Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2013, 08:26   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Young Yachties-Sail article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housed View Post
On the plus side once all those baby boomer sailers keel over ...

Cheap boats for us young uns to retire into ; )

So to all you older cruisers I say , keep on top of that boat maintanance !

Signed
Young vulture

Many times you don't even have to wait til they keel over because some folks wait their whole life to buy and try the sailing adventure only to realize it's just too hard to start at such a late age.

Sadly, some of them only last a few months then find a dock to tie onto and sell.

Or they just day sail their awesome boats for a few years........

I believe it's best to get on the water now even if your real adventure will not start for 15 years.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:40   #47

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
"I could Always stop and get a job"

There was actually some mention of this hippie travel notion on Bill Moyers a few weeks ago. It used to be the crap service jobs are the one no one wanted so it was easy to pick up a waiting or cleaning job in a big city for a short time.

today those are the only jobs in many places so if you were to turn broke in the next town, you'd be putting in your application with 100s of others for that same crap job.
yes agree. the opportunities are not the same as they once were
Old 27-08-2013, 09:02   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We already have a young cruising couple designated with "first refusal rights" for the purchase of our ketch. Being retired for eleven years on my boat that I've owned for 28 years and doing something for the boat every day; I expect to offer up a great opportunity.
Old 27-08-2013, 09:08   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I believe it's best to get on the water now even if your real adventure will not start for 15 years.
Repeated for truth. Get something affordable, even if its small, and start having fun now.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:00   #50

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Some create their own opportunity. Here's some sites you can pass on to those 25 year olds which they may want to consider if they want to earn some money. The variable is they have to work very hard. My nephew worked in a number of different countries including Scotland at one point. As I pointed out earlier, even though he had is aeronautical engineering degree, he did not immediately get work. In fact he worked for over 2 years planting trees before he got a job in his field. He did not give up.

He was 25 when he graduated. Same age as the two individuals you reference.

Choices.

tree-planter.com

http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/treeplanting-jobs.html
If I have children, I'll do my best to guide them away from the choices I've made to get here. Isn't worth the health problems.long term risks and sacrifices. I'm 25.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:38   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post

If I have children, I'll do my best to guide them away from the choices I've made to get here. Isn't worth the health problems.long term risks and sacrifices. I'm 25.
One can only guide one's children. Probably the best advice I gave my kids once they got to highschool, was to make sure that when they got out of high school, that their marks were such that they could choose which career path they wanted to take, and that their choice would not be restricted because of their lack of marks. They both graduated with honors, my daughter chose University, my son chose a trade. I supported them both fully in their choices.

I agree, I'm glad they did not make some choices I made. They have it easier.
Old 27-08-2013, 12:23   #52

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
Well I'm 27 and I'm one of the younger individuals in the local boating community, though there are a couple guys my age in the yacht scene.

As for the defeatist streak in my generation, I think it's an unintended consequence of our upbringing. The message I got from school: "If you're not nabbed by murderers and molesters, and don't have a heart attack in your teens, don't worry 'cause we're working our very hardest to destroy the planet for you!"

Seriously, a lot of grim stuff to drill into a child in primary school.
Old 27-08-2013, 13:04   #53

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

I am 27, getting on the water in December in my first "yacht". I was looking over the numbers of my modest purchase and realized, after taxes it would be unrealistic for any of my "associates" my age to put that much into something that provided no security. They are hanging on to their homes, their jobs, their friends, and frankly Fox, and CBS scare the piss out of the under educated generation.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 16:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
I am 27, getting on the water in December in my first "yacht". I was looking over the numbers of my modest purchase and realized, after taxes it would be unrealistic for any of my "associates" my age to put that much into something that provided no security. They are hanging on to their homes, their jobs, their friends, and frankly Fox, and CBS scare the piss out of the under educated generation.
Fox? That's the comedy channel I've been hearing about ....correct?
Old 27-08-2013, 18:35   #55

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

It's kind of cute when I meet a sixty year old who's been sailing for five years try to lecture me about sailing because he's "more experienced".
Haha couldn't agree more!!! Love it
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 00:08   #56

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Fox? That's the comedy channel I've been hearing about ....correct?
haha, Ironically enough I know quite a few people that use it as gospel. What other choice does the American public have? Let alone going sailing in general our media is designed to make Americans fearful of travel, and why go anywhere else the best sites you would ever want to see are right here at home in the good ole' US of A. It's almost as bad as the french, but less educated.

I could pay round trip tickets to around the world for quite a few people, and they would be scared to get on the plane. It is not money, or the lack there of, in my opinion which is stopping our youth, or younger generation from packing up a bag and moving across the United States or whereever that is stopping them; but fear.

Pirates, you mean if I leave hometown suberbia there are chances I can meet a bad guy, and won't have the security of a cop that would take a half hour to get here and I would be dead anyhow?

Foreign people, you mean if I leave hometown suberbia people will speak other languages and I can treat everyone that isnt exactly like me completely with disrespect because I will be the minority?

Maybe I'm just rambling, but in the "real" world, people get fat and happy with their technology. Why go to the grand canyon when I can play COD all day, and then take a virtual tour for no money and order a pizza for the same cost it would be for a hotdog at the Grand Cayon.

Social Media sites and the internet make it virtually impossible to stay "off the grid". Talking the strangers is almost frowned upon.

What I see in europe is good though. It seems even with social media, more people are still holding on to those family settings .....ok now I'm rambling.

Point being, as generations get wrapped in this technology is king, they feel no need, or are controlled by fear, or are too comfortable in their "life" to ever dream of living outside the "norm".
Old 28-08-2013, 03:50   #57
o_q

You seem more focused on bashing the United States than anything.
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 04:16   #58

I don't see it that he's bashing the United States. He's partly saying we have gotten so used to technology that sailing off someplace is not what most folks think of doing on a weekend or a vacation much less as a way of life.

What if you sail out of cell phone range for heaven's sake? Where would you be then? You can't order Dominoes Pizza or anything.................

And it's somewhat true. I have a 7-11, a Kroger, Wendy's, Arby's, Taco Bell, a Hardware store, 4 other restaurants, a Tailor, ice cream store, 3 car dealerships, a bus terminal all within walking distance (less than 1 mile) of where I live.................

So when I sail across the bay and drop anchor it is a bit strange ..............to see lots of stars for one thing. And there aren't any businesses for miles of that location

Speaking of stars, has anyone thought to get a telescope..............I located Mars, Jupiter, and Sirius at 0500 as Orion was coming up last weekend on a sail
Old 28-08-2013, 04:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post
You seem more focused on bashing the United States than anything.
It did seem to come off that way. It's mostly that I have experience from the United States, so it would be rude if I would bash anyone else. Bashing my own country seems acceptable and to be honest the mast majority of the world's population wouldn't dream of going off in the sunset on a sailboat, they are just worried about running water...etc...
Old 28-08-2013, 04:28   #60

Quote:
Speaking of stars, has anyone thought to get a telescope..............I located Mars, Jupiter, and Sirius at 0500 as Orion was coming up last weekend on a sail
Had one for a bit, a little klunky and not really designed for a rolling deck. Our marine binoculars actually do a pretty good job. It's really quite impressive how much detail you can get out of the moon with some 7x50 binocs.

If you not already doing celestial navigation you might consider checking it out. A cheap plastic sextant and the math for a noonsite puts you on the chart, and night time stuff using the stars is icing on the cake.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, yacht