Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 06:57   #16

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hi Wally42,
I am very interrested by your app for my iPhone. But my question is : does these app works when my iPhone (3G) is on the "plane" mode (I don't know the term in english = whithout telephone connection) ? Because i use to sail from a country to another (Med sea) and phone connections are very expensive when out of your country. So Ii use mostly my iPone on the wifi mode.
Thanks for answering;
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 07:06   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
As a reminder gentlemen, you may only list your product for sale in the Vendors Forum.

From the Forum Rules....
Commercial Parties (For-profit companies and Industry professionals):
The forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not intended for soliciting business (authorized commercial parties must keep any post that hints at advertising strictly to the vendors forums). Our purpose is sharing knowledge so others can benefit. Cruisers Forum may, at it's discretion, grant vendor account status to industry professionals who are already members in good standing. Authorized commercial participants must adhere to all the forum policies including these specifically set out for commercial participants.
  • Members who have a commercial interest in participating in our community will be identified as commercial vendors at our discretion. We enforce a very strict policy regarding solicitation of our membership by commercial participants.
  • Commercial vendors may not quote prices in any forum except the Vendors Forum.
  • Commercial vendors may not use any section of the forum except the Vendors Forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case vendors may not quote prices (unless in Vendors Forums).
  • Commercial vendors may not use the main Forums to direct others to the Vendors Forums.
  • Commercial vendors may place a (1) link to their company website in their signature line (font size 2
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 07:34   #18
Marine Service Provider

Jacques2 brings up a very good point. If the app requires a data connection then it's pretty much useless to anyone who's cruising.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 13:44   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For navigation apps on iPhone, Make sure "Airplane Mode" in "Settings" is "OFF" as it disables not only the cell and WiFi connection, but also disables GPS reception for all apps. Do be sure that "Location Services" in "ON".

For users concerned with roaming charges, just be sure that "General" "Network" "Data Roaming" is "OFF" in "Settings".
GPSNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 16:09   #20

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
[QUOTE=CSY Man;356184]
Quote:
[
Anchor Alarm on iPhone
/QUOTE]

There is an app for that...?

I suppose it could be useful. Can you adjust the sensitivity or "drift" before the alarm goes off?

I got an iPhone recently, but have not downloaded any apps yet.
Been thinking about stuff like CNN and Starbucks and such but every time I try to download a free app, somebody wants my credit card...
Yes, iTunes requires a credit card even for free apps, not a big deal and very secure. So many great apps, your missing out!!
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 16:32   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
For users concerned with roaming charges, just be sure that "General" "Network" "Data Roaming" is "OFF" in "Settings".
Will that turn off roaming entirely (AKA: for voice also) or just roaming for data?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 17:01   #22

Boat: 40 Beneteau CC
Send a message via ICQ to sail2wind
Just data, when we sail between USVI and BVI you can really get dinked on data roaming. When my phone shows the ATT signal all is well, if it shows CCT Boatphone, you are roaming.
sail2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 19:07   #23

Since the Navx works on my new IPad as well as the Iphone, I'm guessing that your anchor alarm would work on the IPad also?
nettlesbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes iNavX (v2.1.5) runs on iPad, but keep in mind iPad has no GPS receiver so it's not very useful for stand alone navigation. The iPad 3G (Available Late April) does have a GPS receiver. At that same time we will release iNavX 3.0.0 (A free update to all iNavX users) which will be native on both iPhone and iPad 3G. This means iNavX will use the entire iPad screen..

http://www.inavx.com/images/iNavXiPa...capeNOAA02.jpg
GPSNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:51   #25

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Apps that might be of interest:

Tides (as backup if GPS fails)

Manufacturer's contact information for sailing gear problems (This can be a real pain to find when cruising.)

Perhaps a simplified download of weather, so one does not have to download entire webpages on the Iphone. Such as: M: SW 10. T: SW-NW 10-15. W: NW 25. TH: NNW 25. FR: N-NE 20 etc. Maybe get it as a text message, so one can get it without needing to activate data.

This would all be more useful if Apple would deal with their phones being so sensitive to salt air.

I'd be interested in testing the anchor alarm this June in the BVIs. I anchor out most every night. Will be there and Bahamas for 3 weeks.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 17:10   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcr69 View Post
I would pay a reasonable price for android platform.
As would I.

+1!
standardhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 00:28   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
We’re using an i-phone anchor alarm basically every night we’re at anchor. A nice additional feature would be for the anchor alarm program to call or sms a pre-set phone number (Including international numbers), if the anchor alarm is triggered. This would provide additional confidence when ashore and the boat is out of sight.
I’d also be happy to demo the program.

Burls
Old 10-07-2010, 00:46   #28

Can I assume that this app will work with the iPad as well?? Just curious.. sounds cool though
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53   #29

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
Is there a Celestial Navigation App? I tried to find one but have no been able to.
That makes no sense, IMHO. The only use for celestial is if the electrons stopped flowing.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:27   #30

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Is there an app that will do my laundry?

On a more serious note. It would be helpful for a new thread that lists all the boating related iPhone apps. I already have a couple for wind reports and tides.

Tags
alarm, anchor, iphone