Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 21:06   #1

Boat: Kristen 465
3G Internet in Mexico

I am going to be in Mexico from Oct 2009 to Jun 2010 and I need to telecommute. My plan is to work a reverse week (2 days work, 5 days off) to keep us in beer money and pay bills back home. I have a good long distance Wifi solution and an SSB/Pactor. But I'm looking for a cellular-based option.

Verizon can get me coverage including US, Canada and Mexico for $130/month. It uses a USB adapter.

Does anyone have experience with other US carriers in Mexico.

A cheaper alternative may be for me to get a Mexican cellular data plan. Any experience on that?

Thanks,

Craig
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:58   #2

Boat: Kristen 465
Good cheap 3G internet is available in Mexico

Just answering my own question in case someone else looks for this in the future.

Telcel has a pay-as-you-go 3G modem plan that is cheaper than what Verizon quoted me for the US!

USB 3G modem for computer, harware cost = 880 pesos (about USD$70). It's a nice one with a mini-SD card slot and a sim card. The above cost included the sim card.

Service - activate for a day, week or month at a time by sending a specific text message. The cost for a month of service is 650 pesos (about USD$50). Unlimited use, but they do throttle the speed back after 3 Gigs of transfer is reached in a month (or prorated amounts in a week, etc). I'm told that does not affect normal use, but it does mean that I can't do online backups.

Works flawlessly and it's fast. I also get service in remote areas where I wouldn't expect any. But of course the coverage isn't nearly universal.

Craig
Cadence10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07   #3

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Great information, CadenceOne! I have been wondering the same thing. Thanks!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 20:35   #4

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Forget Wifi!,I just got on the Telcel unlimited plan ,what a deal!For about $250. I'm set for 4 months till I leave Mexico, in April.Crystal clear,FREE phone calls and internet anywhere there is cell reception,it seems to good to be true,but its not.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 06:43   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Craig, in your shoes I'd dig through the message files for both the Southbounders and Pacific Puddle Jumpers yahoo groups. Both these groups (~500 members) either permanently cruise in Mexico or are passing thru, at some length, before going further S and there has been a LOT of discussion on this topic. You need to join the group to read or post, of course, but given the dialogue already in place on this topic I would think digging thru the comments first would best serve your needs.

southbound_group : The Southbound Group
pacificpuddlejump : Pacific PuddleJump

Jack
Old 16-12-2009, 08:46   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Forget Wifi!,I just got on the Telcel unlimited plan ,what a deal!For about $250. I'm set for 4 months till I leave Mexico, in April.Crystal clear,FREE phone calls and internet anywhere there is cell reception,it seems to good to be true,but its not.
Free but $250? Can you explain the plan in more detail, deciding what to do when we are down that way next year... Thanks.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 11:46   #7

Heres the deal.Buy a magicjack or skype phone,go to a good Telcel store and purchase the 3G Usb modem for 1200 pesos,which includes your first month,then buy 3 additional months for 500 pesos per month(instead of 600 pesos by single month).Get the guy at telcel to activate it onto your laptop,and presto;free phone calls to Canada or US,and unlimited internet use.If in LaPaz, its one block up from Marina De LaPaz across from Arjona.Its that easy.
Old 13-04-2010, 08:21   #8

3G in Mexico has been great,with 10ft. extension usb cable to get stick up under bimini.Have had reception up to 40 miles offshore,to check gribs,email,etc.$500 pesos per month,unlimited,its a bargain.Check the telcel coverage map,sometimes range goes well beyond what map shows,when set up this way.Clear line of sight is important.Knowing exactly where cell towers are helps to know where to set the hook when picking anchorages.

Tags
Mexico