Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 17:37   #16

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft
I have on 16k BTU Unit for a 40ft boat - it works OK even in the Caribbean. It sometimes starts with a Honda 2000 but mostly not. I was thinking about a slow start Unit. But if it runs its a pain as the gennie is on his limit and therefore loud. Never used again on Anchor this way. And I could not always use it on shore du the power limit in Marinas in some remote areas.

If I would do it again, I would buy one or max two small units. 8 - 10k BTU. Then I do what I do mostly anyway - I distribute the the cooler air with 12V fans within the boat. Yes you may not get the boat down to 20C but you will bring the humidity out and get it reasonable cool. It will be able to run with a Honda 2000 without too much noise.

I think 5K budget is short for several units - so maybe think about the distribution with 12V fans. Try the most important area first and then check. 12V fans are a must anyway.
I have 2 8kBTU Cruisair units on a 47'. I can use my 2000i to run as long as I only have 1 running at a time - the issue is the extra pull upon the start-up of the blower. I'm planning on building myself a simple soft-start circuit for the blowers so that I avoid the transient over-current during startup when the motor of the blower is at peak torque.

However, I don't use them at anchor as there's generally enough air flow over/through the boat to keep it reasonable : it's in Marinas/Harbours where the desire for a drier cooler cabin comes in...