Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 18:43   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR
AIS and Raymarine

Folks, asking for advice. My Raymarine E80 chart plotter connects to a Raymarine AIS receiver. To activate my AIS iI have to move the Network baud rate to 38000baud. When I do that, I see the nearby ships with AIs transmitters. However, using AIS causes my chart plotter to shut down and restart.

The chart plotter works fine when I disable the AIS and use baud rate of 4800 or 9600. I am using Raymarine software at version. 5.69.

The local Raymarine expert tells me he has never heard of this problem.
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 19:20   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: AIS and Raymarine

This might be a long shot...the AIS is going to be using somewhere around a couple of amps. If the AIS and MFD are on the same power supply and the wire is small, it may be enough of a start-up draw to momentarily suck enough power out of the MFD to make it re-start. Try giving it a separate power supply for one start-up.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 19:23   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Doug,
One thing is clear your "Raymarine expert" is not interested in solving your problem. You can take his/her number off your speed dial list.
I have a 15 year old C120 and have been running AIS traffic through the NMEA 183 interface at 38,400 B for nearly 10 years. So the interface works, You must have some configuration error. I could try to walk you through a number of issues and still not solve your problem. Maybe someone else has solved the same problem, but my recommendation is to take your issue to the raymarine forum (Discussion Forum - Raymarine Technical Forum) where you are more likely to get a solution.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 19:28   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

I also suspect a power related issue. These displays are very picky about the DC power. They will reset if the power fluctuates even for a moment. Make sure the E80 display has the correct size power cable for the length. Also, be sure that the E80 power feed is connected directly to the distribution panel circuit breaker. As electronics are added there is a tendency to connect the DC power just any place it can be found. This can lead to a significant drop in voltage and cause undesired resets of displays and auto pilots just to name two that often cause problems.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 22:28   #5

the AIS is on and powered whether it's communicating with the chart plotter or not. doubt it's a power thing between the 2.

you must run it at 38,400, it's the only choice.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 06:55   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

This has occasionally been an issue when the AIS overloads the plotter with targets in a busy area. I'm not sure how it's fixed. Update plotter and AIS firmware maybe.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:45   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.

Maybe software/firmware, but frankly I agree with those above who suggest this is a power issue. Temporarily change out the power supply, or reroute some of the feeds from the supply that feeds your plotter if it is loading multiple. The problem may well disappear. I like using supplies which are overrated in terms of amperage than their intended application. The spare capacity often damps spikes in requirement which otherwise can cause sensitive electronics to malfunction.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine