Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 00:54   #1

Ais using iPad

Hello All iPad experts. I have marine traffic, an internet based ais system but now plan to purchase a VHF version. My question is, will an NMEA 0183 or 2000 ais system integrate with an iPad using the Navionics app?
Thanks
Petercisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 02:13   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Ais using iPad

No.

You need a nmea to wifi unit...

Look at the dmk box. and then you need Inavix... Navionics doesn't accept nmea data over wifi yet.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:32   #3

This would interface with your iPad easily, although expensive:
XB-8000 AIS transponder with built-in WiFi and NMEA 2000 Gateway
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:49   #4

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Another round-about solution would be if you have a newer Garmin chart plotter that supports the wifi connected Helm app. This app lets you view and control your chart plotter screen. Assuming your AIS receiver/transceiver is interfaced with your chart plotter.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 09:05   #5

Boat: Catalina 310

I like the idea of AIS but $800 seems a bit stiff. That's a big chunk out of the cruising budget.

For most of your busy shipping areas, iNavx can give you AIS data if you have a cellular or wifi connection. That's $50 but you aren't sending out a signal. Just receiving other's signals.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK n Smitty View Post
I like the idea of AIS but $800 seems a bit stiff. That's a big chunk out of the cruising budget.

For most of your busy shipping areas, iNavx can give you AIS data if you have a cellular or wifi connection. That's $50 but you aren't sending out a signal. Just receiving other's signals.
Actually you are not even receiving true AIS signals with iNavx. You are only receiving info that base stations relay to the internet. If a base station is down or there is no base station in the area you will not see the signals in that area.

It is not a good idea to rely on internet based AIS for navigation. Ok to play with but that is the extent you should trust this data.

Right now iNavx is showing no AIS signals in Penobscot Bay in Maine. Marinetraffic.com is also an internet based AIS system and that is showing the ferry traffic in Penobscot bay. Lyman-Morese Boatbuilding is acting as a private base station for Marinetraffic.com but not iNavx.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 23-01-2014, 12:49   #7

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Actually you are not even receiving true AIS signals with iNavx. You are only receiving info that base stations relay to the internet. If a base station is down or there is no base station in the area you will not see the signals in that area.

It is not a good idea to rely on internet based AIS for navigation. Ok to play with but that is the extent you should trust this data.

Right now iNavx is showing no AIS signals in Penobscot Bay in Maine. Marinetraffic.com is also an internet based AIS system and that is showing the ferry traffic in Penobscot bay. Lyman-Morese Boatbuilding is acting as a private base station for Marinetraffic.com but not iNavx.
Very true.

Like I said before, I like the idea of AIS. Unfortunately it's not in my cruising budget. I also don't consider it essential cruising gear but that is a very personal decision based on where and how we will be cruising.
Old 23-01-2014, 15:21   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercisco View Post
Hello All iPad experts. I have marine traffic, an internet based ais system but now plan to purchase a VHF version. My question is, will an NMEA 0183 or 2000 ais system integrate with an iPad using the Navionics app?
Thanks

Not sure where you're going with this, but...

VHF AIS is not a "version" of AIS, and MarineTraffic.com is not an Internet "version" of VHF AIS...

If you don't understand the difference, several folks here can wax philosophic about it...

-Chris
Old 23-01-2014, 18:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For real world navigation I recommend having your own AIS receiver aboard..

Digital Yacht iAIS
Old 24-01-2014, 08:29   #10

Didnt see any prices on this, do you have an approximate cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSNavX View Post
For real world navigation I recommend having your own AIS receiver aboard..

Digital Yacht iAIS
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 08:33   #11

AIS is cool for sure but many of us have been crossing oceans for many years and never had it. If I was tight on a budget it would not be near the top of my list.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 08:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
AIS is cool for sure but many of us have been crossing oceans for many years and never had it. If I was tight on a budget it would not be near the top of my list.
Agreed but for a few hundred for a transceiver you can be that much safer. Just another tool. It does not replace radar, it does not replace a proper watch but it can let you see ships electronically before you see them visually. And the combination of radar and AIS will let you see a ship and then hail them by name to exchange intentions. I have done this many time in the fog/dark here in Maine. Very useful when a commercial boat, super yacht or Ferry hails you to talk about how you will pass.

You could take your example to the extreme and say we have been crossing oceans for hundreds of years without any electronic aids. True but we are safer now with the proper use of today's electronics.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 25-01-2014, 01:33   #13

Boat: Ross 780

Have a look at my NTWB1 NMEA to WiFi Bridges which are reasonably priced. I can configure them for 38400 baud for AIS use before shipping so don't be put off by the 4800 baud rate in my documentation.

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 03:47   #14

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

There was a thread on the Practical Boat Owner forum recently on similar topic. One user decided to take a chance on a cheap chinese ebay serial to wifi converter and overcame the slightly iffy manual to achieve the desired result. The cost (< EUR 60) is comparable to or less than the homebrew raspberry pi based solution, without some of the hassle (but also without some of the flexibility).

Obviously such a solution also requires an AIS receiver with serial output, but there seems to be more choice than with wifi-enabled units (some less than EUR 150).

If going for super-cheap AIS sources, maybe take a look at software defined radios. Search for "ais sdr". Plugged into a small computer with a wifi dongle capable of master mode you could probably build yourself a decent wireless ais system with networking capabilities far superior to those of some of the commercial systems which occasionally look as though the network programming has been done by donkeys.

I haven't personally tried the SDR route as, reportedly, the signal processing software is a bit of a challenge for my little pi.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Ipad