Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 17:00   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: AIS Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
I did this a while back to an Icom M502 for monitoring of AIS in my shop and uploading to Marinetraffic.com I'm a service tech so it was no sweat for me. You just have to tap the audio before the audio filtering circuitry in the radio. It worked pretty well but if you do this to your boats VHF, you can't use it for anything else at the same time. You have to leave it on the AIS channel.

Eric
Thats not a problem for me as I think I've used my radio only twice this year and if I'm right the dual channel watch still works. Am I right or will this not work?
Old 01-10-2012, 17:52   #17

I have the matrix and cheapo garmin. Works like a champ.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 21:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have connected the Matrix output to a computer. Take the NMEA out and the ground from the Matrix and connect them to a Serial/USB adaptor. The NMEA out isn't true balanced NMEA, instead the radio has an output wire and a ground, with the ground being shared by the GPS input signal. The GPS input must be 4800 bits/second, and the AIS output is 38400 bits/second.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:32   #19

Boat: boat less ATM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Mate, I have the sh matrix, hooked up to my raymarine a50 chart plotter, a great radio, shows the ais targets on the plotter, speed, heading, safety zone, wonderful.
Hi Keith
I also have the Standard Horizon 2150 VHF / AIS and Raymarine E10 chart plotter. I can get the plotter downloading to the radio for GPS position BUT cannot get the radio uploading ships' positions to the plotter. The plotter reports that there is no AIS attached. What baud rates do you use. I have spent hours reading the manual and trying different rates but no success.
Advice would be appreciated.

I guess I could email SH & Raymarine for advice.

Presently in Bali so no tech advice here.
paul
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:20   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
Hi Keith
I also have the Standard Horizon 2150 VHF / AIS and Raymarine E10 chart plotter. I can get the plotter downloading to the radio for GPS position BUT cannot get the radio uploading ships' positions to the plotter. The plotter reports that there is no AIS attached. What baud rates do you use. I have spent hours reading the manual and trying different rates but no success.
Advice would be appreciated.

I guess I could email SH & Raymarine for advice.

Presently in Bali so no tech advice here.
paul
See

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Then download the pdf file which explains the updates in the 2150 compared to the 2100. There is a diagram there showing baud rates for plotters with only one NMEA port.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 23:32   #21

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Hi Paul, how is Benoa harbour?

Paul, I had trouble as well, finally, dis-connected all the feeds into the a50 from nmea devices and just hooked up the sh via the nmea prot 1, set the baud rate at 38400 and it worked. a50 communicates with the auto pilot via the raymarine bus, ng network.

Keith,

from yaseu, re sh radio....

We don’t have any real information on those plotters. I don’t personally know someone who has an A50 running with our products. At some point we must have assisted a customer with a plotter that has the same connections as the A50, which is why it appears on that bulletin.

If you are sending high speed data to the radio and the radio is also setup for high speed (38400), try using the Gray wire instead of the Brown. The Brown always has AIS data on it, but when the radio is set to high speed, AIS will also go out on the Brown wire. There are no known issues with the radios sending AIS data and there are many running correctly to numerous different devices. The data level leaving the radio is high speed but the level of signal is actually quite small, about .3 mV. This is normal for high speed.

Best regards,

Juan Hernandez

Technical Support

j.hernandez@yaesu.com

I have config the gx2150 to 38400 bps
I have config the a50 to output 38400 bps
I have cofig the a50 to show ais overlays,
I have disconnected all other instruments from nmea ports.

Only way I could get it to work?
Old 13-10-2012, 08:00   #22

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
OK, still trying to find someone who has ACTUALLY connected their Matrix to their laptop. I've been chatting with Standard Horizon techs for days now and they say they only have experience with customers connecting the unit to a commercial chart plotter.

This looks like it could work. Can anyone tell me what they used?

Digital Yacht NMEA Adapter f/PC

CHEERS!
That's the same adapter I use to connect to my pc running OpenCPN. Works great. We just recently installed electronics on our boat. When we hooked up the radar we couldn't leave it alone it was such a cool toy. But a few weeks later when I got the AIS up the radar was forgotten.

The Matrix is very easy to set up. No splitters and just a couple wires on the adapter. Load the driver and plug it in. Make sure OpenCPN knows which com port it's using. I got ours up and running the day before crossing the Singapore Straights. Can't imagine doing that without AIS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ais3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	48196  

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 02:32   #23

I have recently bought a Standard Horizon 2100 and I am using OpenCPN and a PC as a chart plotter. It works beautifully. I feed the PC and the radio with GPS-signals from a simple handheld Garmin and the PC with AIS-signals from the radio. I have bought a 2xRS232 to USB converter, and hence I only need one USB-port. It really works as 2 different serial ports with one set to 4800 bps (for GPS) and the other to 38400 bps (for AIS).

Eivind
eivindch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:18   #24

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

OK... UPDATE:

I just got an afternoon free to work on all of this and have it all up and running. Here's the skinny:

I bought the Standard Horizon Matrix 2100 from ebay NEW for $218 w/ free shipping. Less than the price of a separate AIS receiver and splitter and far less work... plus got a fancier new VHF than I had previously.

When I got back to the boat, I installed the new SH radio (my old VHF antenna and power cables plugged right in) and began using it as a VHF, but didn't have time to hook up the GPS straight away... so upon reading an earlier post about the alarm, I DIDN'T input the MMSI number (we're an Australian boat anyway so we don't have FCC/USCG MMSI numbers).

This meant that we got a single reminder upon first turning on the radio that DSC won't work until I enter an MMSI number but it went away after keying the OK button and was FAR less annoying than the earsplitting alarm mentioned earlier if the number was entered but the GPS not wired up.

After a while I got time to play with wiring up the GPS. I used an old black and white hand-held that I inherited with the boat, but could have used a puck style for $25 on ebay. I used a simple 4 pin cable that plugged into the back of the GPS (was already with the unit) and connected the bitter end wires to power (so I didn't have to keep replacing batteries) and used the NMEA output wires to connect to the Matrix 2100. It worked instantly.

After another week I got around to hooking up the AIS signal to my laptop running OpenCPN. I had bought a NEW serial to USB adapter on ebay for $3.5 with free shipping (how do they do that?!) and then found and old serial cable that I had laying around and cut the end off so I had bare wires. I used only 2 wires which I found using an ohm meter and a diagram I found using google, they were the common ground and positive-receive pins.

I then plugged in the serial cable into my netbook (which I bought on ebay for $100 for this very purpose), installed the serial->USB driver, rebooted, started OpenCPN, chose the correct COM port using the AIS tab in the OpenCPN tool pane and bingo... it all worked perfectly.

Note: I am also using a puck style GPS with OpenCPN for my own ships position, so technically I am running 2 GPSs.

Total cost for fully functioning chart plotter/GPS with AIS overlay... which as a netbook also has a 500GB hard drive which is filled with movies and music and of course can connect to any WiFi signal for email and internet access along the way of our journey:

Netbook: $100
Standard Horizon Matrix 2100: $218
Puck USB GPS: $25
Serial->USB adapter: $3.50
(all other cables or components were outdated, free and laying around)

TOTAL: $346.50 (and I got a new VFH radio thrown in).
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:26   #25

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I'd like to add here my utmost thanks to the team who has put in countless hours developing OpenCPN, without which I could not have made this setup possible for so little money.

I commend you. As a youngin sailing on a budget... I think you're awesome.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:33   #26

OMG What a horror story.
Nothing went wrong.

Good work.
Outwest34au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:56   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

By the way you can get a free Australian MMSI FROM AMSA
http://www.amsa.gov.au/forms/amsa89.pdf

then you can use the DSC on the VHF which means you can organsie going to the pub with other boats without the whole anchorage knowing

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:09   #28

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Mate, my MMSI, from aussie works great on the USA SH radio, same as yours?
Keith.
Old 05-01-2013, 20:20   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Any 9 digit number will work as a MMSI when programmed into a VHF. It's just that you can't change it ever again.

So before I had a MMSI I had an old VHF and put in 111111111 as the number. It was fine to ring other boats on DSC.

So yes an Australian MMSI works on USA equipment... As I have bought and programmed it in.

It will be the same number for your EPIRB, VHF, AIS and more so its good to get.... And it's free. You don't need to even have a boat just say on the form you are buying DSC VHF or AIS.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
OMG What a horror story.
Nothing went wrong.

Good work.
Lol