Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 08:34   #76

Re: Advices on electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
Mine are both Apple...maybe they are “junk” as we say in the streetrod gang. By the way they are going on their first back road cruise today after breakfast.. unfortunately I have to work (even in retirement).

Drifting away from electronics, my boat is on the hard stands and there was two feet of flood water under it last night. The river is up another foot at the moment with two more expected by Thurs. so I could have a foot of water in the bilges. My pumps are “ always on” so I can expect stone dead batteries by the time I can get to it.
First, I hope everything goes as good as it can in regards to the flood

Regarding phones/tablets.. my note 8 works in -30°c maybe it's an apple problem only? Or possibly seawater corruption of the parts?
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 08:57   #77
rbk

Boat: T37

They will all work in cold temps but when the battery gets cold the power can drop off. I’ve had a fully charged phone get cold then show 10% only to warm it up and it jumps back to 80%. 45f does sound too warm for it to drop off, usually not until -15c (5f) does it really have any effect
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:13   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
They will all work in cold temps but when the battery gets cold the power can drop off. I’ve had a fully charged phone get cold then show 10% only to warm it up and it jumps back to 80%. 45f does sound too warm for it to drop off, usually not until -15c (5f) does it really have any effect
Oi aye, that makes sense. Same reason so many get new car batteries in the fall haha at least around here.

I assumed he meant an issue separate from battery charging. Saw a neat idea the other day, running a USB line out to the cockpit and installing a USB charging port for your electronics in the cockpit. Coupled with a water proof bag/case over the phone.. could work really slick.

RR

P.s I hope your hand gets better. If I haven't said that yet, guess no spring cleaning for you haha.
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 09:51   #79
rbk

Boat: T37

There are several manufacturers of waterproof/resistant USB/dc cockpit outlets. Most new phones are fairly waterproof or you can always buy a waterproof case. You’ll probably want to consider a full enclosure once you figure your boat out, makestge rainy days more pleasant when you can sit in the cockpit at anchor warm and dry.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 15:05   #80

I am going to disagree with many posters here.

You don't need a depth finder in PNW waters until you're heading out to anchor. The waters are mostly deep and those that aren't are well charted. Even in La Conner, a depth sounder won't really help you. Just don't go at low tide and stay in the channel, it easy. Especially don't go on a low falling tide. I've been through the south half on a zero tide rising from -3 and slowed in a few places as my 6ft keel dragged in the mud. The north end is a little shallower and I have friends that have gotten stuck there on minus tides with shallower keeled boats

I wouldn't consider a chart plotter until you decide you need radar, which you don't if you watch the weather. Radar and Chart Plotters need to play together and mixed brands or mixed generations don't. I hear that Furano makes a wifi radar that works with a tablet, doesn't need a chart plotter.

Don't listen to those that say all you need is a compass and paper charts either. It takes skill to navigate using paper charts. Electronic charts are far easier and more accurate

I'd recommend a tabled running the Navionics App. Be sure to get a tablet with built in GPS (cellular enable for iPads, not sure about google tables). Subscribe to the US&Canada charts and download from Olympia to Port Hardy. That will probably be your cruising grounds for years. I'd only use a cell phone as emergency backup, I cant see anything on that small screen, but maybe younger eyes can.

OpenCPN is ok in US waters, but I haven't found Canadian Charts for reasonable prices.

You do need a VHF, and I would recommend an AIS Transponder before radar, but remember there are many boats, plus logs and crab pots that do not transmit AIS. Many don't show up on radar either.

That brings up another essential - if you are going out in weather requiring radar, you also need a radar reflector, so others can see you. Fiberglass, masts, shrouds and stays are all poor reflectors.

And be sure to have spare fuel filters and know how to change them and bleed your fuel system on that first trip. Boat motion may stir up junk from your tanks and clog the filters. You don't want to get caught without spares.
Jlp0217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics