine Evolution autopilot?

I posted recently about getting gps position data to our new Raymarine Evolution autopilot. However, on re-reading the manual, it seems the only reference to gps are when the control head is connected to an older SPX system.

For the newer Evolution systems I can’t see anywhere explaining any possible benefit of the autopilot having god position data.

Can anyone explain if/how it would benefit the autopilot system?

For reference I have a ACU-200, EV-1 core, p70s control head, rudder reference transducer, type 1 mechanical linear drive.

Thanks
benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:13   #2

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: Any use having GPS data feed for Raymarine Evolution autopilot?

I have a the Raymarine EV-100 on Gabbiano. I can select a location on my Garmin GPS and select "GO TO" and the EV-100 steers toward the location. If I had the right Garmin card, I could set up a route for the auto pilot. I have attached a drawing showing my system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev100.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	171047  
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33   #3

Thanks moctrams

Sorry I meant just the position data feed (from a stand-alone antenna) rather than a gps plotter on the network. We don’t have a plotter (we use an iPad).

Is it worth having raw gps position data available to the autopilot? For example, would it be able to steer a True COG based on the position data rather than using the compass?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy View Post
Thanks moctrams

Sorry I meant just the position data feed (from a stand-alone antenna) rather than a gps plotter on the network. We don’t have a plotter (we use an iPad).

Is it worth having raw gps position data available to the autopilot? For example, would it be able to steer a True COG based on the position data rather than using the compass?
It would be useful to read the manual.

There is no such mode as steering COG on Raymarine pilots. Steering to a set waypoint is called "Track Mode" (for Simrad pilots "Nav Mode"). In order to steer to a set waypoint (or along a series of waypoints) the pilot needs nav data sentences from the network. Raymarine stopped their latest pilots from accepting these sentences over 0183 -- only nav data from SeatalkNG is accepted for Track Mode. Raymarine would like for you to have nav data in the network from one of their plotters. However, Raymarine have explained that their autopilot computers will accept nav data from other sources if it is converted to N2K. See: https://raymarine.ning.com/forum/top...2006c-can-they.

So you could do it with OpenCPN provided you have an 0183 to N2K (or SeatalkNG) converter.

Note that a simple GPS receiver doesn't generate nav data, only position data. Your pilot can't use simple position data to set a course; there is no "steer COG" mode. You need APB, BWR and BWC sentences (or rather the equivalent N2K PGN's) -- . These are produced by plotters or by GPS displays with nav functions.

See: https://raymarine.ning.com/forum/top...2006c-can-they
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:23   #5

Boat: Riva 48

The autopilot benefits from using speed data, used in the steering routine. This is different from tracking to a waypoint. Best way is to feed the autopilot with speed through water data if you have a paddle. Next best thing is SOG from the GPS. Third best is to manually enter your average cruising speed (typically 5 knots). One way to test this is to set your autopilot to a course that is different from your current heading while at the dock. If the autopilot has speed data it turns the rudder once and then waits for the boat to pickup speed. If it does not have speed data it starts hunting (panicking) in both directions until you disengage.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:44   #6

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

I've got an EV200. I installed it last year. All the positional "smarts" are in the little flying saucer shaped EV1 Sensor core. I don't think there's any need for an external GPS for this autopilot.
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50   #7

Thanks for the info. I guess having a plotter networked in is the way to utilise “nav” style functionality.

The boat speed bit is interesting, but as you say speed through water makes more sense there.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:44   #8

Boat: Ovni 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
However, Raymarine have explained that their autopilot computers will accept nav data from other sources if it is converted to N2K. See: https://raymarine.ning.com/forum/top...2006c-can-they.

So you could do it with OpenCPN provided you have an 0183 to N2K (or SeatalkNG) converter.

Very interesting, but I just can not get my EV100 to go into track mode. I am using an Actisense NGW-1 for the conversions and I am converting RMB, RMS, XTE and APB from OpenCPN. The control head shows BTW, DTW, XTE, COG, so I would think it has all it needs. It keeps saying " No navigation data" when I press the track button.
The link above does not seem to function (anymore). Did someone save this description? I tried Raymarine support but they are useless, at least in the Netherlands.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:02   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

You can try here: http://forum.raymarine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:58   #10

It won’t care about gps pos. It may use speed. But on a sailboat won’t make much if any diff. It’s important on a fishing boat that fishes at 2knots and cruises at 40kts. Both with pilot on.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, gps, marine, raymarine