Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2011, 20:58   #31

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Your Boat Relationship

I like my boat. I don't love an inanimate object.

That being said, I enjoy living, sailing, cruising and actually enjoy working on her...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 21:15   #32

Im on my soon to be first boat..don't own her yet but im definitely in love.. she might be just fiber glass and wood but its a means of adventure and transportation to far away lands...I don't care about money so what ever I spend on her will be more then worth every penny. For me, its about enriching my life with the boat.
coyfish9906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 07:59   #33

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

Depends on you personal definition of "love". Love isn't necessarily an emotion, but can be an attitude. We display love by placing the needs of others before our own. Example: making sure the kids have food and clothes before considering our own needs, sometimes to the point of personally sacrificing to meet the other's needs. Think how many parents mortgage the house to pay a child's college expenses. That is a sacrifice for a loved one.

Based on that definition, many if not most boaters LOVE their boats. I see many sacrifices made in the name of a boat..our greatest sacrifices are our limited resources of time and money spent to maintain the boat. Sadly, in some cases, sacrifices to the boat may be prioritized ahead of family needs.

I don't consider boating as a pleasure reserved only for the rich, (as recently suggested by some in government). But if one is on a limited budget, then careful prioritizing of family needs must precede the "love" shown to a boat. We men frequently justify sacrificing our families of our scarce time and attention in the name of careers...I am guilty. But how much worse is sacrificing our family in the name of a boat.

Bill
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:12   #34

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
Based on that definition, many if not most boaters LOVE their boats. I see many sacrifices made in the name of a boat..our greatest sacrifices are our limited resources of time and money spent to maintain the boat. Sadly, in some cases, sacrifices to the boat may be prioritized ahead of family needs.
I am in the same situation. I try and balance the needs of the boat with the needs of the family and sometimes, I have to admit, the boat wins out.

In my mind, I justify this by thinking that money and time spent on the boat ultimately helps the family. With it, we have 3-4 weeks a year to spend together, to share experiences and challenge us. I believe that we as a family are closer and that my children are more mature and more accomplished because of that experience.

When we tried to sell the boat last year it was a sad time for everyone. Ultimately, we came to the conclusion that we have gotten as much or more from the boat than it cost although experience, confidence and family dynamics are intangible and hard to quantify in dollars.

But still, it sometimes bothers me how much of my resources, dreams and even identity are tied up in this boat. Sometimes it is almost pathological.
Old 16-10-2011, 09:19   #35

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaps View Post
I don't consider boating as a pleasure reserved only for the rich, (as recently suggested by some in government).
A friend of mine says that I am rich because I have a boat, to which I countered that I was poor because I had a boat. But then I thought, I not financially rich but I am experience rich so in a way, he is right.

As for governments targeting boaters (which luckily does not seem to be happening in my jurisdiction) I think of the money we as a group spend for our obsession, usually in regions that have little industry. The government should thank us for "spreading the wealth".
Old 16-10-2011, 09:21   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my uncle's antique sloop, built in 1903, on which all of us related to him learned to sail, is quite worthy of love--is a sweet gaff rigged sloop and has many people loving her--she is an historic treasure/place registered in 1982, and is under restoration at present for her 110th birthday, coming up in 2013. sails like a dream and makes hearts beat faster ...... i havent sailed with her since 1968, but she is in all of our hearts who sailed her. my uncle, who was born same year as his boat, has passed to other sailing grounds, but eleanor is still among the living.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:39   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyfish9906 View Post
Im on my soon to be first boat..don't own her yet but im definitely in love.. she might be just fiber glass and wood but its a means of adventure and transportation to far away lands...I don't care about money so what ever I spend on her will be more then worth every penny. For me, its about enriching my life with the boat.
Just goes to show that there are fine goodhearted people among us that can help make dreams come true..you have got to keep it going by doing for the next person..hope you have many adventures and see many far away places with your new love...and Zeehag aint nothing but a pimp!....oh yea Art is still missing...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:44   #38

pimp???? hail, if i can sell my ericson to someone who loves her then i win, and so does new owner and so does boat!!!!! win-win-win, all around!!!!!
i hope will is able to make this a good go for all of us-- she is a sweet boat. i definitely want to hear the adventure stories as he goes!!!

what secret name ye gonna rename her, will??!!!
Old 16-10-2011, 09:45   #39

Boat: Westerly Chieftain 8m
Well I must say I love my boat. I do all the work I can myself which is most of it. Which keeps the costs down, but I do live aboard full time and cruise every summer.
Westerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 09:55   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pimp???? hail, if i can sell my ericson to someone who loves her then i win, and so does new owner and so does boat!!!!! win-win-win, all around!!!!!
i hope will is able to make this a good go for all of us-- she is a sweet boat. i definitely want to hear the adventure stories as he goes!!!

what secret name ye gonna rename her, will??!!!
" Patience" would be a good name...as I already have "Ancie"..DVC
Old 16-10-2011, 09:56   #41

Im thinkin sea gypsy or somethin along those lines, im sure it will come too me the first time we take her out...and no worries I will make sure this is a win win win! Lol
Old 16-10-2011, 10:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
Just goes to show that there are fine goodhearted people among us that can help make dreams come true..you have got to keep it going by doing for the next person..hope you have many adventures and see many far away places with your new love...and Zeehag aint nothing but a pimp!....oh yea Art is still missing...DVC
No worries at all. I plan to spread the good karma where ever I can...she's a great lady and proud to call her a friend. Been liven on her a week now and loven every poor second I have...lol startin to get a body my ramen noodle soup thing goin on
Old 16-10-2011, 10:20   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
.lol startin to get a body my ramen noodle soup thing goin on
I've learned a lot about eating Ramon...DID YOU KNOW: you can add it to boiling water....let it set a few minutes, and wallah it can be eaten warm and with a fork.

If you have guests and want to pull out all the stops...turns out that thing that I thought was a desiccant pillow, actually contains spices that can be added to the above..for a real twist...

Granted its looses the convenience of its portability/pocket-ablility...but worth a go now and again.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:59   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No worries at all. I plan to spread the good karma where ever I can...she's a great lady and proud to call her a friend. Been liven on her a week now and loven every poor second I have...lol startin to get a body my ramen noodle soup thing goin on
No need to eat ramen only ..I heard a guy on NPR talking about a book he wrote wherein he would dive into dumpsters and get food..said they fed it to a wedding party and that most of the people were aware of where he got it! Said to let your nose be your guide..even ate meat as long as it didnt stink,said a little brown was ok too...oh well... hope you love your new boat and she does seem to be a good lady and I think I would like to call her my friend too..maybe we will all meet out there one day soon..DVC
Old 16-10-2011, 11:51   #45

add veggies and fish and whatever to it--makes it actually edible ..lol. and get together with robert and share as i shared with him when i had food and he didnt.... works well...tell him i sent ye...LOL