Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 05:40   #46

Boat: 78ft ex racing catamaran
Re: Android marine instruments app

I doubt it - I am targeting Android deployment only at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Great project.

This is whats missing from OpenPlotter.
There seems to be more than one developer heading towards the end-goal of custom NMEA displays but you seem to have broken the back of the job. Trouble is they seem to be on different platforms.
Any chance of this ending up on Raspbian ?
damianham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:14   #47

Dear shipmates

It is with great pleasure I announce that I have released the first version of this app on the Google Android Play store.

The app is called OceanIX. If you search for it a lot of apps appear in the list first, please scroll down until you see the attached logo. Here is the link to the app listing anyway - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...izness.oceanIX

I am sure there are issues with this first release so I would really appreciate your feedback.

Some points of interest:
- It should work with OpenPlotter as openplotter has a signalK server
- to set the anchor watch either drop at the current position or calculate where the anchor is positioned given the boat heading and rode length
- you can modify the anchor guard distance and modify the anchor position

Please note the following points

- the app has been tested on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 only and only really looks OK in landscape mode
- the anchor watch instrument has not been tested with GPS position data while anchored (I don't have a log file with that data)
- the app contains a page of engine gauges that read data from a signalK server, however I don't have a NMEA2000 log file with engine data, so this part is untested
- there is a menu button in the top left corner which pops out a menu that contains a help page with detailed information and a settings page to configure stuff
- when you first open the app you will get a dialog to configure the SignalK server URL and/or an NMEA-0183 data stream URL - without one of these URLs the app will not serve any useful purpose

Many thanks in advance and I hope you find it useful

best regards
damian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon512.png
Views:	129
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	118750  
Old 11-02-2016, 03:21   #48

Boat: Moody 376

Any chance of nmea2000 support?
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:19   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Hate to tell you this, but you will have to change your status to Marine Service Provider.

I was told by the mods that I had to do this to tell forum members about a couple of free ad-supported Android apps.Y ours is commercial ($14.50 for an Android App?) Apparently, it is not acceptable to post a link as an ordinary "Registered Member".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:23   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
Any chance of nmea2000 support?
For NMEA2000 support please have a look at the signalK installation page, I think you will find that helpful. Signal K Installation.

That page recommends using an actisense NGT-1 which is a serial -> USB device and you need some way of getting the data from the USB port onto the wifi network so it makes sense to plug it into a raspberry PI that provides a wifi access point and install the signalK server et al.

It is possible to plug an NGT-1 directly into an android tablet if you have the appropriate connector and read the serial data from the USB device with the addition of some software but there are difficulties with this as there are different serial drivers and you wouldn't be able to walk around the boat with the tablet.

If there is some device that transmits NMEA2K data over wifi then I could look into that if you have the details.

regards
damian
Old 11-02-2016, 04:39   #51

done - thanks for letting me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hate to tell you this, but you will have to change your status to Marine Service Provider.

I was told by the mods that I had to do this to tell forum members about a couple of free ad-supported Android apps.Y ours is commercial ($14.50 for an Android App?) Apparently, it is not acceptable to post a link as an ordinary "Registered Member".
Old 11-02-2016, 04:55   #52

Boat: Moody 376

sure thing...

dmkyacht... they make a box that does just that...

Cheers.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:14   #53
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianham View Post
- when you first open the app you will get a dialog to configure the SignalK server URL and/or an NMEA-0183 data stream URL - without one of these URLs the app will not serve any useful purpose
Hmm, can't seem to get it to see the incoming data.
With the nmea address set to 192.168.43.75:10110 on a sony xperia openCPN can see the gps position and AIS data, so the address looks like it's working. I put that into oceanix and have a position of 0,0.

Any ideas?
Looks great though.

On a separate note, the output websocket on signalK which was..
http://localhost:3000/signalk/stream/v1?stream=delta
seems to now be..
http://localhost:3000/examples/consumer-example.html
certainly looks the same if i open up http://192.168.43.75:3000/examples/c...r-example.html
in a web browser....
(I'm not that familiar with signalK so could be wrong )

Quote:
{
"context": "vessels.urn:mrn:signalk:uuid:c0d79334-4e25-4245-8892-54e8ccc8021d",
"updates": [
{
"source": {},
"timestamp": "2016-02-11T13:12:36.186Z",
"values": [
{
"path": "navigation.gnss",
"value": {
"source": {
"type": "NMEA0183",
"sentence": "GGA",
"label": "signalk/signalk-parser-nmea0183",
"talker": "GP"
},
"timestamp": "2016-02-11T13:12:35.000Z",
"quality": 1,
"satellites": 8,
"antennaAltitude": 20,
"horizontalDilution": 1,
"geoidalSeparation": 51,
"differentialAge": 0,
"differentialReference": 0
}
}
]
}
]
}
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:19   #54

OK thanks I will get hold of one and try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
sure thing...

dmkyacht... they make a box that does just that...

Cheers.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:23   #55

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Dear shipmates

It is with great pleasure I announce that I have released the first version of this app on the Google Android Play store.

The app is called OceanIX. If you search for it a lot of apps appear in the list first, please scroll down until you see the attached logo. Here is the link to the app listing anyway - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...izness.oceanIX

I am sure there are issues with this first release so I would really appreciate your feedback.

Some points of interest:
- It should work with OpenPlotter as openplotter has a signalK server
- to set the anchor watch either drop at the current position or calculate where the anchor is positioned given the boat heading and rode length
- you can modify the anchor guard distance and modify the anchor position

Please note the following points

- the app has been tested on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 only and only really looks OK in landscape mode
- the anchor watch instrument has not been tested with GPS position data while anchored (I don't have a log file with that data)
- the app contains a page of engine gauges that read data from a signalK server, however I don't have a NMEA2000 log file with engine data, so this part is untested
- there is a menu button in the top left corner which pops out a menu that contains a help page with detailed information and a settings page to configure stuff

Many thanks in advance and I hope you find it useful

best regards
damian

You want me to pay you $20 to test your admittedly incomplete app ?

I would suggest you make it free, at least untill the major bugs are resolved.

Good Luck,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35   #56

I think the issue is the transport protocol.

It will take me a few days to figure this out and provide an update - sorry for the inconvenience.

SignalK provides 2 interfaces - one that provides web pages over regular http and one that provides the signalK data stream over web sockets.

http://localhost:3000/examples/consumer-example.html is the URL that you put in your browser and you will see the web page served from that URL. This web page will connect to the signalK server via websockets at the URL http://localhost:3000/signalk/stream/v1?stream=delta

however when entering the signalK server URL in OceanIX you would enter

http://192.168.43.75:3000/signalk/st...1?stream=delta

Which I am guessing is the IP address of the device running signalK

Please try that and see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Hmm, can't seem to get it to see the incoming data.
With the nmea address set to 192.168.43.75:10110 on a sony xperia openCPN can see the gps position and AIS data, so the address looks like it's working. I put that into oceanix and have a position of 0,0.

Any ideas?
Looks great though.

On a separate note, the output websocket on signalK which was..
http://localhost:3000/signalk/stream/v1?stream=delta
seems to now be..
http://localhost:3000/examples/consumer-example.html
certainly looks the same if i open up http://192.168.43.75:3000/examples/c...r-example.html
in a web browser....
(I'm not that familiar with signalK so could be wrong )
Old 11-02-2016, 05:47   #57

Well the parts that I admit are untested (rather than incomplete) are the anchor watch and the engine gauges for lack of real world test data.

The anchor watch was tested with a data stream that slows down to 0 knots, the boat moves position a little for 5 minutes then picks up speed and zooms out of the guard circle and playing the alarm.

I have no engine parameters test data so this part is untested but if I provide dummy data the gauges indicate the correct measurements. This app is standing on the shoulders of the excellent SignalK server so if signalK emits the engine data the gauges will show that data.

I will be surprised if there are any major bugs as I have been testing this continuously during development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
You want me to pay you $20 to test your admittedly incomplete app ?

I would suggest you make it free, at least untill the major bugs are resolved.

Good Luck,
JM.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:45   #58
cruiser

Quote:

http://192.168.43.75:3000/signalk/st...1?stream=delta

Which I am guessing is the IP address of the device running signalK

Please try that and see if it works.
Sorry, still nothing using http://192.168.43.75:3000/signalk/st...1?stream=delta.
A few notes about the setup - SignalK data is being created by a raspberry Pi running openplotter conneceted to an AIS engine & gps. This is connected over wifi to a mobile phone acting as a mobile hot spot. Also connect to the mobile hotspot I have the sony xperia tablet and a win7 laptop. Both the NMEA and signalK streams seem to be working - opencpn sems gps & AIS data over nmea of both devices and 192.168.43.75:3000/instrumentpanel works showing live data ina web-browser on either device.

Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:54   #59

not at the moment and just popping out for a beer. I will recreate your setup as best I can and see what I need to do to resolve it - it may take a few days though.... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Sorry, still nothing using http://192.168.43.75:3000/signalk/st...1?stream=delta.
A few notes about the setup - SignalK data is being created by a raspberry Pi running openplotter conneceted to an AIS engine & gps. This is connected over wifi to a mobile phone acting as a mobile hot spot. Also connect to the mobile hotspot I have the sony xperia tablet and a win7 laptop. Both the NMEA and signalK streams seem to be working - opencpn sems gps & AIS data over nmea of both devices and 192.168.43.75:3000/instrumentpanel works showing live data ina web-browser on either device.

Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:56   #60
cruiser

Quote:
not at the moment and just popping out for a beer. I will recreate your setup as best I can and see what I need to do to resolve it - it may take a few days though.... sorry
Thanks, no rush. Beer sounds like a great idea

Tags
marine, men, rum