Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2015, 00:07   #46

Re: Affordable MPPT Charge Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
Ok, read thru all of this, sometimes a little confusing as to which controller the comments attribute to. I am not nearly as smart as some of you so looking for your input. The ECO-Worthy seems to have issues based on the MaineSail comments and also on the uTube videos. So a year later, is the Tracer unit still working well? Can I use one for a 265watt / 31v panel ? Ed
After reading this thread I installed a smaller one (1215BN) for my 30W panel 3 months ago.

Works great so far....
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:47   #47

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Curious about how long it takes to receive a Tracer controller from Alibaba being shipped from China?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 08:20   #48

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barboak View Post
Curious about how long it takes to receive a Tracer controller from Alibaba being shipped from China?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With Aliexpress, you can choose your shipping method. I chose DHL and recieved all my orders in under 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure one of them was under a week.

Try to avoid China post as its been SUPER slow lately.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 09:44   #49

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you trust the Chinese, you can get a MPPT controller for a whole lot less than $100

12V 24V 5 10A 15 20A 30A MPPT Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller FB | eBay

I actually bought one of these and it did regulate the panel, but I wasn't expecting any current boost.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you trust the Chinese, you can get a MPPT controller for a whole lot less than $100

12V 24V 5 10A 15 20A 30A MPPT Solar Panel Battery Regulator Charge Controller FB | eBay

I actually bought one of these and it did regulate the panel, but I wasn't expecting any current boost.
Are you sure that's actually a MPPT regulator? (I'm not saying it isn't (an MPPT regulator), but I've seen PMW regulators advertised that look virtually identical)

I buy quite a bit off Ebay, but I get the impression that especially for new items been sold, in some cases it is either counterfeit (e.g. some of the ALFA USB wifi-dongles) or the seller is miss-representing the items (passing off PMW/Shunt controllers as MPPT controllers).

Seems it's the a bit the Wild-West on the internet out there......
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 18:00   #52

Personally I prefer the Tracer 3215BN as it has completely adjustable charge voltages and can be used for ANY type of battery including LIFEPO4 batteries. The new Tracer has fixed charging profiles that cannot be adjusted.

Now... I want to update that I finally blew up my 2215BN after 7 months of overdriving it with 300W of solar. Unfortunately the second spare one blew up in under 1 month of the same conditions. Both controllers blew the SCHOTTKY diode array. I have since replaced that part with a 60A rated one and both controllers are functioning again. I guess the lesson is, RUN THEM AT THEIR RATED CURRENT.
Old 30-11-2015, 18:42   #53

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
OK, the NC solar credit expires this year so which brand is safer buying from Alibaba? 30A MPPT Tracer 3215BN solar charge controller 12V 24V auto switch MPPT epsolar Tracer3215 solar regulator Light and dual timer -in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or: 12V 24V New Tracer 3210A 30 amps Programmable MPPT Charge Controller 30A with MT50 LCD display Remote meter-in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or a package: 12V 24V New Tracer2210A Programmable MPPT solar charge controller 20A MT50 LCD display panel meter remote temperature sensor-in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group with remote sensor and display

I will buy one for each of 2 panels. thanks

You're looking at 2 very different MPPT controllers the BN is more flexible in the user programmable charging options (good if you plan on going to LiFo batteries at some point) the BN also has a higher max input voltage of 150v which allows you to string more panels in series ( higher voltage = smaller wire sizes) The A series is newer and hopefully has better firmware, but isn't as flexible in programming and has a lower max input voltage.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 19:30   #54

Quote:
OK, the NC solar credit expires this year so which brand is safer buying from Alibaba? 30A MPPT Tracer 3215BN solar charge controller 12V 24V auto switch MPPT epsolar Tracer3215 solar regulator Light and dual timer -in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or: 12V 24V New Tracer 3210A 30 amps Programmable MPPT Charge Controller 30A with MT50 LCD display Remote meter-in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

or a package: 12V 24V New Tracer2210A Programmable MPPT solar charge controller 20A MT50 LCD display panel meter remote temperature sensor-in Solar Controllers from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group with remote sensor and display

I will buy one for each of 2 panels. thanks

I wouldn't recommend any of the Tracer solar controllers.

What has been discussed in a couple of other threads, and is being completely ignored in this thread - is the Tracer controller's inability to lock onto the correct MPPT voltage. There is a Youtube video here:
showing very graphically that the firmware is incapable of determining the "knee" where MPPT occurs, it just randomly wanders all over the place, most of the time, it is not on the correct voltage and is just wasting power. The video shows exactly what I'm talking about. I bought a 40A Tracer 4210A to check it out based on the posts from travellerw recommending it and to say I'm disappointed in it would be an understatement.

According to his posts, he was told by someone at Tracer that a new firmware would be out sometime in the last year addressing the tracking problem, but I haven't heard of any sign of it yet. In the meantime, it makes an excellent doorstop or paper weight, but I doubt it is any more efficient (or possibly not even as efficient) as a PWM controller. I definitely would not recommend this brand of controller.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:52   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

What has been discussed in a couple of other threads, and is being completely ignored in this thread - is the Tracer controller's inability to lock onto the correct MPPT voltage.
This is a problem with many of the Chinese eBay level controllers. They are often using antiquated MPPT algorithms and their tracking speeds can be rather atrocious. A lot of the Chinese controllers are still using a "pause and observe" approach which has not been used by reputable MPPT manufacturers for a very, very long while. Heck some of the Chinese controllers sold as MPPT are not MPPT at all.. On boats, with ever changing shading, the MPPT tracking speed is more critical to good MPPT performance than most would assume.

I'd have to say that video is about the slowest power point tracking I have ever seen.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:15   #56

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Appreciate the comments. So if I want 2 20A MMPT controllers at a reasonable cost - what do I want and from where? open circuit - 38v, 9A
thanks for the knowledge.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 13:13   #57

Quote:
Appreciate the comments. So if I want 2 20A MMPT controllers at a reasonable cost - what do I want and from where? open circuit - 38v, 9A
Ed
Just an FYI.. I actually used my controllers on a boat I lived on. Although they do have a slow MPPT algorithm, I never had any issues in 7 months. The controller consistently produced more than I needed. Real world for me, showed it wasn't a huge issue. Although my panels are on a Cat and are rarely shaded.

If the issue bothers you and you want to pick another controller, then look to Eco-Worthy. They have a 20A MPPT controller that is priced very cheap. It kills me to give this as an option as they stole (no borrowed or copied, STOLE) this design from a reputable company.
Old 01-12-2015, 13:35   #58

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Ed
You can get the simplest Victron controllers without display for about the same price as the Chinese ones.

I did buy some eco-worthy style controllers a while ago, initial tests seem OK, but there are some strange things about the software, there is probably more than one version; The version that I have has no absorption charge mode, just goes from bulk to float.

I am still planning to do some more testing.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 14:34   #59

2+years passed, any update on this? The Epever tracer 30A model sells for the same ££ as the 15A Victron, both from a UK-based ebay vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I wouldn't recommend any of the Tracer solar controllers.

What has been discussed in a couple of other threads, and is being completely ignored in this thread - is the Tracer controller's inability to lock onto the correct MPPT voltage. There is a Youtube video here:
showing very graphically that the firmware is incapable of determining the "knee" where MPPT occurs, it just randomly wanders all over the place, most of the time, it is not on the correct voltage and is just wasting power. The video shows exactly what I'm talking about. I bought a 40A Tracer 4210A to check it out based on the posts from travellerw recommending it and to say I'm disappointed in it would be an understatement.

According to his posts, he was told by someone at Tracer that a new firmware would be out sometime in the last year addressing the tracking problem, but I haven't heard of any sign of it yet. In the meantime, it makes an excellent doorstop or paper weight, but I doubt it is any more efficient (or possibly not even as efficient) as a PWM controller. I definitely would not recommend this brand of controller.
Old 05-03-2018, 14:54   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
2+years passed, any update on this? The Epever tracer 30A model sells for the same ££ as the 15A Victron, both from a UK-based ebay vendor.
We lived aboard full time with our Tracer controllers (3 of them) for 15 months. We NEVER seen the issue that the video shows in real life. I spoke with the Youtuber who made that video and we agreed he was using VERY extreme scenarios that most people would never encounter in a real live aboard scenario.

HOWEVER.... I have since replaced my controllers with Victron and I no longer recommend the Epever controllers.

My original Epever controllers were killed in a lightening strike and facing replacing all of them, I opted to try Victron controllers. The simple fact is, the Victron controllers are just better. Although they seem about the same in efficiency, they are just all around better. They have better accessories like the bluetooth dongle. They have better support (with dealers down here in the Caribbean). They have a better warranty. Best of all, they welcome home brew solutions and publish data on thier protocols and ports (I have a blog post on making my own monitors).

After owning and living aboard with both for a substancial amount of time I have to say its worth the extra money for the Victron controllers. I have yet to meet a full time cruiser that wasn't happy with thier Victron MPPT controllers.

Tags
mppt