Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 03:10   #1

Boat: Tashiba 40
Airmail Pactor III problem

Hello all, I have a Pactor IIex modem connected to a M802. I have used this for years with good results. We have been cruising the Med for the last 1.5 years so have not used it. Now we are off to cross the Atlantic and there seems to be an issue. I can connect ok to shore stations but when the transmission starts I get a constant "Retry" on the download. I can hear the incoming transmission and it seems pretty good, better than a lot of times in the past. Eventually it will disconnect. Starting to wonder if somehow the modem went bad, anyone ever see this?
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 02:12   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Airmail Pactor III problem

Hearing the tx tells you how well you are receiving the powerful shorestation. It doesn't say anything about how well your 802 is transmitting to the shorestation. Have you tried voice transmissions to similar areas at similar times? The problem Sounds more like a tx issue rather than a Pactor issue.
Old 16-10-2017, 02:20   #3

Boat: Tashiba 40
Re: Airmail Pactor III problem

Hi, I worked a bit in this and think I might have come up with something. I happen to have a spare Pactor modem (bought it cheap in a second hand shop). When I plugged that in it worked fine. So I went back to my IIe (not a IIex as I thought). I checked the firmware and it was 3.3 and the latest was 4.0 (which my spare was already at). So I went ahead and flashed it to 4. It then connected and worked as it should. So, not sure if it needed the newer firmware or somehow the old got corrupted somehow. Anyway, fingers crossed that this solved the problem.

The reason I suspected the modem was that it would receive a very clear transmission. It would then act as if it had not and request a retry. Very odd.
jonturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pactor