Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 17:08   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Amec vs Vesper AIS Transponder

I am looking for anyone with direct experience with Amec Camino AIS transponders- especially the 108- with or without WiFi. See AMEC CAMINO-108 Class B AIS transponder

Yes I am aware of all the features that Vesper has and that it is the bee's knees. But the difference in price is $250! That is the cost of an antenna splitter, many cases of beer or a few cases of other beverages.

The 108 is an AIS transponder, can function as a multiplexer, is NMEA 0183 and 2000 compliant- this begs the question "Is the deal too good to be true?"

Any input on the Amec will be appreciated.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:17   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Amec vs Vesper AIS Transponder

I've had a Camino 101 for about 18 months... works OK... ships see me... I see ships.
Old 07-06-2015, 17:41   #3

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I have been using the AMEC with bluetooth for about 3 years. I like it a lot. Sometimes receive up to 50 miles. Just went through Sing with it. With bt I can use a tablet easily
Old 07-06-2015, 18:16   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples, the Vesper XB-8000 has been priced as low as $666 on sale and is regularly below $700 while the Amec appears to require an external GPS antenna that must be purchased separately for $50. So the price difference isn't quite $250 and is virtually disappears when you add the Wi-Fi option on the Amec.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 19:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

4 arch thank you for your inputs. I have not seen the Vesper below $725 for sometime. I do not need the wifi option as I have a madman wifi adapter.

The GPS antenna is not needed- my iPad does not have one . If I do get it that is a $50 up. Plus the vesper splitter is more.

Hence my focused request for info on Caminos.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 08-06-2015, 07:44   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
4 arch thank you for your inputs. I have not seen the Vesper below $725 for sometime. I do not need the wifi option as I have a madman wifi adapter.

The GPS antenna is not needed- my iPad does not have one . If I do get it that is a $50 up. Plus the vesper splitter is more.

Hence my focused request for info on Caminos.
I think the WiFi aspect really does it for me...but if you don't require it, I can't see why you wouldn't pocket the difference.

I assume you are aware of the Digital Yacht transponder? (Just to mix you up further!) Digital Yacht - AIT2000 CLASS B TRANSPONDER
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:20   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32

4Arch has it about right. I want the WiFi, so it appears to be a choice of the better transponder. Practical sailor gave Vesper a very good review, but I also had great results with the Amec, although the WiFi add-on was not then available. Let's have more comments from users.
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:28   #8

Boat: C&C 34, 34 feet

I too run the Amec on my boat. Give Doug at Miltech Marine a call. They are excellent to deal with.
Truemettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33   #9

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the 108, but I do own a Vesper.

Are we sure the 108 can act as a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 multiplexer? The Vesper will convert back and forth plus send all that data to the WIFI and USB interfaces. This is what sold me as the Vesper bridges between my ST6002 and my NMEA 2000 network. It saved me the cost of an Actisense device.

The other thing I will point out. You don't NEED the Vesper splitter, you can use any spitter with it. Of course they recommend their splitter.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43   #10

Boat: Lots of boats.

As one of your more typical sailors, I rarely get out on the water more than maybe once a month during a season. So I have a hard time justifying the cost of almost anything. But having been "caught" by darkness more times that I like to admit, I can appreciate the merits of AIS functionality and added a VERY simple SDR solution to my boat via my laptop. Having almost been hit by a 200 foot barge traveling outside the channel at night I fully understand the necessity of AIS (or Radar) at night or in fog.

I too am a fan of affordable GPS. Years ago I did the Governor's Cup all night race here in the Chesapeake and just about hit a very large unmarked buoy. Then on the way back, I got caught by darkness and almost hit a stationary marker because I fixated on the blinking light. I thought it was off in the distance when in reality it was right in front of me. As soon as I saw the actual lens of the light I quickly realized my mistake and veered out of the way at the last second. So I understand the appeal of GPS at night. I also learned that you don't aim your boat directly at anything. You are liable to hit it.

Some would say that safety should override one's reluctance to spend money, but for many boaters, these things are simply out of reach. I am glad to see the cost of GPS and AIS transponders and even Radar get within reach of the average boater. I appreciate you bringing up the topic.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:12   #11

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Is a 200+ gap an issue in choosing a 700+ item?

Maybe , as a 3rd criterion
1st is overall integration
2nd is functions + quality

I wanted a Vesper 9000

But, having a Triton2 B&G wind stn + monitor w multifunctions, i ill buy their black box AIS
:-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Is a 200+ gap an issue in choosing a 700+ item?

Maybe , as a 3rd criterion
1st is overall integration
2nd is functions + quality

I wanted a Vesper 9000

But, having a Triton2 B&G wind stn + monitor w multifunctions, i ill buy their black box AIS
:-)
Rather rude post!

First, I have no issue spending the $200. At 60 I have still been known to run up $100 bar bills. Or burn $200 on a nice dinner with my wife. I do have an issue wasting money.

Mr. Thunderbird, had you read the original post you would have noted that I pointed out how the Amec has all the same functions and integration capability as the Vesper. Addressing two of the points you raised. The third criteria you stated was cost, that sir is incorrect. The third, but most important, is quality. That is the question I was raising to owners of the device.

Thank you for adding to the conversation...... not
Old 08-06-2015, 10:17   #13

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

No intention to be rude
Really, no one is interested in hour bar bills (although they tell me a lot) not into your family treats (as to THIS FORUM)

Vesper works with its own LAN, maybe amec does alike. However vedper is the most technically acclaimed, all around..
quality & functions are both paired to 2nd ranking, imo. They go quite together, a vondivio sine qua non..

"Third, but most important" .. oxymoron?

I am sorry for your little calmness on this topic

incidentally, i added to a general discussion "to all" , not to the post opener only. This is a all-to-all forum...or .. not!?
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:53   #14

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

As an adide, I have had great costumet service direct from the factory with AMEC concerning a software question. Kudos
Old 08-06-2015, 17:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the inputs.

Haven't heard a negative yet, so looks like Amec it is. going to call mill tech tomorrow.

Tags
ais