Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 13:25   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Any fix for broken ICOM M700pro mic cable?

I have now broken two -- both when they got bumped during rough weather (admittedly, the radio is in a bad place next to the nav table, but there is, literally, nowhere else to place the set). Both times, it broke off right in back of the silver ring that screws into the radio. It looks like a dozen small soldiered connections, but there's no obvious way to reconnect.

Of course, the radio has no audio without the mic cable, so I can't even use the rx side.

I am currently in the Bahamas, so getting a new cable from the states seems cost prohibitive.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:38   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Any fix for broken ICOM M700pro mic cable?

Well, unless you're handy with a soldering gun and mending small wires -- or can find someone with these skills -- you're pretty much stuck with finding a new mic or replacement.

Check out eBay listings; you might find a replacement mic. The mic for your radio is the EM-101 or the HM-180.

You can buy a new mic cord with connector, but you'd still need someone to affix it to the mic for you.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:29   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Scott,
After we finally got you working and making contacts on-the-air, this news was disheartening!!

And, in addition to the wiring details I posted in your other thread...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2011032
(where I wrote that your best bet is to buy a new mic or find someone that could effect this repair...)

1) I'd like to highlight my words from that posting / add a caution here....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
I suspect that it is possible to repair / solder / secure this, in order to make it work....but, you will need to find someone that can solder (and is good at it), has a soldering iron on-board,
Please take note that the tiny wires in mic cords and the small pins of the mic plugs are NOT someplace where a "soldering gun" is conducive to success!
Rather a small, low-wattage, soldering iron (with a "pencil" tip) is what I recommended....
I see comments about soldering guns, and I cringe!

Yes, I've got a standard 100/140watt Weller gun on-board, but also a nice 30-watt iron with a fine "pencil" tip....and it is the iron and fine tip that I would recommend...along with someone that knows what they are doing...

2) And, please take this heart-felt recommendation seriously...
--- Move the radio, or build a guard-rail / bracket in front of it...
--- And/or install some more / better hand-holds for YOU, so that you can better hold-on and not bump into things....after all, you could sustain an injury just as likely as you "injuring" your radio!

fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Thanks again for your input. I managed to get a fellow cruiser who has experience with this sort of delicate operation to solder the leads back on while I was in Georgetown. All working again!

Tags
icom, m700