Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 14:29   #1

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Am/Fm

What is the best I can get for a set up to get the most out of am/fm. I am not interested in satellite/tower or web service, just old fashioned am/fm. My cruising ground is the BC coast. Is there an antenna I could put up mast top? What about a good quality radio (probably obsolete?). Any help on set up, wire to use etc.... would all be appreciated. Thanks...
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 15:19   #2

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Re: Am/Fm

I have a Sony car type (marine) am/fm, cd, mp3.player with speakers in the cabin, I'm guessing most boats do, Shakespeare makes several antenas for this set up. I have a wired remote control and speakers on the flybridge. Most marine store will have all the gear you will need.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28   #3

Boat: Catalina C-42

I also have a Sony car stereo aboard. I use a Shakespeare 4357-S marine vhf - am/fm splitter that allows you to use your masthead vhf antenna as an am/fm antenna. The VHF works normally and there is no interference to the stereo. There probably is some insertion loss with your VHF signal but I've noticed no difference. I've used the splitter for over 10 years with no problems and pretty decent am/fm reception.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

I put one of these in our boat.

Pyle PLMR87WB AM/FM-MPX IN-Dash Marine MP3 Player/Weatherband/USB & SD Card Function (Black) by Pyle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HJ5B7W/..._pH98sb00P11ZX

Surprisingly decent sound with a USB port that you can charge you phone with. When We get tired of the FM we hook up the iPhone and listen to Pandora.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:30   #5

Boat: Morgan 383

I didn't see any specific reference above to AM antennae. (The FM recommendations were fine. We are satisfied with using an antenna splitter for VHF and FM radio. VHF is FM BTW.)

Is there an optimized way to set up typical in-dash style car/marine radios for AM reception?

Truth be told, we don't ever listen to AM. We would if we were out of range of FM stations I suppose. My (limited) experience is that the AM reception is fine when using the masthead antenna.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 19:49   #6

It's my experience that most car radios are pretty good radio receivers and since most 'marine' am/fm radios are just car radios with white escutcheon plates they should just work.

My own preference would be to have a separate am/fm antenna rather than splitting the VHF antenna. Depending on your cruising grounds, you could even just tuck 4 ft of thin wire in your cabin headliner as an antenna and you'd get good reception.

The best AM antenna would be something like a long wire hoisted on a halyard... but this shouldn't be necessary in most places.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 20:16   #7

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Remember the old axiom about sound systems that you should put 1/2 of your money into speakers. Just be sure that they can handle the humidity! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote