Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 02:27   #1

Boat: Cal 39 MKII
ACR Aquafix 406 EPIRB Battery Replacement Question

Good Morning All
I believe this question was addressed several years ago but times have changed much regarding EPIRB's.
I have a ACR Aquafix 406 that now requires replacement of the two battery packs (G3-06-2442 - 4 cell 12V lithium battery pack arranged in a square).
I have read the perspectives that sending off the whole unit is required since there is a pressure test that is done, but having opened the unit, the gasket looks perfect and the battery pack connectors and replacement looks extremely straight forward. I am a coastal cruiser - Canada to the Bahamas and out islands and do not plan on crossing oceans.
Does anyone know where I can get these battery packs so that I can replace myself, and if not, perspective on a reasonable replacement?
Does it make sense to get an EPIRB anymore with the new SPOT's???
Thank you all for your insight (in advance).
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 07:45   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: ACR Aquafix 406 EPIRB Battery Replacement Question

I've not seen replacement battery packs, but you can buy the individual cells and assemble the pack yourself. The connections inside the pack are cumbersome, but not too difficult. There are several diodes and thermal protection devices and not much room.

Disassemble the pack carefully, photos and notes along the way. Pay attention to the orientation of all the parts. Reassemble and secure with large heat shrink (available on amazon or ebay). Take your time.

Good lock
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 08:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Same unit. Do a look up on the individual batteries with the solder tab. I was unable to find them. The assembled pack is available only from the vendor but they will not deal with you. You must send it in. It was at this point that I looked up the data tech sheet for the batteries and checked each individual cell. They are plugged into a central point through diodes so that a bad cell will not let the device fail. Our unit is a couple years out of date but all cells tested as new at full charge. Sending the EPIRB for service means you are without for months and the cost is about the sane as a new one. I found no US or Caribbean service shops.

There is now an owner serviceable EPIRB for less than the the original ACR. I will NEVER buy another one that I can’t service.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-e...y-ii--16289571
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 17:33   #4

Boat: Cal 39 MKII

Thank you for the update on the owner serviceable ACR new ACR ELECTRONICS–GlobalFix™ V4 EPIRB Category II for $449.99

Seems a shame that I must throw away my Aquafix 406 because I can't find replacement battery packs. It says to replace batteries after 05/2015, but when I press the test button it only gives one green LED (says it should display 2 but I can't figure out where the second green LED is). There must be a home for these out of date EPIRB's. I also have a GlobalFix that is out of date as well that says to replace the batty by 10/2009 but still test GOOD.
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, epirb, men