Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 06:36   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45
Zip ties vs wire for locking shackles

I'm putting on a new chain for the anchor, and am wondering if I should get Monel or stainless safety wire, or if zip ties are sufficient for locking my shackles. I don't leave my boat on the hook perminantly, but we will be staying on the boat for 2 weeks and will probably be picking the anchor up every day or two. So we would be able to keep an eye on them.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Zip ties vs wire for locking shackles

Not zip ties, Monel wire would likely be best, but its not readily available I don't think.
I use aircraft SS wire, cause I get it for free, but I'd assume any SS wire is good.
I would use .041 thick though, not .020
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:54   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Given the number of zip-ties I've seen fall off spontaneously as a result of UV damage, I think this is obvious. The smaller sizes are fragile.

Three passes, twist lightly, trim, and bend over. Monel seems less prone to snapping.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:54   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I will 2nd what a64pilot said.

Make sure to use a Crosby 209A shackle.

I always use Blue 242 Loctite also.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:59   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Zip ties break down pretty quickly under UV, & they also can be fairly brittle & easy to snap if/where they go around acute angles. Or if pinched where there's a sharp bend in the tie, especially near the locking mechanism.

I always wrench tighten my anchor shackles, since the galvanization can interfere with getting the properly snugged down sometimes. And then use seizing wire. Then, if you're feeling paranoid, you can also use some 1.5-2mm Spectra cord to mouse them shut along with the metal wire.
And to go full on tin foil hat mode, use some loctite in addition to the mechanical means as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48   #6

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Zip ties will work for at least 2 weeks, and probably last more than 2 months.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ yea, lol, zips work, just dont use tiny ones, use the biggest ones that will fit thru the shackle hole and put two on. And (I understand that) black is best.

but wire is ultimately more reliable, and you can buy a small spool that will last the rest of your life, and there is no special skill or tools needed to use it.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11   #8

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

And so if not zips, monel or stainless, or?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:15   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

I am curious why boaters use the type of shackle most commonly seen attached to boat anchors. In any test I have seen on anchor shackles, it always seems the failure (weak) point is the end of the shackle the pin is screwed into.

Why don't boaters use bolt-type shackles where the pin (bolt) passes through both ends of the shackle and is secured with a nut and cotter?
GoAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:16   #10

Stainless tie wire is what I use. A lifetime supply:

https://smile.amazon.com/Aircraft-To...9J28YBAWJ860PV

Dave
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:21   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post
I am curious why boaters use the type of shackle most commonly seen attached to boat anchors. In any test I have seen on anchor shackles, it always seems the failure (weak) point is the end of the shackle the pin is screwed into.

Why don't boaters use bolt-type shackles where the pin (bolt) passes through both ends of the shackle and is secured with a nut and cotter?
Many do, particularly in anchoring situations.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:23   #12

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Has anyone ever used stainless split rings? two of these, one on shackle, one on pin connected to each other and double it up maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stainless-steel-split-ring.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	147362  
Old 09-05-2017, 08:25   #13

Black wireties last a lot longer if exposed to sunlight. I've used many thousands (at work) I had a roll of safety wire for many years, misplaced it. Had to buy another. It will last many more years. Buy a roll, you wont buy more.
If the intent is to make it easily removable, plastic wiretie or sstring or nothing at at all is ok. It you want it to stay, safety wire is the proper fastener.
Buy the best boat you can afford, buy the best fasteners you can find.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
The below option. Or go to some 1.5mm-2mm Spectra seizing cord, as I suggested before. Even multiple passes of high tensile strength braided Spectra fishing line may work if properly secured to itself. But wire's worked for over a century, so...

Or you could experiment, key word experiment, with Red loctite. And I say experiment, as to some degree it'll be bonding to the galvanizing on the threads. Which, the galvanizing on them isn't always bonded on the greatest. And it's no where near as strong as the parent metal of the shackle. Clean threads are another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post

I've honestly wonder the above myself. And can only figure that perhaps it's due to tradition? That or perhaps that there's concern that the cottor pin may get pinched between the shackle & a rock. Maybe? I'm speculating here.

This style of shackle certainly is a lot less work to attach & detach. And also, I can think up several variations on how to secure one shut that would be more secure than "normal" anchor shackles, not to mention simpler.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Has anyone ever used stainless split rings? two of these, one on shackle, one on pin connected to each other and double it up maybe?
Ages ago, I'd sometimes use a split ring with it passing though the hole in the end of the shackle pin, as well as through the body of the shackle. As to whether or not it's secure enough in extreme situations??? But it's an option where pilers & seizing wire isn't required.