Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 11:43   #1

Boat: 40', Farr 38
AIS>Chartplotter>VHF radio all working together

Seeking feedback/suggestions for updating my AIS system to one that transmits as well as receives. Currently I’ve a Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF (which only receives AIS) and a YachtDevices NMEA183>NMEA 2000 adapter (YDNG-02) which allows me to output the AIS data to my Garmin Chartplotter. This works perfectly and I’m happy with the radio. I also have a Ram mic $ and amplified external speaker $$ for it in the cockpit. As such, I really do not want to change the radio.

So, I am considering something like a separate AIS transceiver that I could utilize existing Masthead antenna with and connect to the chartplotter. It would be real nice to be able to see a target on the chartplotter and then to be able to hail the boat (without having to enter in the MMSI number) triggered from the Garmin 742 chartplotter.

Has anyone suggestions on how to make this happen?
Has anyone experience with this device and would it work as needed.
Digital Yacht[emoji768] ZDIGAIT1500 - Class B AIS Transceiver

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback!
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: AIS>Chartplotter>VHF radio all working together

I am fitting one of these widgets this weekend, if it stops raining. Supplies AIS over NMEA 2000 with plug and play cable to a chart plotter or NM1830 if you want. Seems well respected in the UK.

https://www.em-trak-uk.com/product-p...00-ais-class-b

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:36   #3

Boat: 40', Farr 38

Hi Pete,

This looks to be a pretty nice unit. It looks to do what I want except for the VHF hail of a vessel part, which as I think about it is probably a limitation of my VHF radio. I bet it would need to be a NMEA 2k radio to be able to have hails triggered by the chart plotter though my chart plotter can output NMEA 183 as well but still probably won't activate a radio hail... I read the manual for your suggested unit as I wondered why I needed the GPS as the chart plotter already has one. It seems that a class B unit requires it's own separate GPS. That will make 3 gps receiving antennas on my boat. Ughhhh.

I hope the rain subsides and you get it installed and operational.
Thank you,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I am fitting one of these widgets this weekend, if it stops raining. Supplies AIS over NMEA 2000 with plug and play cable to a chart plotter or NM1830 if you want. Seems well respected in the UK.

https://www.em-trak-uk.com/product-p...00-ais-class-b

Pete
Capt Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ben View Post
It looks to do what I want except for the VHF hail of a vessel part, which as I think about it is probably a limitation of my VHF radio. I bet it would need to be a NMEA 2k radio to be able to have hails triggered by the chart plotter though my chart plotter can output NMEA 183 as well but still probably won't activate a radio hail...

Actually, I believe it's the other way around. There is no provision in N2K to place a DSC call. Where vendors it over N2K, it's via proprietary messages that only work between their VHF and chart plotters.

NMEA 0183, on the other hand, includes a standardized way to place a DSC call. No making it actually work still depends on all the involved parties supporting the capability, but at least there is a standardized way to do it.
Old 11-10-2019, 17:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a SH VHF, connected to a SH tx/rx AIS, connected to a RayMarine C80. All seems to work together as it should.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 17:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Seeking feedback/suggestions for updating my AIS system to one that transmits as well as receives. Currently I’ve a Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF (which only receives AIS) and a YachtDevices NMEA183>NMEA 2000 adapter (YDNG-02) which allows me to output the AIS data to my Garmin Chartplotter. This works perfectly and I’m happy with the radio. I also have a Ram mic $ and amplified external speaker $$ for it in the cockpit. As such, I really do not want to change the radio.

So, I am considering something like a separate AIS transceiver that I could utilize existing Masthead antenna with and connect to the chartplotter. It would be real nice to be able to see a target on the chartplotter and then to be able to hail the boat (without having to enter in the MMSI number) triggered from the Garmin 742 chartplotter.

Has anyone suggestions on how to make this happen?
Has anyone experience with this device and would it work as needed.
Digital Yacht[emoji768] ZDIGAIT1500 - Class B AIS Transceiver

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback!
Ok currently you have a VHF speaking 183, a 183>2K up converter, a Garmin speaking 2K and an unknown autopilot.

If you go with a Vesper XB-8000 you can sell off the up converter and run it through the Vesper with their antenna splitter. As I've posted in other threads, the best part about this set-up is the NMEA0183 data stream coming off the Vesper. The XB-8000 with wifi will back convert the NMEA2K to 0183. This makes you iPad, Mac, PC, Android, whatever OS you want a second display unit.

The Vesper is controlled through an APP on my iPhone, and tablet. I can change the alarm ranges, activate an anchor alarm and acknowledge the new super loud siren I added.

On my boat I have Garmin and VHF speaking 0183, AP on SeaTalk NG and depth/speed on old SeaTalk-1. The ST-1 goes through a Raymarine up converter and it all goes through the Vesper. I have bi-directional communication between the Garmin and AP and all the data streams to my iPad.

FYI- The NMEA 0183 data goes into the radio, but the NMEA0183 out is not connected. This avoids having two AIS feeds on the network.

Are there other ways? Yes, but none give you the aforementioned versatility and functionality.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 21:28   #7

Check our the new Vesper unit just released
Just had a demo at the US Sailboat Show
Nice bit of kit for sure

VHF-reimagined.com

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 22:02   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Check our the new Vesper unit just released
Just had a demo at the US Sailboat Show
Nice bit of kit for sure

VHF-reimagined.com

Cheers
Neil

===========================

What is the model number?
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===========================

What is the model number?
It’s called “Cortex”
If you punch in

VHF-reimagined.com

It will redirect you to Vespers
promotional video of the product.
Sorry but don’t know how to
include an active link
Cheers
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5CE9731-C60F-4CC0-AC6B-9B0CC314B869.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	201378  
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
It’s called “Cortex”

If you punch in

VHF-reimagined.com

It will redirect you to Vespers

promotional video of the product.

Sorry but don’t know how to

include an active link

Cheers

Neil

It looks really interesting, but where does it stand on FCC and USCG approvals for sale in the US? Have those already been obtained?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:49   #11

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

I also share the multiple outputs of my XB8000 with IPads, IPhone, plotter, alarm klaxon and use the SP160 splitter to share VHF antenna successfully. System works well under all conditions without a hitch.
Recommend this approach as the XB8000 functions independently when other elements fail. The redundant GPS is for your safety.

QUOTE=Snore;2994901]Ok currently you have a VHF speaking 183, a 183>2K up converter, a Garmin speaking 2K and an unknown autopilot.

If you go with a Vesper XB-8000 you can sell off the up converter and run it through the Vesper with their antenna splitter. As I've posted in other threads, the best part about this set-up is the NMEA0183 data stream coming off the Vesper. The XB-8000 with wifi will back convert the NMEA2K to 0183. This makes you iPad, Mac, PC, Android, whatever OS you want a second display unit.

The Vesper is controlled through an APP on my iPhone, and tablet. I can change the alarm ranges, activate an anchor alarm and acknowledge the new super loud siren I added.

On my boat I have Garmin and VHF speaking 0183, AP on SeaTalk NG and depth/speed on old SeaTalk-1. The ST-1 goes through a Raymarine up converter and it all goes through the Vesper. I have bi-directional communication between the Garmin and AP and all the data streams to my iPad.

FYI- The NMEA 0183 data goes into the radio, but the NMEA0183 out is not connected. This avoids having two AIS feeds on the network.

Are there other ways? Yes, but none give you the aforementioned versatility and functionality.[/QUOTE]
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have Vesper 850, much older unit. We really like it. Totally independent with a great anchor watch feature. 7.5 watts so at anchor everything else is OFF and low power draw. we have never connected it’s NMEA 183 output but it’s not turned out to be an issue. It has its own antenna on the mast +80 ft.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Hi Pete,

This looks to be a pretty nice unit. It looks to do what I want except for the VHF hail of a vessel part, which as I think about it is probably a limitation of my VHF radio. I bet it would need to be a NMEA 2k radio to be able to have hails triggered by the chart plotter though my chart plotter can output NMEA 183 as well but still probably won't activate a radio hail... I read the manual for your suggested unit as I wondered why I needed the GPS as the chart plotter already has one. It seems that a class B unit requires it's own separate GPS. That will make 3 gps receiving antennas on my boat. Ughhhh.

I hope the rain subsides and you get it installed and operational.
Thank you,
Ben
I am struggling to get my head around this. So you see another vessel nearby and decide to ask them for ice cubes for the G&T as you have run out. Whilst you can see them on the chart plotter even if you could tap the screen and send a message on channel 70 that you want to have a chat, how does the chart plotter then change the VHF to a working channel?

Wouldn't it be easier to look at their name on the CP and give them a shout on 16? I do get the bit about not wanting to enter their MMSI though.

In the 12 years we have had a Rx AIS I can't remember receiving a mayday or pan pan message by AIS message. Folk tend to pick up the mike on the VHF and talk instead. This of course will also alert any non AIS equipped vessels.

I think its a compulsory requirement that all Tx AIS sets have their own GPS receiver built in rather than rely on a network input, for obvious reasons.

Slow drizzling rain today so don't really want to empty the cockpit locker to get to the existing Rx AIS and move the antenna to the new position. Pondered on some of the other jobs I need to do instead
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 18:40   #14

I am at the Annapolis boat show and just saw the Vesper Cortex which has all the capability of their XB8000 (AIS transponder, NEMA2000, 0183, built in GPS, WiFi) but with the Cortex, they have integrated a DSC VHF into the unit.

It comes with a tethered "mic" which looks just like a smartphone with a color screen which displays the AIS info and allows you to make DSC calls by just tapping on the ship's icon.

The handsets receive their data over the WiFi so the tethered and untethered handsets look and function exactly the same. The tether is a coiled power cord with a plug, like a microphone cable. The tether is a good idea since prevents the primary handset from being lost and eliminates the possibility of a dead handset battery. The untethered version is just like a smartphone and free to roam around the boat, but requires recharging.

The unit also has provisions for wiring in other sensors directly into the unit for display, and re-transmitting on the NEMA networks and WiFi. It is like a mini multi-function display, with a wide variety of screen configurations for displaying all of the data flowing through the system.

It is really a nice piece of kit. It can be the one hub for all your boat electronics since it transfers the data sentences from O183 to NMEA2000 and visa versa. Another benefit is that with the VFH built in, you don't need an antenna splitter like the SP160 to use both AIS and VHF off of the same antenna. The Cortex increases the AIS transmitting power from the 2 watts that the XB8000 has to 5 watts.

It is supposed to be out in December.

The pricing of the Cortex saves you money over buying the XB8000, a new DSC VFH and a splitter. I like that they are integrating the VFH radio in with the AIS transponder.

High on my wish list for this unit would be the inclusion of a coastline base map in the AIS display on the handheld units. That would really bring situational awareness information to your fingertips. Since this would not be a big stretch for this unit, I'm thinking that if enough people ask for this feature, they will include it in an update in the future.

Admittedly, you could have the AIS map overlay function on another chartplotter, MFD or laptop if you take advantage of one of the networks the Cortex has available: NEMA2000, 0183 or WiFi. OpenCPN would make good use of the data.

Now if they they could figure out how to repeat a radar display on this system, it would be perfect.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 18:59   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I like the service response of Vesper that we have seen on this forum. Very impressive.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, chartplotter, grass, hf radio, radio, vhf