Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 04:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Anemometer not showing wind speed. Why does this keep happening to me?

Hey guys!

I was sailing down from Jersey City, NJ, to Cape May, NJ, last week with my fiancé. But, she got seasick and we ended up stopping in Longport, right outside of Atlantic City. All the electronics were working correctly. Fast forward to last night. I came back to the boat after being away for 4 days. I'm sailing back solo back to Jersey City and what do I notice??? My wind instruments are shot. The anemometer spins on top of the mast and the arrow points in the direction of the wind, but the Raymarine ST70 is stuck. Any thoughts??? It's a 2012 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 and I've owned it for less than a year. Is this a sign of things to come??? Sh*t breaking from now on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	152308

Name:	IMG_1117.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	152309
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 12:26   #2

Re: Anemometer not showing wind speed. Why does this keep happening to me?

It is most likely that the Anemometer is not getting power.
That would be the Ground to Red wire which should be +8V.

The Green / Blue are between 2-8V and indicate the angle of wind, the Yellow wire indicates 0-5V depending on wind speed.

Since there is nothing being returned, it's likely that there is no power, or the cable is disconnected.

Trace it to the mast, there is probably a junction box in the mast area too. Ours is a keel stepped mast, so it's right below the entrance of the mast to the boat
chad-wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 11:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad-wl View Post
It is most likely that the Anemometer is not getting power.
That would be the Ground to Red wire which should be +8V.

The Green / Blue are between 2-8V and indicate the angle of wind, the Yellow wire indicates 0-5V depending on wind speed.

Since there is nothing being returned, it's likely that there is no power, or the cable is disconnected.

Trace it to the mast, there is probably a junction box in the mast area too. Ours is a keel stepped mast, so it's right below the entrance of the mast to the boat

Thank you!! I also I noticed my outlets aren't working. Probably a power issue for both. Would I look at the fuses or circuit breakers anywhere? There's a mess behind the panel and don't know which fuse or circuit to look at first
Old 11-08-2017, 15:15   #4

Still no luck... anyone have any other ideas? I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2017, 15:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Still no luck... anyone have any other ideas? I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.
Get a multimeter and start at the cable powering the wind display, work backwards following the power until you get to the battery or breaker. Not much we can offer other then start at the end and work forward.

Did your outlets start working? Did you mean 12v DC outlets or shore power outlets?
chad-wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad-wl View Post
Get a multimeter and start at the cable powering the wind display, work backwards following the power until you get to the battery or breaker. Not much we can offer other then start at the end and work forward.

Did your outlets start working? Did you mean 12v DC outlets or shore power outlets?
And what do I do with the multimeter? Sorry to sound like a beginner. If the power is there, then keep moving backwards? And I test for power by pressing the red and black multimeter terminals to the cable? I'm assuming the power is there because the screen works and shows depth, but does not show the wind direction and wind speed. Yet, the top of the mast is spinning

Outlets still out... it's the regular electrical outlets 110/120 V (3 prong) on the vessel that only work on shore power. The boat is connected to shore power and batteries are charging and everything else works. 12V DC cigarette outlets work, too. Just the normal electrical outlets don't work. There are 3 of them - 1 in each cabin.

I looked behind the switch panel and there are a bunch of wires and 10AMP blade fuses and I'm lost on all of it. Ugh
Old 13-09-2017, 21:28   #7

Outlets work. Anemometer still doesn't
Old 13-09-2017, 22:39   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Can't say what's wrong with the anemometer, though I would not say it is not necessarily a big thing to worry about. BUT, yes, it is a sign of things to come! Stuff breaks all the time on all boats, new and old! Don't let it get you down. You can sail safely without it till you track down the power loss there.
I know, sorry, not very helpful.
Checked the fuses right?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 11:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Can't say what's wrong with the anemometer, though I would not say it is not necessarily a big thing to worry about. BUT, yes, it is a sign of things to come! Stuff breaks all the time on all boats, new and old! Don't let it get you down. You can sail safely without it till you track down the power loss there.
I know, sorry, not very helpful.
Checked the fuses right?
Thank you! I appreciate it. I checked the fuses but I'll check them again. I guess I'll have to get dirty and start taking it apart. I was thinking of buying a new one... a Raymarine i60. But if it's not the actual display, then it'll be throwing money out the window
Old 14-09-2017, 12:22   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Thank you! I appreciate it. I checked the fuses but I'll check them again. I guess I'll have to get dirty and start taking it apart. I was thinking of buying a new one... a Raymarine i60. But if it's not the actual display, then it'll be throwing money out the window
Pull the fuses and ensure that the contacts are clean and dry. Any corrosion can goof you up. Apply a little "NoOx" to the fuse ends before you reinstall them. FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 12:47   #11

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

My sensor went out, take it off and send it to Dan Gerhardt, He will fix it for about $100. He did a great job for me on that and st 7000.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 03:43   #12

Boat: Moody 37

I sometimes have that problem and it's always caused by corrosion on the connector at the mast foot.
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 07:23   #13

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

They're telling you to trace the power from the instrument on the mast backwards, not the meter. It's possible the issue can be the sensor itself, or anywhere in between.

Have you reset the meter yet?

My poor sailboat doesn't even have the windex up right now. A Pelican decided to land on it and pulled it off the mast. At least I was lucky it landed in the cockpit without killing anyone and I get the joy of bolting it back down when I go up to fix the anchor light this week. Indeed things are going to break, but usually it is easy enough to fix. A wise and prudent project is to label every wire and fuse so you can easily find electrical issues when you need to work on things. Make a schematic if possible, you won't be wasting your time.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 08:19   #14

Thank you for the posts, guys!! I'll check out the actual ST60 unit tomorrow. In the meantime, I took my girl apart a little to trace the culprit

Name:	IMG_2007.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	156755
Old 27-09-2017, 08:31   #15

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	156756

Tags
wind