Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 16:06   #61

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: AIS recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleathem View Post
I bought and installed that one last year and I’m quite happy with it so far. I decided not to use a VHF splitter, and installed a dedicated AIS antenna on a mast that also holds the Matsutec GPS antenna. I quickly learned to dislike the display, and opted for a Digital Yacht smart wifi server. I’m now able to see the AIS overlay on Navionics, and as a side benefit, it allows me to use my non-GPS equipped IPad with Navionics as well as a backup, using the Matsutec generated NMEA data and wifi.

Of course there’s lots of Valid options and opinions out there, but I’m happy with what I chose.

Neat solution.

I agree, the display is not great, I treat mine mainly as a backup should my ageing plotter go phht at a bad moment.

But I do like the display that reads simply range and bearing to waypoint. It is clear, concise and VERY helpful if you drag anchor on the middle of the night, as I found from recent experience.

Waking up to the anchor alarm, I was able to see instantly just how far I’d dragged and where, and plan my response appropriately even though I was still half asleep.
Old 14-09-2020, 17:41   #62

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

The genuine Matsutec HP-33A AIS transponder, actually has the name 'Matsutec' embossed on the case and has a more or less square case. Comes with a manual about 1/2" thick. This is the genuine one.

The other one, "version HP-528A" is a faked copy of the original .
Those Chinese online sellers call it "Matsutec" , BUT that name is NOT even on the case AND is NOT anywhere to be found in the much smaller manual.
I have both versions on board. Both work.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 21:25   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
The genuine Matsutec HP-33A AIS transponder, actually has the name 'Matsutec' embossed on the case and has a more or less square case. Comes with a manual about 1/2" thick. This is the genuine one.

The other one, "version HP-528A" is a faked copy of the original .

Those Chinese online sellers call it "Matsutec" , BUT that name is NOT even on the case AND is NOT anywhere to be found in the much smaller manual.

I have both versions on board. Both work.

I’ve got the 33 and I’m waiting on my 528 now. I’m glad to hear you’ve found both work ok.

I get the impression from the screen shots that the software is pretty much the same on each. Is that what you’ve found?
Old 15-09-2020, 01:39   #64

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Yes the software is near identical, but the hardware is not: Like there is no decent external alarm connection. You need to put a transistor switch in between , if your buzzer draws more than 0.1mA .
They are just saving a couple of cents per unit, typical Chinese..
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 03:00   #65

BUY AMERICAN
dpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 03:12   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreacher View Post
BUY AMERICAN
That's what I love. A well constructed argument.

In capital letters too, so it helps with any reading/eyesight issues.
Old 15-09-2020, 03:18   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Yes the software is near identical, but the hardware is not: Like there is no decent external alarm connection. You need to put a transistor switch in between , if your buzzer draws more than 0.1mA .
They are just saving a couple of cents per unit, typical Chinese..
Ah yes, I remember you posting a question about it. Sorry, I was one of the ones that got the wrong end of the stick and thought it was about the 33A.

I have not tried interfacing any alarms to the 33A yet because it is loud enough to wake me, even in the aft cabin. (And oh boy, do you wake up awful fast when the anchor watch alarm goes off at 2 am. Of course, getting the brain to function is a whole other issue at 2 am.)

But thank you for the heads up on the power limit.

As for the typical Chinese thing... yeah... sure, but then we have freedom of choice. We COULD buy the Vesper, wherever it is made. But we chose the Matsutec (or the rip-off). Either because we were budget constrained or we love cheap Chinese stuff. At least we have a CHOICE.

For me, I am grateful for the choice because my budget would not stretch to the Vesper. I accept the limitations and am glad that I have the technical skills to circumvent some of the issues.
Old 17-09-2020, 02:30   #68

Boat: Grainger, G37ii, 40ft / 12m

I am a newbie to the yachting AIS world but I am a long term IT geek and my research over recent years points to Vesper. And posts here include quality & safety over price which is a fundamental strategy of all parts of my life.
Basically - do it once, do it right. Maintenance and issues might be lacking from a total cost of ownership perspective when purchasing occurs.
Christmas Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 11:34   #69

Boat: a sailing boat

My friends here had the Matsutec 33A on their rtw. It worked flawlessly.

Of course my friends are not Americains and so they did not have the FCC problem.

I have seen the unit. I did not note any quality issues there. Probably the same factory that churns out Furuno, ICOM or Ray. regular plastic casing, standard connectors, etc. Not at all sub to any other brand.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:22   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Well... SOTDMA and more power for class-B+ !

I believe smartphone like from Apple and Samsung use Gorillaglass and are the sturdiest ones out there. I don’t see how Vesper can improve on those. Would you toss your iPhone around in the cockpit during a storm? The controls it has, with the rotating ring... I had all that in other gadgets and they all worn out and failed.
Did you even watch his video with them dropping metal balls on it, pushing its buttons with machines forever and putting it in water. Literally under water. I don't think it compares with iphone or Samsung in the durability category, I wouldn't do that to my Samsung Note.
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:58   #71

Boat: Norseman 447

Yes, I watched raw video. It reminded me of the 50-year-old Timex commercials. "It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'." But Timex did it on live TV and it didn’t always work. To me, that means it will take some time before we or they know ho the hanset will hold up. Drop a ball bearing on the front of an iPhone and it will probably survive. Sit on it, or drop it so the edge of the phone strikes a sharp edge? Not so. Handset is "waterproof." I haven’t seen how they charge it yet. Anything that can open can leak. If you can’t change batteries, then you need a spare hanset. Or maybe you need one anyway. Buttons can be made waterproof, but it’s not cheap and easy. Rotating dials, easy if you use more expensive technology. Things don’t have to be heavy and clunky to be durable. I’m waiting to see how it all works in the real world. But I’m hopeful..
"
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:34   #72

I think the original question was about a transceiver.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:23   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That's what I love. A well constructed argument.

In capital letters too, so it helps with any reading/eyesight issues.
I'd be curious exactly which AIS transceiver "BUY AMERCIAN" screamers would recommend.

I'm not seeing any that are built in the USA.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:42   #74

Unfortunate that transceivers aren't built in the US. Wouldn't buy anything cheap if I can find better quality. And, if I can find a US-made item, that will be the first one I look at. So yeah - BUY AMERICAN or at least not cheap Chinese.
dpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12   #75

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a SH radio. Built in Japan. Echo built in UK. MPPT controller built in China. also all Garmins are built in China.

All pieces work as well.

I would never go the route of buying our stuff according to the country of manufacturing.

Matsutec is not 'cheap Chinese' product. People who claim so have never had a Matsutec unit.

Matsutec looks and feels like Furuno. I am in fact near sure it is a Furuno in and out. The same mold, the same hardware, the same software, etc.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, men