Re: Young Yachties-Sail article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I know one blogger personally that shamelessly asks for "donations"
That always bugs me.
Old 26-08-2013, 23:04   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Cruiseing without lot's of money in the bank, is possible if you can do things lot's of others can't do ! And if your WILLING to do work that some might call demeaning! I have done work at places I would rather not have been, but there was work there ! Like re-fire bricking 2 boilers in the Philipines in 110 deg heat ! They could not get the locals to do the job! But ya know I made enough to cruise for 6 mos more !! It can be done! But ya can't just be only a brain person sometimes it takes a strong back !!! It's not as easy today as it was when I started cruiseing, but the rough works is still out there if ya look !! Just sayin ya don't need to be rich to cruise, but it would sure would help !!LOL
Old 27-08-2013, 01:39   #33

Boat: Gib sea 43

I'm 41 and my other half is 35 , in the last year and a half cruising we only met one couple younger than us, most were in their 50s-60s with a few in their 70's.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 03:55   #34

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

It does come down to choices it doesn't it?
perhaps....and perhaps it is a combination of choices and opportunity. the variable being opportunity.
Old 27-08-2013, 04:31   #35

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa
Yeah, we have been live aboard cruising for 3 years now and are still to meet anyone younger than us, but I have heard they are out there.

Biggest thing that p!$$&s us off are a very few of the older cruisers that like to tell us we should be doing the "normal" thing with the house, car and the rest of the crap that is socially acceptable. Even had one couple tell us we haven't paid our debt to society. Had a good laugh at that one!!!
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 04:34   #36

Boat: Bristol 27

This family started out right here on CF with questions about moving aboard a boat etc. Long story short they bought a catamaran and ended up anchored near Key West at first. They ran into lots of young folks living very cheaply aboard old boats.

Boat Punks:

The Life Nomadik | Chronicles of a Lunatic Voyage
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 04:41   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

"I could Always stop and get a job"

There was actually some mention of this hippie travel notion on Bill Moyers a few weeks ago. It used to be the crap service jobs are the one no one wanted so it was easy to pick up a waiting or cleaning job in a big city for a short time.

today those are the only jobs in many places so if you were to turn broke in the next town, you'd be putting in your application with 100s of others for that same crap job.
Old 27-08-2013, 05:12   #38

Boat: Currently dreaming big

I think I am the youngest on the forum at only 20 with own my own boat. its a bit difficult to get some of you old blokes to take someone like me seriously sometimes but I live with it.
Old 27-08-2013, 06:16   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaarch View Post

perhaps....and perhaps it is a combination of choices and opportunity. the variable being opportunity.
Some create their own opportunity. Here's some sites you can pass on to those 25 year olds which they may want to consider if they want to earn some money. The variable is they have to work very hard. My nephew worked in a number of different countries including Scotland at one point. As I pointed out earlier, even though he had is aeronautical engineering degree, he did not immediately get work. In fact he worked for over 2 years planting trees before he got a job in his field. He did not give up.

He was 25 when he graduated. Same age as the two individuals you reference.

Choices.

tree-planter.com

http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/treeplanting-jobs.html
Old 27-08-2013, 06:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't think there is much of an increase. I'm 35 and I did a pacific crossing 8 years ago. There were a few young crews then and a few now. Most are on short term less than one year trips. Did not see the article, but there are always some out there.
I'm 35 right now, and it's definitely 95% a senior citizen's convention on the water. The idea that there are "a lot" of young people on the water, and by young we're saying under 50, is nuts.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 07:21   #41

On the plus side once all those baby boomer sailers keel over ...

Cheap boats for us young uns to retire into ; )

So to all you older cruisers I say , keep on top of that boat maintanance !

Signed
Young vulture
Housed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 07:25   #42

Boat: Currently dreaming big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housed View Post
On the plus side once all those baby boomer sailers keel over ...

Cheap boats for us young uns to retire into ; )

So to all you older cruisers I say , keep on top of that boat maintanance !

Signed
Young vulture
I like this guy
Old 27-08-2013, 07:55   #43

I started cruising in the mid 70s, when I was in my late 20s. Wife a couple of years younger. Harbor hopped from San Francisco, on down to Mazatlan. Went to Marquesas , Tuamotus, Tahiti, and Hawaii in 2 years time. Many times (but not always) we were the smallest boat in the anchorage, but lots of boats were sailed by people under 40. There were some older retired people, but they tended to be a little stand offish and had the big boats. Remember when a 40 footer was considered big? A few years later in the Carribean the age spread was much greater. More retired cruisers, but lots of charter boats that were crewed by young professional Captains, but were usually owned by retired folks. The French Islands seemed to have many more young people on small boats cruising. Reading Rebel Hearts post makes me think that when I get going again, I will fit right in with the grey haired crowd. I just hope I dont get stand offish. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:00   #44

I've had some interesting conversations with a few younger fellows who had bought their boats and were heading south. One was in his twenties the other in his thirties. The guy in his thirties sounded like he had a good job but, decided he wanted to do some sailing around the world before he got to into the career trap. He was heading south and excited as all hell. It was just a few days before Sandy hit and he left in the middle of the night to get across New York Harbor and stop in New Jersey before the storm hit. I sometimes wonder how he made out or if his boat dreams ended there with the storm.

The other fellow was heading south the year before and was filling his boat with pieces of wood for projects he planned to do as he cruised. He was doing it before he felt the need to settle down and get a real job. He also was excited about the trip. Though I'm not sure how much sailing he had done before buying the boat. Also wondered how he is doing or where he ended up.

So there are some who are still heading out at younger ages than most cruisers. Though I wonder if their dream may have turned out to be much different from the reality than they thought. The challenges may be greater than they thought too. We don't hear too often about those who try and give up somewhere along the way. But, at least they gave it a go.
Old 27-08-2013, 08:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise View Post
I think I am the youngest on the forum at only 20 with own my own boat. its a bit difficult to get some of you old blokes to take someone like me seriously sometimes but I live with it.
It's kind of cute when I meet a sixty year old who's been sailing for five years try to lecture me about sailing because he's "more experienced".
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, yacht