Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 11:33   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Affordable masthead combination anchor light and tricolour recommendations.

I suspect that the previous fixture was AquaSignal (AS) - they do have a tendency for the lenses to turn opaque and then powder. If it is one of the newer models with QuicFits then it is easy to unplug the old and plug in a new LED AS tricolor, which is so easy to install that it might be worth doing even though AS is not the best choice otherwise.

If having to do a new install then definitely have a look at the LunaSea tricolor (https://www.lunasealighting.com/prod...-interference/ ). They are compact and very high quality with essentially no RFI issues.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:35   #17

Boat: Bristol 29

Please consider an anchor light at boom level. If a vessel is creeping into your anchorage on the dark of the moon, a sea of anchor lights look like a sea of stars and provide no useful information.
CaptainGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:37   #18

Boat: Fantasia 35

http://www.optolamp.com.br/english/i...ct-5-in-1.html
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:42   #19

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGrey View Post
Please consider an anchor light at boom level. If a vessel is creeping into your anchorage on the dark of the moon, a sea of anchor lights look like a sea of stars and provide no useful information.
I echo the sentiment but don't think it is worth hard-wiring a light. We just use a couple of inflatable solar powered lights like this:
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-solar-lantern

One set on low power will last all night in case someone comes creeping in to the anchorage very late. Another set brighter will last past the time when latecomers typically arrive. With two they can be set so there is no "blind spot". We particularly like that you can set them to different colors. When leaving the boat in the evening we choose a color we don't see on any nearby boats. Makes it much easier to find your way home on a moonless night
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 13:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
#1... save money ... just buy a trilight.... don't waste money on an all round white at the masthead..

#2 ...don't buy Aquasignal...

#3 ... remember ... buy quality... you will enjoy the quality long after the price is forgotten

#5 ... buy Hella .. something like this https://www.hellamarine.com/en/produ...tion-lamp.html

Five years ago replaced a crappo Aquasignal steaming/decklight combo with a Hella far superiour product.

Recently bought a Hella LED bicolour... very impressed with the quality... replacing a discontinued Aquasignal model which was rubbish... maybe thats why they are discontinued...

Did I mention that Aquasignal are rubbish?

Remember the sour taste of inferior quality lasts far long than the euphoria of a bargain price
KiwiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 14:50   #21

Read what Rhwins above has to say. The higher powered LEDs chop the power continuously and this radiates EM all over the spectrum. Badly effects TV VHF, UHf etc. reception. But easy to check before installation.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 15:07   #22

Boat: Volkscruiser

GiLow I am a big fan of Hella. I have one of their waterproof cockpit lights and after 4 years it’s still going strong.
This light looks like it will do the job.
https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/n...8aAvQxEALw_wcB
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 15:08   #23

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Check out Marine Beam .com
A third for Marinebeam. All quality products and have the chip that doesn’t mind variations in battery voltage. Also no RF interference with their products. At the very least check out their website - excellent explanation of what type to buy and what to avoid, even if you go elsewhere for final purchase. I bought all my LEDs from them.
Old 13-04-2020, 18:56   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Thank you all, I feel like I have a dedicated research team ready to go at a moment’s notice here.

I’ve gone for the Hella. The Marine Beam was tempting but it did look like it might be a newly released version and I’d rather someone else did the testing.

Thanks to Fore and Aft for the link to a well priced version of the Hella.

I also agree that an anchor light up in the air is pretty useless, so I have a number of deck level options I already employ. But I liked having options, even if some are a bit silly, so I ordered the tricolour/anchor light combo.
Old 13-04-2020, 19:07   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gilow it sounds like you have just ordered one thing from Arnolds. I usually try and think about what else I do not really need so I get the free shipping with orders over $499.
I love the human mind where you spend an extra couple of hundred dollars just so you save $18 in shipping!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 19:45   #26

Down that path, madness lies.

But yeah I might have been able to think of something, though I am happy to say I haven’t needed stuff for a while now. I appear to have replaced most of the boat.
Old 13-04-2020, 23:17   #27

Boat: Najad 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I suspect that the previous fixture was AquaSignal (AS) - they do have a tendency for the lenses to turn opaque and then powder. If it is one of the newer models with QuicFits then it is easy to unplug the old and plug in a new LED AS tricolor, which is so easy to install that it might be worth doing even though AS is not the best choice otherwise.
Greg

A few years back I was advised to not replace the bulb in the tri-colour by a LED because the latter emits light in sets of rays of different frequency. Some of the rays may be filtered out by the coloured lens, turning the colour of the visible light different and altering the distance it can be viewed from. This is the reason why some of the newer lights made of LED do not have lenses I think. It is also the reason why most LEDs were not approved for such setup at the time as per the advisor.

At the time I could not find LEDs approved for such setup so I only put a LED for the anchor light in my double AquaSignal.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 04:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
A few years back I was advised to not replace the bulb in the tri-colour by a LED because the latter emits light in sets of rays of different frequency. Some of the rays may be filtered out by the coloured lens, turning the colour of the visible light different and altering the distance it can be viewed from. This is the reason why some of the newer lights made of LED do not have lenses I think. It is also the reason why most LEDs were not approved for such setup at the time as per the advisor.

At the time I could not find LEDs approved for such setup so I only put a LED for the anchor light in my double AquaSignal.

Actually, this makes sense, now that you mention it.

Mine had been retrofitted with LED bayonet globes and I was surprised how bright the globe was when I brought it down from the mast and tested it after breaking the fitting.

I’ve concluded a LOT of light was being lost, though I had put it down to the somewhat opaque state of the lense.

Perhaps not. Perhaps it was as you have suggested.
Old 14-04-2020, 06:05   #29

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

GILow
I have been using Hella lights for 40 years off and on. Can't fault the quality at any time.

Cheers, stay safe
Old 14-04-2020, 07:07   #30

Boat: CA 34

You can add us to the list of very happy MarineBeam users. Not only is the price point excellent but it outperforms most every masthead Tri/anchor/strobe we've come across. Better yet it is a two wire install.

Tags
anchor, head, mast, men