Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2021, 07:30   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
AIS: em-trak vs Digital Yacht?

Hi forum,

I'm in the market for an AIS transceiver. Both the em-trak B954 and the DY AIT5000 check all the boxes on my requirements list of technical features. They cost about the same. To decide, I'm wondering how they compare besides the feature checkboxes.

I'm looking for your experience with either manufacturer's products in terms of equipment reliability and manufacturer service; and if you have experience with both manufacturers, even a comparison between them with regards to these terms.

Much appreciated. Thanks! Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:09   #2

Re: AIS: em-trak vs Digital Yacht?

Can not say anything about em-trak, but I installed a Digital Yacht AIT5000 N2K about a month ago and am very happy with it so far. Interfaces with my Garmin MFD with no issues.

The Unit has a USB connection and free PC software so you can verify GPS reception is good before you permanently install it. The unit needs to be installed so that the internal GPS antenna can see the satellites.

Thanks,
Mike
manteomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 16:41   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I have the AIT2000, the Class B version made by YD. I've had it 3 years but used it only lightly. I've only used it for fairly short passages, the longest being about 17 hours. It worked great. I have it feeding into my N2K network and can display AIS data from various connected devices (e.g. chart plotter/radar, OpenCPN (Mac), iNavX on iPad).

However, I have found on some occasions I power it up and it does not see any targets, even after 4 or 5 minutes (normally I see data coming from the AIS within 20 or 30 seconds) - when this happens I power it down, wait 15 seconds and turn it on again, and that gets it going - I don't know if it is my fault (could it be a voltage drop since the N2K network, instruments, AIS, are all powered from the same circuit). I need to check this before I contact YD, so I have not asked them for support (yet) and cannot say how they are about this kind of thing.

The installation was straightforward. The USB config app is easy to use.

And now I am lusting after the B+ for the higher transmit power. I am not certain how far out I can be seen in the real world at 2w Class B, but I have read it is only 5-7nm, compared to 10-12nm at 5w with B+. I am not sure if SODTMA also means that B+ gets higher priority for slots, but this does not concern me much because the places I am most wanting to be seen, there will not be a lot of other boats around!

The only thing with the 5000 I don't like, for me, is the apparent kitchen-sink approach - I don't need a VHF splitter or an FM radio antenna splitter, or another N2K WiFi access point (I prefer to minimize integrated features and use separate devices to minimize the cost of failures/repairs/replacements). Plus I don't know enough about radio to know for sure, but it seems hard to believe that any splitter is ever going to be as good as a separate antenna.

For me anyway, the AIT2500 looks like the B+ upgrade path from the AIT2000 I have now - appears to be the same dimensions.

I plan to contact their support soon about the startup issue and will find out if they are responsive and helpful. Maybe I can talk them into a discount for the B+ version upgrade.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 16:52   #4

the em tracks I have used have internal gps antennas and have to be mounted with a pretty clear sky access (ie diretly though a single peice of fiberglass)

I would recommend getting an optional ext gps antenna for it if you burry it somewhere.

even if you mount the external ant directly beside the ais the signal goes way up. the external does not need to be mounted outside.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 17:03   #5

I have zero experience with DY, so can't speak to their product. But I have owned several Em-Trak products and they are excellent. Em-Trak is the house brand for SRT, and SRT makes the AIS devices for virtually all of the industry. Many OEM products are just relabeled SRT products
Old 20-12-2021, 00:43   #6

Thanks all for your feedback.

It seems that both products would be a good choice. I guess I'll go with whatever is available when I'll order it. Leaning towards the em-trak at the moment.

Thanks! Dirk
Old 20-12-2021, 04:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 04:41   #8

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

The products sold under the em-trak brand are the house brand products of SRT Marine Systems.

Quote:
SRT Marine Systems plc (SRT) develops and delivers advanced maritime domain awareness technologies, products, and systems, with particular expertise in Automatic Identification Systems (AIS).
https://srt-marine.com/maritime-domain-awareness/

I have purchased em-trak products. Their after-sale support of their products was outstanding.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 04:52   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have an Em Trak AIS transponder with the external antenna. Rather than faff around drilling more holes I thought I would try mounting the antenna next to the switch board in the saloon first. That was a couple of years ago and its still there because it just works. Oh and its mounted on its side because I put it into an existing 1" hole. Will it be moved? nah no point.

Worth pointing out that this is for UK equipment and being a free country we are allowed to programme VHF with MMSI numbers and stuff plus set AIS ourselves. Might be different in the EU.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 05:43   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I actually did a lot of software testing for SRT when they developed their first AIS transceiver. They were easy to work with and very effective in fixing the bugs I found; kept improving the product rapidly into a usable system that I had aboard for 10 years after that.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 06:38   #11

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I have an older em trak unit. Technical support, though somewhat slow in response, was very good. A downside is that em trak does not have any service centers other than in England, and they insist all repairs, even out of warranty, be shipped back to the factory in England. And it was cheaper to buy a new unit than the cost for evaluation and repair.
Old 28-12-2021, 04:35   #12

Thank you all for your input! I've just ordered an em-trak B954 from Milltech Marine. Will let you know what I think of the device once I have some experience with it!

Dirk

Tags
ais, yacht