Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 19:49   #1

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
AIS Info

I have searched the threads but could use some "local" info.

Anyone try hooking up a SR161 AIS reciever with a C series Raymarine unit (C120)? It is not on the Recomended 3rd party recomended list from Ray but it is very inexpensive. Any one do this?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 19:54   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
It will work with the C series but suggest you call Milltech Marine with any questions. Don't call Raymarine. Here is some info

Milltech Marine AIS Chart Plotter Reference

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 20:29   #3

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Thanks Chuck, I checked out the site and it looks like a go.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
There's no technical reason why it won't work, however there's one thing to be aware of with the C-Series - It's only got one NMEA input, and once you set it to 38400bps for AIS, that will also force the NMEA output to the same speed.

So, if you rely on regular 4800bps NMEA input or output to your C-Series you'll have an issue here, but there's an easy solution - the Brookhouse AIS-C NMEA multiplexer. I picked up one of these and integrated my Garmin GPS(s), AutoHelm AutoPilot, on-board PC, and C-Series together. Very happy with the product and you can customize the thing many different ways, upload custom filtering scripts, and so on.

I have no relationship with Brookhouse, I'm just an extremely happy customer of their product and passing it along if it helps with needing to integrate things together.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 20:00   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
There's no technical reason why it won't work, however there's one thing to be aware of with the C-Series - It's only got one NMEA input, and once you set it to 38400bps for AIS, that will also force the NMEA output to the same speed.

So, if you rely on regular 4800bps NMEA input or output to your C-Series you'll have an issue here, but there's an easy solution - the Brookhouse AIS-C NMEA multiplexer. I picked up one of these and integrated my Garmin GPS(s), AutoHelm AutoPilot, on-board PC, and C-Series together. Very happy with the product and you can customize the thing many different ways, upload custom filtering scripts, and so on.

I have no relationship with Brookhouse, I'm just an extremely happy customer of their product and passing it along if it helps with needing to integrate things together.
Another option is to use Raymarine Seatalk/NMEA adaptor E85001. This allows 4800 baud NMEA in/out & PC hook up via Seatalk connector on C series.

Richard
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 15:32   #6

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
The diagram is misleading,as it shows the pin 2 wire(AIS out) as white when in reality it is brown.I am currently installing 161 into my C80 plotter smartpilot module NMEA input.I checked with Milltech,correct me if Im wrong?Am I also correct in thinking I can splice second cable(brown+2,yellow-5 AIS output wire,at module NMEA input terminal port) into laptop VGA port,as in diagram.?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 17:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
The diagram is misleading,as it shows the pin 2 wire(AIS out) as white when in reality it is brown.I am currently installing 161 into my C80 plotter smartpilot module NMEA input.I checked with Milltech,correct me if Im wrong?Am I also correct in thinking I can splice second cable(brown+2,yellow-5 AIS output wire,at module NMEA input terminal port) into laptop VGA port,as in diagram.?
I think the wire colours differ because Milltech refer to their own breakout cable & the one supplied with the SR161. Basically you need to connect it's NMEA output to the C80 NMEA input. If you want to cut the lead you get with the SR161 the output should be on brown (2) NMEA+ & yellow (5) NMEA-. Suggest using one of those screw down terminal blocks to connect the C80 NMEA lead. Don't splice them - you will see why later. On the C80 lead the wires you are interested in are White NMEA+ input & Green NMEA- (common to both input & output). Connect them like for like with the SR161 output lead.

If you want to feed the AIS signal to a laptop as well it will need a COM port (VGA port will definately not work). Most laptops don't have these built in, but a USB to COM port adaptor available from most computer stores will solve that. Just hook up another lead from the connector block feeding your C80 to the DB9 connector on your COM port - you could use the other end of the SR161 lead you cut if its long enough. I assume you have an application on your laptop that will display AIS data. Make sure that input to it is set to the COM port number that the adaptor gives you (check with Device Manager/Ports (COM & LPT) if not sure) & that baud rate is set to 38400. Likewise your C80 NMEA needs to be set to AIS data 38400 (Menu/System Setup/System Integration/NMEA port setting).

Regards - Richard
Old 05-11-2008, 18:55   #8

If I have the Smartpilot controller connected to Ray C80 plotter,can I not bother with C80 lead connection to plotter and just connect 2 and 5 out from 161 ,to NMEA input +&- on controller module ,then a second cable from there to COM port on laptop?That is what I was led to believe where I bought the 161 and the C80.My electronic knowledge is lacking but Im learning fast,thanks for your patience.(I think I meant COM port)Thanks again ;Geoff
Old 05-11-2008, 19:11   #9

The SmartPilot is an autopilot module. I doubt if it has the ability or need to accept 38400 baud NMEA required for AIS data. I am guessing that the NMEA input is regular 4800 baud for third party devices (wind vane etc). If it specifically says it accepts AIS info & forwards it to the C80 then fine, otherwise hook up directly to C80 as already explained. Cable runs aside it's the same amount of work.

FYI I attach a picture of the COMS/NAV setup on my boat.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	5785  
Old 05-11-2008, 19:53   #10

I like pictures,now I know what Im working towards,Not sure about input forwarding capability,manual says baud can be adjusted on C80.Thought thats what I was told ,will check tomorrow.sales people arent much help,and because not Raymarine AIS,no help there.thanks;Geoff
Old 05-11-2008, 20:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
I like pictures,now I know what Im working towards,Not sure about input forwarding capability,manual says baud can be adjusted on C80.Thought thats what I was told ,will check tomorrow.sales people arent much help,and because not Raymarine AIS,no help there.thanks;Geoff
Yes baud rate can & does need to be adjusted on C80 but for NMEA connection on that unit. Not sure why you seem to be averse to connecting to it.

Agree with you about Raymarine support - a complete waste of time.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 05-11-2008, 22:58   #12

I think I was under impression it would connect direct through Smartpilot NMEA input.After reviewing info. I will get C80 plotter NMEA cable to connect through block to AIS ,as you say I should.Thanks

Tags
ais