Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 13:30   #1

Boat: Viking 44
Android vs iPhone

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I know things change fast in our world.
I have to do a run up the east coast and need backup to my chart plotter.
Tides, local knowledge, drag app.
Would an android do all this or should I go iphone (and if so which one.)
I know someone mentioned the 3g is still the best because of the built in gps
in that model only. Is that still the case. And is it only the 3g and not the 3gs?

Also good reception as a cell phone is a must.

Best bang for the buck also.

Any comments would be appreciated.
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:00   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Ed I've had both. I started with a 1st gen Droid and have since gone with an iPhone 4s. Many of my issues are likely addressed by now but I can't say that for certain. The issue I have with Android right now is fragmentation. Different phone manufacturers support different OS levels and sometimes with third party software it just fails miserably or did with me. They are working on a free port of OpenCPN which is a plus for Android.

The iPhone is nice and definitely user friendly for a non technical person. Software generally works but for boating there aren't many free solutions. My 4s seems good with the GPS but it does have known battery troubles. I would suspect but can't say factually most smartphones are equipped with A-GPS.

iPhone's aren't as customizable as Droid type phones but the droids **might** be a little more unstable but that is very subjective.

If you like simple I'd go with the iPhone but of you tinker maybe a droid something with OpenCPN is a better fit.

I guess the question is what type of user are you? Prefer simple or somewhat geeky. I'm a geek with an iPhone and bit can be frustrating at times.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:12   #3

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: Android vs iphone

MXMariner on Droid is incredible. So many options with Android being open source.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:33   #4

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

I've got an android, but don't use it for sailing. I just wanted to point out that in my experience, the reception/coverage you get has more to do with the network you subscribe to than the phone you're using.
Old 12-02-2012, 15:48   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I have an iphone 4s.

I am going to give it to my son and go back to a dinasaur phone.

Then later to a droid.

That is just me.
Old 12-02-2012, 15:52   #6
abh

Iphone has the worst reception of any phone. I'd go for samsung.
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
I've got an android, but don't use it for sailing. I just wanted to point out that in my experience, the reception/coverage you get has more to do with the network you subscribe to than the phone you're using.
My EVO and many other Droids use a stand alone gps, cell coverage isnt required.
Old 12-02-2012, 16:02   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Walmart now sells a low end smart phone. The Go phone att Fusion for $125.

WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, up to 32 Gigs on a SD card.

I'd like to try one for that price with no contract, and use MX Mariner. That and the use of free WiFi hotspots appeals to me. I could buy one and put my att sim in it and carry on.

I am unsure what OS MX Mariner requires, and couldn't find out online searching for a couple of hours yesterday. The Fusion has 2.3 or so. And the latest is 3.0 I think.

Anyone know if MX Mariner will work on the older Andriod OS?

Anyone know if a no-data plan sim will prevent free WiFi hotspots from working? I find contradicting info on that.

I like Apple stuff, but still no Iphone for me because of price or contract commitment. I'm done with contracts after my MiFi contract is up in two months.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:18   #9

Im still using Gingerbread with MXMariner.

No sim shouldnt effect wifi either
Old 12-02-2012, 16:27   #10

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Droid Thunderbolt with Verizon coverage. This phone is 4G LTE with GPS. Currently using the free version of Earth NC . Anytime I have needed to make a phone call, on the Chesapeake, I have had reception to do it. As far as back up to chart plotter, I haven't had to use it yet...but I have tested it and it appears that it would be up to the task.

I have heard that Sprint has no off shore coverage....not sure about AT&T.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:29   #11

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Another vote for MX Mariner on an Android device.

Right now I'm running it on a Droid 3. It's a great app, and Will keeps improving it at an amazing pace.

Soon I hope to get a Galaxy tablet -- or any of the new Android tabs -- and run MX Mariner on that, too.

I also like the idea of getting a Galaxy Note with the 5" screen and cell phone capability. One device to be both phone and tab.

For cheapskates out there -- get service from PagePlus via Kitty Wireless. 4 cents a minute pay as you go. 3G data costs $1 per megabyte -- which is steep, but you can do almost all data-intensive tasks via wifi. I spend about $7 a month on my cell service. Checking my email via 3G when necessary costs about a nickel.

To bring it back round to MX Mariner -- all the charts work offline -- no 3G connection needed. Cheap, good.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:37   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Also, for Android in general, several good tide apps. I use Tide Chart free version. It allows you to set 3 favorite ports and get daily high and low tides for each, plus a graph of all tides for days ahead that you can simply flip through. You can also input any lat/long and get tides for that place. You can set a future date and see tides for next month or next year.

And other cool apps --

StarChart (no 3G needed, unlike Google's star app). Point it up to any spot in the sky and it shows you the names of stars and constellations. You do need to have GPS and an inclinometer on your device.

Astroid -- gives you sunrise/sunset, moonrise/moonset, moon phase, length of day compared to shortest and longest day of the year, rise and set times for all planets, azimuth of sunrise and sunset, azimuth for moonrise and moonset, noon elevation, etc .

Windfinder -- shows direction and strength of winds for any location.

Still looking for a good app that shows significant currents.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Another vote for MX Mariner on an Android device.

Right now I'm running it on a Droid 3. It's a great app, and Will keeps improving it at an amazing pace.

Soon I hope to get a Galaxy tablet -- or any of the new Android tabs -- and run MX Mariner on that, too.

I also like the idea of getting a Galaxy Note with the 5" screen and cell phone capability. One device to be both phone and tab.

For cheapskates out there -- get service from PagePlus via Kitty Wireless. 4 cents a minute pay as you go. 3G data costs $1 per megabyte -- which is steep, but you can do almost all data-intensive tasks via wifi. I spend about $7 a month on my cell service. Checking my email via 3G when necessary costs about a nickel.

To bring it back round to MX Mariner -- all the charts work offline -- no 3G connection needed. Cheap, good.

Good point about the maps working offline. Also, saw an ad for a tablet. Some kid was finger painting water on it. Waterproof tab for $250.
Old 12-02-2012, 16:58   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Im still using Gingerbread with MXMariner.

No sim shouldnt effect wifi either

Thanks for that feedback.

At Best Buy I was told a data plan sim was required, but I failed to ask if a no-data sim would work if not planning to access data via the cell towers.

On them internets I read of people using data without a plan and were upgraded automatically to a data plan. It was hard to determine if it was a reference to wifi hotspots or data via towers.

My cell phone costs me $12 per month and the phone itself cost $14.

I've been trying to decide between an Ipod touch or a cheaper smart phone for MX Mariner and WiFi hotspots.

I'm leaning toward the Fusion and Android.

Going to look into the Galaxy Note right now. Always thought the Ipad should make phone calls as well.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:04   #15

Boat: Cape George 36

I think there are still more apps for iPhone. It is what I have. I also write apps for both Android and iOS phones and think the iPhone is better put together in a lot of ways. So that is what I prefer. But either probably works OK.

iNavX is on the iPhone and great.

>They are working on a free port of OpenCPN which is a plus for Android.

and I'm working on a Mac/iOS port of same - neither is ready for use.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone