Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 19:00   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 36' ketch
Re: AIS shows many long distance targets

AIS use channels 81 and 82 (I think) of the VHF system, which are not allowed to be received by normal VHF radios, but certainly are where repeaters are involved.
I used to volunteer with the Queensland Coast Guard up until 2007 and I knew that they were linking all repeaters along the QLD coast for security and safety reasons (A good idea)
You can limit the the range of your targets in OpenCPN by going to Ships, AIS targets and ticking boxes as required in AIS calculation and setting the number of Nm
hope that helps
Mishiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 21:03   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So, what happens w hen a rx that is within range of both the ship and the repeater get two identical but time separated messages? Does that cause confusion in the rx data processing? I have little knowledge of how the rx "parses" all the incoming data, but that seems like it could cause trouble.

Jim
AIS data included a time stamp. I would assume that the software uses the timestamp, not the time of receipt for processing and is smart enough to handle two transmissions with the same MMSI and timestamp.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 21:07   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishiwa View Post
AIS use channels 81 and 82 (I think) of the VHF system, which are not allowed to be received by normal VHF radios, but certainly are where repeaters are involved.
AIS uses the high side of the duplex from two VHF radio "channels" 87B and 88B
Old 01-11-2016, 21:10   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
AIS data included a time stamp. I would assume that the software uses the timestamp, not the time of receipt for processing and is smart enough to handle two transmissions with the same MMSI and timestamp.
Makes sense! It has to be pretty sophisticated to deal with the timing issues in crowded areas, with or without repeaters.

Jim
Old 01-11-2016, 21:52   #35

I have never seen a target more then 50 miles away or so...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:02   #36

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

There are certainly no AIS repeaters in Queensland or NSW. I am not sure that they even exist, as most of the links on this topic are really referring to a private network of AIS receivers that feed to a central base.

What happens in NSW is that like above, Marine Rescue NSW has linked all its AIS receivers together and these feed into its own internal network as well as into some internet AIS sites. I have yet to find any internet site that has available the raw AIS data to feed into my OpenCPN. In NSW MR (of which I am a volunteer radio operator), we pull it into OpenCPN for viewing.

I have also seen AIS targets at tremendous distances, sometimes over 2000 nm.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:29   #37
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
There are certainly no AIS repeaters in Queensland or NSW. I am not sure that they even exist, .
They do exist, for example the galapagos has a network of solar powered repeaters to keep an eye on illegal fishing within the marine reserve.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:59   #38

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Another one here...

The AIS Shore Station is also available as a Repeater Station, which is an ideal gap-filler at remote and isolated locations.

AIS Basic Repeater
The dual antenna configuration allows the Repeater Station to receive and transmit on directional antennas. This greatly improves coverage and distance in an AIS network.
Thank you for that, I learn something every day or at least try to.

Handy to have in places like Angostura Inglesa where the Admiralty 'South America Pilot Vol II' states ' vessels being bound in opposite directions , being unable to see each other, may meet in a critical part of the narrows......when abreast Punta Maude.. sound a blast..... warships should fire a gun....'
Old 02-11-2016, 07:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
They do exist, for example the galapagos has a network of solar powered repeaters to keep an eye on illegal fishing within the marine reserve.
I can't see that being very effective. Were I an illegal fisherman I would just turn off my AIS. Now they can't keep an eye on me.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17   #40

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Some AIS msgs contain a timestamp, many do not.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:19   #41

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Interesting.

I can see how they re-transmit the information to a control centre on a different frequency but I don't see anything there suggesting that the signals are re-transmitted on the same frequency in such a manner that other ships can receive the info on their AIS tx/rxs..
AIS reserves a slot (window to transmit to avoid data collisions)

Class A
Vessel-mounted AIS transceiver (transmit and receive) which operates using SOTDMA. Targeted at large commercial vessels, SOTDMA requires a transceiver to maintain a constantly updated slot map in its memory such that it has prior knowledge of slots which are available for it to transmit. SOTDMA transceivers will then pre-announce their transmission, effectively reserving their transmit slot. SOTDMA transmissions are therefore prioritised within the AIS system. This is achieved through 2 receivers in continuous operation. Class A's must have an integrated display, transmit at 12.5 W, interface capability with multiple ship systems, and offer a sophisticated selection of features and functions. Default transmit rate is every few seconds. AIS Class A type compliant devices receive all types of AIS messages.

Class B
Vessel-mounted AIS transceiver (transmit and receive) which operates using either carrier-sense time-division multiple-access (CSTDMA) or SOTDMA; there are now 2 separate IMO specifications for Class B. Aimed at lighter commercial and leisure markets. CSTDMA transceivers listen to the slot map immediately prior to transmitting and seek a slot where the 'noise' in the slot is the same or similar to background noise, thereby indicating that the slot is not being used by another AIS device. Class Bs transmit at 2 W and are not required to have an integrated display: Class Bs can be connected to most display systems where the received messages will be displayed in lists or overlaid on charts. Default transmit rate is normally every 30 seconds, but this can be varied according to vessel speed or instructions from base stations. The Class B type standard requires integrated GPS and certain LED indicators. Class B equipment receives all types of AIS messages.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:26   #42

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Detailed description: Class A units
Each AIS transceiver consists of one VHF transmitter, two VHF TDMA receivers, one VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) receiver, and links to shipboard display and sensor systems via standard marine electronic communications (such as NMEA 0183, also known as IEC 61162). Timing is vital to the proper synchronization and slot mapping (transmission scheduling) for a Class A unit. Therefore, every unit is required to have an internal time base, synchronized to a global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) receiver.[24] This internal receiver may also be used for position information. However, position is typically provided by an external receiver such as GPS, LORAN-C or an inertial navigation system and the internal receiver is only used as a backup for position information. Other information broadcast by the AIS, if available, is electronically obtained from shipboard equipment through standard marine data connections. Heading information, position (latitude and longitude), "speed over ground", and rate of turn are normally provided by all ships equipped with AIS. Other information, such as destination, and ETA may also be provided.

An AIS transceiver normally works in an autonomous and continuous mode, regardless of whether it is operating in the open seas or coastal or inland areas. AIS transceivers use two different frequencies, VHF maritime channels 87B (161.975 MHz) and 88B (162.025 MHz), and use 9.6 kbit/s(Note, 9600bit/s isn't the same as 9600Baud. I am fairly sure that AIS uses 9600Baud) Gaussian minimum shift keying (GMSK) modulation over 25 kHz channels using the High-level Data Link Control (HDLC) packet protocol. Although only one radio channel is necessary, each station transmits and receives over two radio channels to avoid interference problems, and to allow channels to be shifted without communications loss from other ships. The system provides for automatic contention resolution between itself and other stations, and communications integrity is maintained even in overload situations.

In order to ensure that the VHF transmissions of different transceivers do not occur at the same time, the signals are time multiplexed using a technology called Self-Organized Time Division Multiple Access (SOTDMA). The design of this technology is patented, and whether this patent has been waived for use by SOLAS vessels is a matter of debate between the manufacturers of AIS systems and the patent holder, Håkan Lans. Moreover, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) canceled all claims in the original patent on March 30, 2010.

In order to make the most efficient use of the bandwidth available, vessels that are anchored or moving slowly transmit less frequently than those that are moving faster or are maneuvering. The update rate ranges from 3 minutes for anchored or moored vessels, to 2 seconds for fast moving or maneuvering vessels, the latter being similar to that of conventional marine radar.

Each AIS station determines its own transmission schedule (slot), based upon data link traffic history and an awareness of probable future actions by other stations. A position report from one station fits into one of 2,250 time slots established every 60 seconds on each frequency. AIS stations continuously synchronize themselves to each other, to avoid overlap of slot transmissions. Slot selection by an AIS station is randomized within a defined interval and tagged with a random timeout of between 4 and 8 minutes. When a station changes its slot assignment, it announces both the new location and the timeout for that location. In this way new stations, including those stations which suddenly come within radio range close to other vessels, will always be received by those vessels.

The required ship reporting capacity according to the IMO performance standard is a minimum of 2,000 time slots per minute, though the system provides 4,500 time slots per minute. The SOTDMA broadcast mode allows the system to be overloaded by 400 to 500% through sharing of slots, and still provides nearly 100% throughput for ships closer than 8 to 10 nmi to each other in a ship to ship mode. In the event of system overload, only targets further away will be subject to drop-out, in order to give preference to nearer targets, which are of greater concern to ship operators. In practice, the capacity of the system is nearly unlimited, allowing for a great number of ships to be accommodated at the same time.

The system coverage range is similar to other VHF applications. The range of any VHF radio is determined by multiple factors, the primary factors are: the height and quality of the transmitting antenna and the height and quality of the receiving antenna. Its propagation is better than that of radar, due to the longer wavelength, so it is possible to reach around bends and behind islands if the land masses are not too high. The look-ahead distance at sea is nominally 20 nmi (37 km). With the help of repeater stations, the coverage for both ship and VTS stations can be improved considerably. **** This is Simplex because of time slot CDMA****

The system is backward compatible with digital selective calling systems, allowing shore-based GMDSS systems to inexpensively establish AIS operating channels and identify and track AIS-equipped vessels, and is intended to fully replace existing DSC-based transceiver systems.[citation needed]

Shore-based AIS network systems are now being built up around the world. One of the biggest fully operational, real time systems with full routing capability is in China. This system was built between 2003 and 2007 and was delivered by Saab TranceiverTech.[citation needed] The entire Chinese coastline is covered with approximately 250 base stations in hot-standby configurations including seventy computer servers in three main regions. Hundreds of shore based users, including about twenty-five vessel traffic service (VTS) centers, are connected to the network and are able to see the maritime picture, and can also communicate with each ship using SRM's (Safety Related Messages). All data are in real time. The system was designed to improve the safety and security of ships and port facilities. It is also designed according to an SOA architecture with socket based connection and using IEC AIS standardized protocol all the way to the VTS users. The base stations have hot-standby units (IEC 62320-1) and the network is the third generation network solution.

By the beginning of 2007, a new worldwide standard for AIS base stations was approved, the IEC 62320-1 standard. The old IALA recommendation and the new IEC 62320-1 standard are in some functions incompatible, and therefore attached network solutions have to be upgraded. This will not affect users, but system builders need to upgrade software to accommodate the new standard. A standard for AIS base stations has been long-awaited. Currently ad-hoc networks exist with class A mobiles. Base stations can control the AIS message traffic in a region, which will hopefully reduce the number of packet collisions.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:34   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For most message types the timestamp only gives the nearest second. This would probably not be sufficient to disambiguate repeated transmissions, and I am not aware of any receiving software that could use this timestamp for that purpose.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 15:21   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Some AIS msgs contain a timestamp, many do not.
OK: All AIS position report messages contain a timestamp.

(And, as an additional relevant point to this discussion, a "Repeat Indicator" which says tells how many times the message has been repeated)
Old 02-11-2016, 15:28   #45

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
OK: All AIS position report messages contain a timestamp.

(And, as an additional relevant point to this discussion, a "Repeat Indicator" which says tells how many times the message has been repeated)
Yes, but the relevant point I was responding to was that the timestamp is not used to distinguish multiple sent msgs. With the repeating, at various frequencies, stream of data it doesn't matter if one exact msg gets repeated.

Think of how that would look on your chart plotter. It just shows the latest received data.

Tags
ais