Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2022, 05:33   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
2 different chart regions on same card?

Not sure if this should be here or nav forum....

I have a B&G Zuess plotter. It has Navionics coastal US on it as well CMAPs US Enhanced. Normally use the Navionics.

We are planning on going to the furthermost SE part of the Bahamas, and noticed that Mayaguna/Acklinds/Samana Cay are cut out of the Navionics Coastal US card? Those 3 areas are on the Carib/MX/ Map set. I don't really understand this, but that is not my question.

If I purchase this set, I was told by cust service that I CANNOT load the charts that I want onto 1 card. They are different 'subscriptions' to my account. So when I cross into those waters, I need to choose SD card 2 from chart source menu on the plotter. Seems like a PITN? You would think that if you already purchased 1 chartpack and wanted another, they would be able to combine both on a single card?

Attaching a pic of what the area looks like for those that are interested.

Also, we have the physical chartbooks, so pls no recommendations that we upgrade the CMAPs to match them. Happy enough with using Navionics, we use all the time and are used to how the charts look. CMAPs have different look and feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nav bah.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	254181  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 2 different chart regions on same card?

Consider switching to OpenCPN. It will run on just about any device you've already got or a refurbished item from eBay for $120 or so. Load all the NOAA charts you want. The newest version 5.6.0 is very easy to use. Update by going back to NOAA or other sources, and come here if you need technical support. I gave up on commercial sources that seemed to me to be eating my lunch with chart costs.

You've got more invested in your Navionics coastal US charts than I have in my entire navigation set-up.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:44   #3

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: 2 different chart regions on same card?

Thanks. have open cpn on a computer. noaa doesn't have detailed charts for bahamas for free in this area. also, chartplotter is by wheel and what we use and always works. not like a computer. not worried about cost, just efficiency and convenience.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote