Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 13:29   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Any Experience with Navico Halo24 Radar?

There seems to be little published so far, other than reprinted promotional blurb:

https://www.panbo.com/navico-halo24-...doppler-radar/

And anyway, I'm skeptical of reviews of this kind of gear.

I have been using a B&G 4G radar for about 6 years now. It has strong and weak points. Strongest point is really excellent DSP, making the guard zones extremely usable. Weak points are horrible MARPA, unusable, really, and poor bearing discrimination (can't overcome the small scanner I guess).

I sail in what is probably the heaviest traffic in the world (Channel, North Sea, etc.) and not having usable ARPA/MARPA is irritating, although I guess I can't say that it's a major problem (good old EBL is still a pretty good tool for the relatively few vessels not transmitting AIS).

And in general, I rely heavily on my radar and will probably always be dreaming about a better one.

Anyone have any experience with this? It looks like I would have to change not only the scanner but my MFD's as well, so could be an expensive upgrade. I am reluctant to stay with Navico, who orphan their gear so quickly , but maybe the newer stuff is better?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 16:41   #2

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Any Experience with Navico Halo24 Radar?

I purchased one as part of my electronics upgrade. I figure it's the best one available for now. The other brands will surely copy some features and likely introduce something new.

I haven't installed it yet. All I did was connect it to my newly installed Z3 12" and it was recognized immediately. It powered up and displayed on the screen as expected. Stand by to on is instantaneous. Of course all these upgrades forced more upgrades. I chose to purchase the additional Precision-9 compass to ensure the overlay's line up. So the costs do add up.

What I can say is that it is big and light. 24" as you know. Only 15 lbs. Wider is better. Lighter is better. Faster RPM is maybe better? Ethernet connected to the MFD.

I wish I could say more.

Tags
enc, navico, radar