Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2012, 07:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Adding a Linear to SSB

Going to add some power to my Icom 802 with a Commander 150 Linear..
And now I'm wondering , Do I put it between the radio and the AT140 tuner or after the tuner..
Was thinking that after the tuner, on the antenna, the 140 now has to tune throu the 150, which might cause problems..
But if I mount it between the two, the tuner now has to put up with the extra power..
Any Ideas?????????????????
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 08:16   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Adding a Linear to SSB

Do NOT put a linear amplifer between the M-802 and the AT-140 tuner! You will blow the tuner for sure.

Also, do NOT put a linear amplifier after the AT-140 tuner. These tuners are made to work into an end-fed, random-length wire, not thru coax to a linear.

I'm not familiar with the Commander 150. The 1250 and 1250E are great linears, which put out a very hefty signal. Only way I can think of to use them on a boat would be with a completely separate antenna system which included either a manual of automatic tuner AFTER the linear which could handle the linear's output.

The goal in designing your system is to ensure that both the linear and the radio each see 50 ohms impedence at their outputs, and that any tuner can handle the applied power with ease.

I use a 600W linear every day with a random length, end-fed antenna (like a backstay). The exciter is fed to the linear whose output goes to a high-quality tuner (Palstar AT1KM) which has repeatable settings. Output goes directly to the antenna. The ground system needs to be attached to the tuner's ground.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb