Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 15:18   #61

Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji

In the news article I linked above, Whitaker is quoted as saying "Yachties are the least risk for COVID spread, all of us are conscientious to the environment, conscientious to culture, conscientious to spreading any kind of disease."

The Zatara mob are none of those things. Whitaker's recent words are the opposite of his statements and behaviour exhibited in the earlier videos. I think he has been stung by the criticism here and on other fora, and is trying to revise the story. But actions speak louder.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 15:19   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji

If they'd been positive the serious problems would have begun.. a less forgiving attitude methinks.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 15:39   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
In the news article I linked above, Whitaker is quoted as saying "Yachties are the least risk for COVID spread, all of us are conscientious to the environment, conscientious to culture, conscientious to spreading any kind of disease."

The Zatara mob are none of those things. Whitaker's recent words are the opposite of his statements and behaviour exhibited in the earlier videos. I think he has been stung by the criticism here and on other fora, and is trying to revise the story. But actions speak louder.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize he was an epidemiologist and ecologist. I wonder if he'd be willing to post his credentials. /s

I can't believe people are so willing to take advice from internet shills.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 17:43   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Well, it is pretty clear that Zatara absolutely did not follow the procedures that Keith and the officials detail in the video. Some folks always try to skate by, and it often works; this is a good case, but listening to Keith talk this through is high hypocricy.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:59   #65

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Logic isn't part of the equation. If it were, then the whole 14 day "quarantine" passage time doesn't stand up to scrutiny. For instance, crew member A gets inflected the day on or just before departure and remains asymptomatic, ten days A inflects crew member B who remains pre symptomatic until after disembarkation.
1. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean the PCR test won't show the presence of the virus in your body. It will.

2. The Fijiian health personnel are testing EVERYBODY ON BOARD TWO DAYS BEFORE THE END OF THEIR QUARANTINE PERIOD. Tests results are known before ANYbody gets off the boat.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 19:16   #66
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
1. Being asymptomatic doesn't mean the PCR test won't show the presence of the virus in your body. It will.

2. The Fijiian health personnel are testing EVERYBODY ON BOARD TWO DAYS BEFORE THE END OF THEIR QUARANTINE PERIOD. Tests results are known before ANYbody gets off the boat.
No need to shout .

Your point proves that the passage time is not a full substitute for quarantine time. Clearly you can't get tested until you arrive regardless of say a 16 day passage time or whatever.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 19:36   #67

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Does their latest vid remind anyone of this....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/vid...ustralia-video

If they didn't get their results until after sailing what would have happened if one of them had been asymptomatic? No way forward? No way back?
Old 02-08-2020, 22:35   #68

Quote:
No need to shout .

Your pointrly you can't get tested until you arrive regardless of say a 16 day passage time or whatever.
Wrong. My point was that even asymptomatic carriers will test positive. In this instance with Fiji, testing is required before departing previous port, then tested again upon arrival. Zatara did that, it's in their videos.

But don't let the facts bother get in the way of your ranting.
Old 03-08-2020, 00:04   #69
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Wrong. My point was that even asymptomatic carriers will test positive. In this instance with Fiji, testing is required before departing previous port, then tested again upon arrival. Zatara did that, it's in their videos.

But don't let the facts bother get in the way of your ranting.
Wrong???????

I agree that asymptomatic carriers will test positive, I have never suggested otherwise.

Others made the argument that sufficient passage time (14 days) was all that is needed to prove CV19 free. I disagreed with that argument as more is needed and why. As you say you, testing is required before disembarkation - I also agree.

However testing along is not enough, the only important aspect of the test is knowing the result. The Zatara social media record suggests they departed NZ before receiving the results of their NZ departure test.

I must apologise for my poor word-smithing skills as I have never intended to give you cause to consider my opinion on Zatara to be a rant. You do realise it is possible to hold a contrary opinion and still remain civil, frank and communicative.

And let's not forget the inconvenient fact the Zatara crew broke self isolation at Great Barrier Island before departing NZ; it is in their social media records.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:50   #70

Boat: Lagoon 42

I just watched their video of them arriving at Minerva reef. Everything between authorities and Zatara seemed cordial. Can't say the same for the Kiwi boat that seemed to have a very entitled posture that also anchored there. I think all of this is just blown way out of proportion. Yah, we yanks, especially Texans, are an ugly bunch. But, sometimes its just not as bad as the preconceived opinions many have about others. Remember, most people don't blog their adventures and give you a day to day peek in to their lives. I suspect the Zatara crew isn't even near being the worst offenders sailing the world. But, they do have 2 things working against them: Texas and America. Not sure that is their problem though. Oh well.. wish I were in Fiji
introverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:56   #71

Quote:
Wrong???????

I agree that asymptomatic carriers will test positive, I have never suggested otherwise.
But of course you did. You said:
Quote:
For instance, crew member A gets inflected the day on or just before departure and remains asymptomatic, ten days A inflects crew member B who remains pre symptomatic until after disembarkation.
With Fiji both requiring testing both at vessel's last port AND testing again upon arrival, before allowing disembarkation, crew member B in your example , despite being asymptomatic, would test positive, and wouldn't be allowed to disembark at all.

So, if you're still confused, that's why I used the word "wrong." I hope the italics will be accepted for emphasis, I admit the use of caps was a bit lazy on my part.

FWIW, when my wife and I watched the video that included them playing on deck, in an anchorage where there was at least one other boat present, it rubbed us the wrong way, too.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:06   #72

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by introverted View Post
I just watched their video of them arriving at Minerva reef. Everything between authorities and Zatara seemed cordial. Can't say the same for the Kiwi boat that seemed to have a very entitled posture that also anchored there. I think all of this is just blown way out of proportion. Yah, we yanks, especially Texans, are an ugly bunch. But, sometimes its just not as bad as the preconceived opinions many have about others. Remember, most people don't blog their adventures and give you a day to day peek in to their lives. I suspect the Zatara crew isn't even near being the worst offenders sailing the world. But, they do have 2 things working against them: Texas and America. Not sure that is their problem though. Oh well.. wish I were in Fiji

This post nailed it and I completely agree. He is a confident man, and leads his family safely around the world by sea. He probably has more sea miles than some of his harshest critics on this forum. I watched their video on arriving at the Minevara Reef. In the airline industry we would say he "exercised excellent CRM" in managing Tongan Navy officials to a positive outcome for his own ship and crew. The NZ skipper, who I completely emphasize with, did not. Rather than hating on Zatara why not try and learn something from them? While most of the world is locked down, he got his family safely from NZ to Fiji. Kudos. Myself (Canadian), and my Danish wife really enjoy the videos we've seen from them. Some folks really need to dial back the hate.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:12   #73
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht Zatara Arrvies in Fiji

Quote:
But of course you did. You said:

With Fiji both requiring testing both at vessel's last port AND testing again upon arrival, before allowing disembarkation, crew member B in your example , despite being asymptomatic, would test positive, and wouldn't be allowed to disembark at all.

So, if you're still confused, that's why I used the word "wrong." I hope the italics will be accepted for emphasis, I admit the use of caps was a bit lazy on my part.

FWIW, when my wife and I watched the video that included them playing on deck, in an anchorage where there was at least one other boat present, it rubbed us the wrong way, too.
Placing a lot of faith in tests that have proved dodgey at best.. A basket of Paw Paws tested positive..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:09   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Placing a lot of faith in tests that have proved dodgey at best.. A basket of Paw Paws tested positive..
Boatman, I usually find your posts to be informative and knowledgeable, so if this one was said in jest, then please ignore my thick-headedness, and disregard the rest of this post!

I had no idea what "Paw Paws" are, so I looked it up. Found the numerous reports of the Tanzanian President claiming that he had sent ficticiously labeled non-human samples, including pawaw fruit, to their lab, and the results came back positive for CoVid.

Apparently, there is no proof that this actually ever happened. News media reported what President Magafuli claimed. Snopes lists it as "unproven" for this reason. It's been over three months, still no evidence that it happened.

Calling the molecular level RT-PCR test "dodgey at best" is a bit of a reach. This is currently THE most reliable testing method there is, and it's used pretty much universally at this time. Can there be problems with it? Of course, in the end the testing accuracy, given proper collection methods are employed, is only as good as the laboratory performing the analysis.
Old 11-08-2020, 15:12   #75

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Calling the molecular level RT-PCR test "dodgey at best" is a bit of a reach. This is currently THE most reliable testing method there is, and it's used pretty much universally at this time. Can there be problems with it? Of course, in the end the testing accuracy, given proper collection methods are employed, is only as good as the laboratory performing the analysis.
The trouble with the PCR test is that you have to have active virus in the sample - that's why they now recommend swabbing both nose and throat to increase reliability. As it is, something like 30% of infected come back with a false negative.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing