Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 02:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

AIS . Adding transceiver to existing receiver.

I have a vesper marine 750 ais receiver. Of course now I regret not getting the full package so I too can also be seen on ais.

Is there any way to add a transceiver to my receiver or would I have to get a new, all in one unit?
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 03:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: AIS . Adding transceiver to existing receiver.

Think I may have my terminology wrong here.
Old 27-11-2016, 06:54   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I have never see any add-on or extend options. You may be buying a new unit and keeping the receiver as a spare.

I will be buying the new SH AIS/VHF unit when it is available here.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/1...ass_b_ais.html

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:57   #4

sell your unit and buy a new one
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 13:12   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Dont sell your Receiver.

One thing the chart plotters cant do is to receive your own transmitted signal. So you can not actually KNOW that you are transmitting (unless you call another ship or use the internet).

I have spoken to the OpenCpn people and the problem just goes straight over their heads. But i can tell you sommit... Every damn time i go off shore i wonder "am i actually transmitting"?

So keep your receiver and sometimes use it to receive your own transmitted signal to ensure youre getting out there

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Ok. Seems like it's not an option to add on. I've got to say the all in one vhf and ais is a pretty great option. Do you know when it will be released? I thought they already existed on the market.

Mark that sounds really short sighted of the company. Surely this is something everyone would require. Just a bloody red light that's on to show you are transmitting, at least!

I got my unit from vesper. They thought it was funny I was buying such an old model and actually didn't have anyone via phone there that could help me when I was wiring it in. I might try seeing if they would take the unit back if I upgrade to a 850 version. Worth a try! It was only $400aud at least.

I sailed Adelaide (sth australia) to Sydney last year and had too many close calls with cargo ships. After that I knew I wanted a receiver. To be able to see the big ships so clearly seemed like magic. Of course as soon as I've got the receiver it seems insane that I didn't get the transmitter as well so they have a chance to avoid me. After all, they are moving a lot faster than me. Sailing up the east coast of Aus this month so will try and find a solution soon. Thanks for the help.
Old 27-11-2016, 15:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Dont sell your Receiver.

One thing the chart plotters cant do is to receive your own transmitted signal. So you can not actually KNOW that you are transmitting (unless you call another ship or use the internet).

I have spoken to the OpenCpn people and the problem just goes straight over their heads. But i can tell you sommit... Every damn time i go off shore i wonder "am i actually transmitting"?

So keep your receiver and sometimes use it to receive your own transmitted signal to ensure youre getting out there

Mark
I fail to see how that has anything to do with the plotter. the AIS isn't going to RX it's own signal. it's can't TX and RX at the same time. it'll shut off it's RX sensors when it TX's since it's using the same antenna for both.

that would be an issue for the AIS company not the plotter company.

I doubt they are going to build a dual antenna dual TX/ RX board transmitter just so you can test it.
Old 27-11-2016, 16:01   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I fail to see how that has anything to do with the plotter. the AIS isn't going to RX it's own signal. it's can't TX and RX at the same time. it'll shut off it's RX sensors when it TX's since it's using the same antenna for both.

that would be an issue for the AIS company not the plotter company.

I doubt they are going to build a dual antenna dual TX/ RX board transmitter just so you can test it.
Doesnt it TX on a different vhf channel?

(Let me just think it out...)

(Still thinking...)

OK, if you are right then its not the plotter mob. Still the valid point is to be able to check the TX works it would be good to keep the RX box too.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 17:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Ok. Seems like it's not an option to add on. I've got to say the all in one vhf and ais is a pretty great option. Do you know when it will be released? I thought they already existed on the market.

(...)
Nope.

What exists on the marker are VHF / AIS combo RECEIVERS.

This one will be a VHF/AIS transceiver. Just what you and me want.

SH is pretty quick from the show to the shop, so my guess is this is becoming available in 2017. You can ask them over email.

We have their VHF/AIS receiver onboard. It is flawless. It dials the AIS visible ships by the DSC. You simply highlight the ship you want to talk to and press 'dial it'. I love it. No more looking up mmsi on AIS screen then finger dialing it into the VHF! I always mis-dialed the numbers. They are just too long to remember.

Pretty cool.

They normally sell in the US up first and about half a year later in the EU. I will ship ours from the US.

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-11-2016, 17:09   #10

Any idea of the expected pricetag when the new ones come out? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 17:10   #11

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Dont sell your Receiver.

Mark
I hear you! A sailing buddy of mine took his boat through the straight of Gibraltar at night thinking all was good as he transmitted his AIS to all the ships passing by. Found out when he got to Gib that the french electrician had neglected to wire it fully in and he was recieve only. False sense of security is more dangerous than none.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 18:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I hear you! A sailing buddy of mine took his boat through the straight of Gibraltar at night thinking all was good as he transmitted his AIS to all the ships passing by. Found out when he got to Gib that the french electrician had neglected to wire it fully in and he was recieve only. False sense of security is more dangerous than none.
it's easily checked at port with shipfinder or marine traffic app. not really any way at sea though. any installer should have confirmed this before leaving.
Old 27-11-2016, 19:21   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
I have a vesper marine 750 ais receiver. Of course now I regret not getting the full package so I too can also be seen on ais.

Is there any way to add a transceiver to my receiver or would I have to get a new, all in one unit?

We also purchased a Watchmate 750 as the 850 was not approved by the USCG at the time. A few months later it was approved and we purchased it. One of the best buy's we have made. That was 18k miles ago and we still feel the same. Bonus it has a terrific anchor alarm as well.

Sell the 750 and buy a watchmate 850. Its like night and day when matched up to the vhf /ais. Not even close!
Old 28-11-2016, 06:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Any idea of the expected pricetag when the new ones come out? ____Grant.
SH tends to price their stuff very well from day 1. I would bet on a price point well below 1k.

ICOM AIS (tx) can be had at about 800, ICOM VHF/AIS (rx) at 500.

SH will pitch against the ICOM tx unit. But the ICOM unit has no vhf built in.

Hence I would guess more than 800 but not much more.

EDIT: found on the web: "... Recommended retail price: £839.95 including VAT. ..."

Awaiting US authorities paperwork approvals.

b.
Old 28-11-2016, 07:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Mark...

re:
I have spoken to the OpenCpn people and the problem just goes straight over their heads...

We can talk again if you like. Not sure what the issue/request is here.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais