Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 12:08   #76

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: Advice needed on AIS

Getting the data from one network to the other (bridging) is srtraighht straight forward.
The problem is doing something intelligent with the data once you get it... displaying it.

It has, however, just occurred to me that I don't actually need to integrate a radar, I can just use the standalone screen. I've been so possessed with integrating everything and viewing it all on a common screen that I overlooked this simple fact.
Old 12-02-2015, 22:02   #77

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

[QUOTE=jeffrobbins;1745895]Not quite. They are introducing a new version based on the NOAA vector charts. The new version costs $6.99 to download and includes any one region you choose (54 x 54 nm). Additional regions are $2.99 (maximum - some are less). Or you can buy all the NOAA charts for $14.99.

NOAA charts are free, you just download them from the gov web site?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 22:42   #78

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Standard Horizon makes a VHF only, VHF/GPS combo, VHF/AIS and then a VHF/GPS/AIS if I am reading the ads correctly. Since I need at least a new VHF radio, I am trying to figure out the best combo given my cruising area. From what I am reading I am swayed to save my pennies and get the Watchmate at a later date and get a radio now without AIS.

I think this is a good idea.

Hans and Salty Rope gave very good advice also.

I used Marine Traffic for two years just on my cell phone as I was going up and down the east coast of the US. It helped me pick my opening in busy traffic lanes. But can be spotty and wasn't integrated with anything.

For the Atlantic Passage, I spent $568 for the Digital Yacht AIS B transceiver. Some of the best money I ever spent.

On our passage, we never had a ship get with 5 miles. Once they see you on AIS they will avoid you.

This was seconded my the fishermen I spoke to in Castletownbere.

While I did not integrate the AIS into my Raymarine Chartplotter, I did integrate into Coastal Explorer and my Nav program and monitor.

A few other observations. DSC seems already on the way out.

I would NOT cross the Atlantic without radar. Period.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 23:06   #79

[QUOTE=Dauntlessny;1747781]

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's like saying GPS is on the way out, it is the core system for SOLAS communications. The MMSI No you get from the AIS in order to contact a ship is their DSC call sign. It may be that sat com is replacing long distance radio but nothing is on the horizon to replace VHF for bridge to bridge and coastal traffic control so why would anyone drop DSC? Even for SAR you may pick up a casualty location from 4/5 miles away for a MOB if they have an AIS transponder but the call out is relayed to the the coast station and co-ordinated via DSC radio.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:00   #80

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

[QUOTE=roland stockham;1747786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's like saying GPS is on the way out, it is the core system for SOLAS communications. The MMSI No you get from the AIS in order to contact a ship is their DSC call sign. It may be that sat com is replacing long distance radio but nothing is on the horizon to replace VHF for bridge to bridge and coastal traffic control so why would anyone drop DSC? Even for SAR you may pick up a casualty location from 4/5 miles away for a MOB if they have an AIS transponder but the call out is relayed to the the coast station and co-ordinated via DSC radio.
Indeed. What is replacing DSC? I think you are mistaken here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 13:29   #81

Interesting update on the use of the new DSC equipped mobile radios from the Canadian authorities. I will be using these issued to each crew member as a MOB device so that if anyone falls overboard they can call the ship and we will get there position. I can also poll there radio from the ship and get there location without them needing to do anything. Works for me. I will also use these for dingy trips and kyaking
The query to the radio licencing agency was "do I apply for separate MMSI numbers for each radio or use my ship number".

The reply is;
Since these handhelds will also be used outside of the general location of the yacht, such as on a kayak as mentioned, you should apply for a MI number for each radio. If they were to always be used in association with the yacht then using its MMSI number would be fine.

This makes sense to me and I know that in the UK they are issuing a separate set of numbers for these devices
Old 17-02-2015, 12:45   #82

Boat: sailing yacht , 39 feet

I am buying an Garmin AIS 600 and connect via NMEA183 to a Raymarin C95 chart plotter. No problems with that. But since I have hearing problems I would like to connect an external alarm to the AIS or plotter...
The plotter will be connected in the cockpit but I want to have this external alarm inside the boat. For example when sleeping ...I am sailing alone..
This could be a fantastic safety feature when an AIS alarm is giving a loud alarm...unfortunately too low to hear for me!
I can't see any connections on the plotter or AIS for the external loudspeaker..
I hope you understand any help is warmly appreciated!
seglarpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 13:05   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglarpeter View Post
I am buying an Garmin AIS 600 and connect via NMEA183 to a Raymarin C95 chart plotter. No problems with that. But since I have hearing problems I would like to connect an external alarm to the AIS or plotter...
The plotter will be connected in the cockpit but I want to have this external alarm inside the boat. For example when sleeping ...I am sailing alone..
This could be a fantastic safety feature when an AIS alarm is giving a loud alarm...unfortunately too low to hear for me!
I can't see any connections on the plotter or AIS for the external loudspeaker..
sorry for this replay...wrong thread- I think, /
Old 17-02-2015, 13:08   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Seglarpeter

Wow did not know the New Ray stuff did not have an external alarm.

Best suggestion is to use OpenCpn when you are sleeping. Just connect the AIS via NMEA0183>serial>usb>PC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 14:03   #85

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
You should probably start your own thread on this but:

I can't speak for the Raymarin plotter but the Garmin 5208 and I suspect most other Garmin units have an output for an external alarm. Not a "speaker" output, but a wire that can be connected to an alarm buzzer or a relay and then any alarm you desire.

What's a bit hard for some folks to understand is, this wire does not supply 12 volts to a device, it completes a negative connection. I other words, you run a (fused) wire from a 12 volt source to the buzzer or relay and the other wire from the buzzer or relay to the Garmin wire. When the Garmin internal buzzer sounds, the wire goes negative ("sinks") and the circuit is completed.
Old 17-02-2015, 14:51   #86

Quote:
If your AIS device does not have this it should be possible to get it modified to lead the wire out. Needs to be done by the manufacture/service centre if you want the warranty to be valid. Then hook up to a relay. Using a relay means you can have multiple alert systems e.g. chart table, skippers bunk, cockpit. I also find that adding a small red nav light (LED bulb to reduce power?) works very well
Old 18-02-2015, 00:11   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You should probably start your own thread on this but:

I can't speak for the Raymarin plotter but the Garmin 5208 and I suspect most other Garmin units have an output for an external alarm. Not a "speaker" output, but a wire that can be connected to an alarm buzzer or a relay and then any alarm you desire.

What's a bit hard for some folks to understand is, this wire does not supply 12 volts to a device, it completes a negative connection. I other words, you run a (fused) wire from a 12 volt source to the buzzer or relay and the other wire from the buzzer or relay to the Garmin wire. When the Garmin internal buzzer sounds, the wire goes negative ("sinks") and the circuit is completed.
Hi rwidman, that sounds fantastic. I am reading now the operating manual for the Garmin AIS 600 and indeed there is a yellow wire to be connected to a single pole in order to get silent mode... it switches the AIS transmit function off when I close the switch/pole. Should I use this one for the external buzzer as well?
Old 18-02-2015, 04:39   #88

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Hi rwidman, that sounds fantastic. I am reading now the operating manual for the Garmin AIS 600 and indeed there is a yellow wire to be connected to a single pole in order to get silent mode... it switches the AIS transmit function off when I close the switch/pole. Should I use this one for the external buzzer as well?
I don't think so. I don't have that device or the manual. Whichever device is the one providing the warning is the one you should be checking the manual of. It's the plotter probably. You could always contact their tech support and ask.
Old 23-02-2015, 18:00   #89

Boat: Custom Power Cat 16.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Interesting update on the use of the new DSC equipped mobile radios from the Canadian authorities. I will be using these issued to each crew member as a MOB device so that if anyone falls overboard they can call the ship and we will get there position. I can also poll there radio from the ship and get there location without them needing to do anything. Works for me. I will also use these for dingy trips and kyaking
The query to the radio licencing agency was "do I apply for separate MMSI numbers for each radio or use my ship number".

The reply is;
Since these handhelds will also be used outside of the general location of the yacht, such as on a kayak as mentioned, you should apply for a MI number for each radio. If they were to always be used in association with the yacht then using its MMSI number would be fine.

This makes sense to me and I know that in the UK they are issuing a separate set of numbers for these devices
In Australia, there is now the option to prefix your vessel MMSI with an 8 I believe to designate it as a handheld of the mothership.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08   #90

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
The XB-8000 supports DSC calling via its API so NavPlay is the first app to take advantage of its ability to place DSC calls remotely. Other apps are also coming. And OpenCPN could also easily do this if someone wants to add it. If you do, just get in touch with me and I'll give you the details on what to send to the XB-8000 or Vision.
I'm in the market for a DSC VHF, so I'd like it to be compatible.

Can you give us more details about this DSC call setup API ?

-is it based on any standard, or is it proprietary to Vesper ?
-can you post the spec. ?
-What radios are supported ? connected by NMEA2000 or NMEA0183 ?

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais