Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 06:47   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: $4000 to spend and need much, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
We've been cruising for two years with a compass, vhf, depth finder and cheap Garmin chartplotter. If you have dc refrigeration, spend your money on a good bank of batteries and some solar.

Ralph
I agree, makes sure the basics are covered first.

I'm know I'm supposed to admit this, but when I bought my boat and brought her around from Daytona to the Panhandle of Fl, the chart plotter fell off it's data card on the first day, so all I had was the Garmin app on my phone and Ipad, wind and depth. An autopilot would have been nice, but we were fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:53   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

I would agree with the advice to ensure that you invest in the basic systems of the boat. Of course, these days, electronics probably count as one of those! So, assuming the $4000 is your budget for this and you're covering the rest of the repair/upgrade with other funds, I'd suggest - as mentioned above - you consider a GPS/plotter that can handle inputs from depth, wind and speed. By doing this, you save money by NOT needing to install the separate displays for each of these (however, all your eggs are in one basket - if the plotter fails, you can't see anything - but that is a trade-off you need to decide on for yourself and your level of cruising, waters, destinations, etc.) Stick with a system that can be upgraded or expanded, so that if your future budget permits, you can enhance your system. Of the rest of the system capability - depth is probably the next most important. Your Autopilot may need a speed transducer to accurately calibrate its timing. But you can also back these up (GPS, depth, windspeed), with handheld units at a very low comparative cost. There's nothing like entering an unfamiliar harbor under restricted visibility having a nice display on your (updated) plotter at the helm, to help show you the way in.

I had a 7" Furuno display at the helm of my 40' C&C, which I used for coastal cruising. It was sufficient for getting in and out of harbors. While "at sea", we really didn't need a larger display. Today, I have a new boat with a much larger 12" display. It still shows essentially the same thing - maybe just a little bigger. With only $4000, I'd stick with a smaller display - you can upgrade it in the future.

Finally - yes, by all means check eBay and your friends, and other yachties. You'd be surprised what some people consider "obsolete" and replace. I've found a amazing assortment of stuff on eBay - especially cabling and deeply discounted components. Good luck.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 11:20   #18

Depth, VHF and Good GPS. The GPS will give you speed. What size boat?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 11:24   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

No idea of where on the planet the OP is, which can change things.

But I've thought about it - it's too much $$$ for my boat, but i've spent some time doing some research.

You can get a Garmin 741 radar/plotter combo for around $2300 (That's the west marine price)
Add to it a Garmin Wind/Speed/Depth combo for around $1000 (for the older GMI 10 display, add another $200 for the GMI 20)

Add some assorted networking bits and bobs and you've got around $3500 into it. Spend the extra $500 on solar panels.

This all assumes that the OP's statement that they have a working AP - 'cause APs are silly expensive.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 12:00   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Vesper 8000 AIS $750
Maretron Dst110 NMEA 2000 speed depth transducer $300
Maretron WSO100 NMEA 2000 Wind transducer $580

=$1630

Buy two ipads and call it good. I would rather have Android, but Vesper app option sucks with that OS.

Matt
Old 20-11-2014, 12:04   #21

Boat: Cascade 36

I've been doing similar stuff on my boat during the last year and I can definitely recommend the craigslist, ebay, and other online methods route of obtaining things. Some examples of the things I've found.

1. B&G Zeus T7 off craigslist $550. Retail at the time was $1000 and is currently around $800. Guy sold the boat and was moving. March

2. Simrad 3g Radar with RI10 off craigslist/fishing forum, $1000. Retail is aorund $1600 I think. Different guy that had orders to go across the country so he sold his boat before installing. September

3. Simrad RS35 VHF/AIS/DSC Radio, $300 from online wholesaler. $400 retail. April

4. B&G Triton T41 Wind Speed Depth and Display Package, $1200 from same online wholesaler, retails for $1500. April

That above covers a "standard electronics package" for a boat and costs me about $3000. Everything was new and unused. The only downside is waiting for the right deal to come along. Been looking for well over a year and it just takes time for things to come around to you but its totally doable to outfit your boat with a basic package for under $4000.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 15:41   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I've been doing similar stuff on my boat during the last year and I can definitely recommend the craigslist, ebay, and other online methods route of obtaining things..........
While you may find some "bargains" on ebay and craigslist, you may well find that they are grey market (or even stolen on craigslist) and not covered by any manufacturer's warranty and not eligible for manufacturer's updates or support. Now how much have you saved?

Most of the time you can do pretty well on the Internet from authorized dealers and you will have a warranty and support.
Old 20-11-2014, 16:57   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Cutting to the chase: Probably lots of good suggestions. The "Where to spend" might be more important. Suggest you check out Home Page Wolf's marine. These guys have overstock, used etc. Loot at the site but CALL THEM or visit. There is easily 10X more unlisted inventory than is shown on site.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 17:32   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Depends ....

on how you intend to cruise. I know people who have "cruised" for 30 years and never gone more than 15 miles from home port, no nav equipment required.

However, if you intend to run from Toronto to Dry Tortugas you might need a little more equipment .
Old 22-11-2014, 06:18   #25

Thank you for all the responses. We will cruising the Bahamas and beyond. After reading all posts my priority list is shaping up like this:
VHF radio w/AIS & GPS
PLB
Chartplotter w/transducer
Radar
Weather Module
IF there is any money left would love to have an ipad for redundancy
Am I on the right track?
Yes, the $4000 I have to spend is slated for electronics only the other stuff has been done
GarySherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:20   #26

Ooops, forgot the windvane....starting the think the ipad is a far off dream!
GarySherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:43   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySherry View Post
Ooops, forgot the windvane....starting the think the ipad is a far off dream!
Depends. $300 for a N2K wind transducer, $300 for a N2K depth/speed combo, $700 for an AIS transponder with N2K over Wifi, $550 for a current model GPS iPad, $40 for SEAiq with free worldwide charts - there is a iPad instrument solution for $1,890.

You will still need a $150 VHF, and this isn't a radar solution.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:45   #28

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Another thought for radar is to use OpenCPN on a laptop with the Navico radar and connect the iPad wirelessly to it for remote control and use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 09:01   #29

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

To get the most bang for your buck, buy quality used electronics. Have them checked by a pro.

For example, the Garmin 3210 color 10" GPS/chartplotter I bought for $600, a small fraction of its new cost.

Don't worry about getting the latest and greatest instruments that all talk to each other. Forgetaboutit! Just get quality stand-alone units.

My complete 24-mile Furuno radar cost $1,000, on sale.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 10:48   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

add fishfinder to the list of plotter sounder and such, asit is a beneficial back up depth device and will show ground contours
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote