Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 08:56   #16

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers
Re: AIS . Adding transceiver to existing receiver.

Class B AIS transponder requires to have their own GPS receiver so that that can operate without the need of any other external positioning devices, as a standalone device.
You will also need an MMSI number (free).
There is no way you can add AIS transmit feature out of a normal VHF or AIS receiver unit.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:20   #17

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I changed my raymarine receiver to the transponder and also had to get a powered aerial splitter as the standard one was not strong enough.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:35   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 35 "Anduril"

I have a Standard Horizon GS2100 VHF\integrated AIS receiver, wired to a separate GPS. At the boat show">Annapolis Boat show, one vendor "Milltech Marine" told me that I could add a AMEC CUBO-161 AIS/VHF Antenna Splitter and a AMEC CAMINO-108 Class B AIS Transponder to provide the transmit capability ... boat show price was $179+$440.
They have a nice little receiver unit as well AMEC CYPHO-150 as well.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:07   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have never see any add-on or extend options. You may be buying a new unit and keeping the receiver as a spare.

I will be buying the new SH AIS/VHF unit when it is available here.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Standard Horizon GX6500: a loaded VHF radio also integrated with Class B AIS

b.
Yes, that's quite appealing, but I would be concerned about having two fairly critical pieces of gear in one box. That said, I have the three-year old GX2200 with AIS receive, and it's a very good piece of kit. I even use the PA to do fog signals!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 16:12   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herreshoff View Post
Ok. Seems like it's not an option to add on. I've got to say the all in one vhf and ais is a pretty great option. Do you know when it will be released? I thought they already existed on the market.

Mark that sounds really short sighted of the company. Surely this is something everyone would require. Just a bloody red light that's on to show you are transmitting, at least!

I got my unit from vesper. They thought it was funny I was buying such an old model and actually didn't have anyone via phone there that could help me when I was wiring it in. I might try seeing if they would take the unit back if I upgrade to a 850 version. Worth a try! It was only $400aud at least.

I sailed Adelaide (sth australia) to Sydney last year and had too many close calls with cargo ships. After that I knew I wanted a receiver. To be able to see the big ships so clearly seemed like magic. Of course as soon as I've got the receiver it seems insane that I didn't get the transmitter as well so they have a chance to avoid me. After all, they are moving a lot faster than me. Sailing up the east coast of Aus this month so will try and find a solution soon. Thanks for the help.
Two points to consider: AIS Class B transceivers operate on a different schedule than do Class A. Too many recreational boaters leave their Class B transceivers active at moor, anchor or dock, making it semi-useless in crowded harbours. The big boys tend to turn it off, as it makes their screens look like a unicorn's chundered. That said, off shore, the Class B will help you, but really, also consider getting a radar. The two technologies work together surprisingly well, and if it's stormy, a big ship can see both your (occasional) AIS position and your radar image. Makes things less ambiguous for them.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 17:01   #21
Marine Service Provider

All very interesting. There are clearly many options for an upgrade. I think I'm going to go with choulihas suggestions to upgrade to the watchmate 850. I like that it's a seperate unit, they are easy to use. It appears to be the best choice for me. I sent a begging email to the vesper people to see if there is any chance they would take my 750 back and deduct a little money off the cost of the 850. I know, I'm dreaming. They were probably kicking themselves when someone ordered the 750 as I don't imagine they sell many anymore. If I can't get some deduction I will try and sell it online.

Anyone want a vesper watchmate 750. They're great! Just don't read any of this thread...

Chouliha. Does the 850 have a built in gps or is it like the 750 in that way?

Thanks for all the advice.
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 22:32   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

You don't need to spend for the 850. The XB-6000 is a few hundred less.
Vesper Marine XB-8000 AIS Transponder with WiFi

Link states 8000 but it goes to the 6000
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 01:58   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
All very interesting. There are clearly many options for an upgrade. I think I'm going to go with choulihas suggestions to upgrade to the watchmate 850. I like that it's a seperate unit, they are easy to use. It appears to be the best choice for me. I sent a begging email to the vesper people to see if there is any chance they would take my 750 back and deduct a little money off the cost of the 850. I know, I'm dreaming. They were probably kicking themselves when someone ordered the 750 as I don't imagine they sell many anymore. If I can't get some deduction I will try and sell it online.

Anyone want a vesper watchmate 750. They're great! Just don't read any of this thread...

I had the 850 on my last boat and yes it has a inbuilt gps BUT for some reason it dosent always work inside the boat, its a common problem. Vesper sell a seperate gps that I mounted right next to the unit and it worked fine.
Im fairly sure the 850 told you that you were transmitting ,or there was a problem.
Also as previously mentioned it has a great anchor alarm.
All in all a great unit.
My new boat only has a reciever, I'll be upgrading to the transmitter type, what's a little more money!!!!!!!!

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:59   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

The 6000 linked to above has internal gps antenna and comes with external gps antenna as well. Price is $555
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 07:18   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Doesnt it TX on a different vhf channel?

OK, if you are right then its not the plotter mob. Still the valid point is to be able to check the TX works it would be good to keep the RX box too.
I appreciate your thinking Mark, but then you'd need two antenna also...

As for selling an AIS receiver, I recently bought the dAISy receiver for ~$60... I'd think that makes it pretty tough to sell a used receiver.
Old 30-11-2016, 03:52   #26

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:

Yes the 850 has a built in gps. I ordered the external gps antenna. and installed it inside. Just hooked it up and moved it around watching signal strength until i found a good spot.

It also has a gps/ais usb feed that i use for my laptop opencpn program. The number of filters you can use is awesome. you won't be disappointed with the Vesper watchmate 850

Safe sailing

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti

Tags
ais