Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2022, 15:30   #1

Boat: 1985 Gulfstar 44
Another onboard PC question

I know there's a million questions asked about this, but since the electronics industry evolves so damn quickly, my head is spinning. Given the current choices out there right now for a tablet or PC for navigation and GPS, what is the best option? Do any PCs have GPS or is it just cell phones and tablets?
I'm closing on a Gulfstar 44 motor yacht in a week or two and it has original electronics....1985, yeah ancient in todays terms. Great time to update.
Thnks, Richard B
Rookie Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 17:36   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Another onboard PC question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Pop View Post
I know there's a million questions asked about this, but since the electronics industry evolves so damn quickly, my head is spinning. Given the current choices out there right now for a tablet or PC for navigation and GPS, what is the best option? Do any PCs have GPS or is it just cell phones and tablets?
I'm closing on a Gulfstar 44 motor yacht in a week or two and it has original electronics....1985, yeah ancient in todays terms. Great time to update.
Thnks, Richard B
You can get a USB GPS dongle for any PC or laptop for $12-$17 and they work very well so that won't be a problem

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-G-Mou...-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Ex...ps%2C55&sr=8-4
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 17:52   #3

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

you can now get fully fanless 12V DC pc boxes with modern cpus and gpus. i'll throw together a video over the next few weeks since i am putting one together. specs are 64gb ram, 2x2tb raid 1 ssds, wifi, bt 5.2 etc in a space the size of a shoebox.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 18:00   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

First question you need to resolve is the display. You say "motor yacht" -- does that mean power boat? No exposed weather, no heeling, no sun, no gloved fingers, no wet displays? That opens up a LOT of options.

Sailboats are much harder to resolve mounting issues.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 19:13   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Thnks, Richard B
It all comes down to display. I find larger displays easier to view with more detail and opted for PC. Plus I carry a backup on voyages. As someone said you can buy a GPS unit to install in your computer, connect a portable GPS to it, or get an AIS, which I recommend, that will provide GPS along with the normal AIS features. Think twice about replacing older equipment that is still reliable...you will find plenty of things to spend money on with your new-to-you boat. PS: my boat is a 1979.
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2022, 19:33   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
First question you need to resolve is the display. You say "motor yacht" -- does that mean power boat? No exposed weather, no heeling, no sun, no gloved fingers, no wet displays? That opens up a LOT of options.

Sailboats are much harder to resolve mounting issues.
I'm not so sure Harry, we've found that stock laptop held to a (dry) nav station table with a bungie cord is a satisfactorily mount on a high performance, sailed hard, ocean going, sailing yacht.

USB hub and all the connections are easy.

No need for a computer hobby installation or separate screens, etc. A back-up is plug and play but really rarely needed.

If you need it outdoors get a weatherized android tablet and mirror the laptop screen on it.
Old 14-08-2022, 19:41   #7

Boat: 1985 Gulfstar 44

Thanks ! These are the answers I needed. I hope to see you out there, now I can and not be found wandering in circles!
RB
Rookie Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 07:09   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Thanks ! These are the answers I needed. I hope to see you out there, now I can and not be found wandering in circles!
RB

Well that’s not a given :-)

Congratulations on your new boat