Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2016, 05:04   #1

AirMar DST800

I was forced to replace the speed log impeller on my B&G Hornet which worked reliably, accurately for 30 years... with an Airmar DST800.

It's been in the hull since April 2015. I am so far not enchanted with it for the following reasons not in order of importance:

1. It all black, plastic and where it's installed (old B&G hole) it dark and difficult to see. ( I have the same issue with my car FOB which is black and hard to see when I drop it (often) in the black interior). Why not white????
It has a insert direction "arrow" which is a raise graphic... very difficult to see as well.

2. It seems to get clogged rather easily... more easily than the B&G impeller. I had the bottom scraped 2 weeks ago... cleaned a very very fouled impeller... which worked for one weekend.... and stopped. When I removed it for inspection... there was barely anything on it... but the impeller can move laterally. I wonder if this plays a role???

3. The accuracy seems odd to say the least... hard to adjust from the Hornet... either too fast or too slow with consideration for the current. I've tried changing the "damping"... maybe I haven't found the best setting... Is this a B&G Hornet problem or an DST800 one?

I suspect this is a common speedo.... so I ask what is the experience of others and what instrument is is paired with?

Can it send data to the Hornet and a B&G T7 at the same time? Does it have a temp output? If so can this be displayed on what stand along instrument?

Thank you!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 08:43   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: AirMar DST800

There are many varieties of the DST800 - we have an all bronze long-stem version.

As far as them getting fouled... maybe. You need to use a water based anti-foul on exposed parts. Using an oil based paint will void your warranty and ruin it. We use hydrocoat ECO but I'm sure if you apply lanolin "or something similar " on a regular basis it would be just as good. Yet, occasionally it will get stuck.

There is a registration bump on ours to be sure that the impeller is always facing the right direction - it will only seat fully one way.

As far as accuracy, since these components can be used for many different devices they need to be calibrated. My Garmin has a calibration wizard... not sure if you have that or not.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote