Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 14:13   #1

Boat: whitby 45
Alpha 3000 autopilot

Looking for contact info for Alpha Marine or are they out of business? can you direct me to someone who might know the system really well. i have a alpha 3000 that needs some tlc ... Thanks
mvzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 20:43   #2

Boat: Swan 41
Re: Alpha 3000 autopilot

Alpha marine is out of business. We also have the Alpha 3000 and are working to diagnose a problem with the drive unit. We do have the manual and two short diagnosis and repair guides from the Offshore Store (also closed). If you don't have that information, let us know and we can send the documents to you.
Anthea41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 02:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Alpha Marine Systems Alpha 3000 Installation And Operation Manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/90...00.html#manual
Or ➥ https://prodocs24.com/view/987824/al...ion-manual-16/

The links, in this thread may be dead, but perhaps might help in an archive search
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ual-14677.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 08:06   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

If the motor is bad, as mine was 20 years ago, before I junked the drive unit, there was information, which I never bothered to verify, that the motor was a standard Johnson motor but with a specially reduced shaft size. Supposedly, one could buy the modified motor from Johnson for about $25, but with a minimum order of 25. Or just buy the standard motor and find a good machine shop.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 09:01   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

If the ram is a bit older, the motor has long been out of manufacture. I spent many hours trying to find one several years ago with no success. If anyone knows of a suitable replacement (with manufacturer and part numbers) many would be very appreciative.

That said, there may be options, depending on what the problem really is.

If it is the ram, several issues can arise:

1. The internal potentiometer which serves as the ram position sensor does fail, but is a commonly available, easy to replace and inexpensive item. I forget the specs, just match what is there.

2. When my motor failed, disassembly showed the phenolic (?) brush holder had overheated and distorted. I was able to restore it to its original shape with very careful application of heat from a heat gun. Worked fine after that.

3. My control unit went wonky, and I am not good at fixing electronic guts and there was no evidence of internal damage, so I replaced the unit with a Raymarine course computer. If doing this several issues arise:

a. Make sure you select a CC that can support the 20 amp current of the drive.
b. The Ray CC does not "know" where the ram is, only where the rudder is. Since the Alpha uses a manual mechanical disconnect, it is VITAL that the CC never be engaged when the ram is disconnected. This can be done by "procedure" but if one messes up, the ram can be damaged. I used a microswitch to sense a disconnected ram and a relay to interrupt current to the ram. Works perfectly.

If you want more details, PM me.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 02:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
b. The Ray CC does not "know" where the ram is, only where the rudder is. Since the Alpha uses a manual mechanical disconnect, it is VITAL that the CC never be engaged when the ram is disconnected. This can be done by "procedure" but if one messes up, the ram can be damaged. I used a microswitch to sense a disconnected ram and a relay to interrupt current to the ram. Works perfectly.

If you want more details, PM me.

A micro switch to prevent burning the motor
when the Raymarine computer is ON ?

Would you please explain me how it works ?
artstarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 07:47   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Sorry, didn't notice your post and question.

The microswitch (MS) is triggered by the position of the dog on the sector/tiller arm. The MS then controls the relay which in turn controls power to the Ram The relay is located in the power lead going to the Ram itself. The MS allows the relay to close ONLY if the tiller arm is fully engaged. Thus the Ram can only operate with the tiller arm engaged, even if the course computer is trying to drive it.

Sorry for the late reply.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot